View Full Version : Books or tips to help.

Tesbabe
01-28-12, 09:16 AM
HI I’m new here, my names Tes.

I started looking into ADHD after my daughter was referred to camhs in October. I always felt like my memory was abnormal, and I procrastinate way too much without knowing why, and I can focus on a conversation even important ones, I forget appointments… the list could go on and on. I used to think I was useless, I can’t give any reasons for why I’m doing or not doing what I should, I just can’t. I read that ADHD is often hereditary and that lead me to read about the adult signs. I was blown away when I did, I “ticked every box” so to speak, and I cried. I cried because at last I didn’t have to feel useless any more. I went to see my Dr in November because I suspected I might have adult ADHD. I was referred to see a psychologist. I attended this appointment last week.

He asked me lots of questions mostly about my behaviour as a child nothing about the person I am now really. He said to give me the diagnosis of having ADHD he would have to be 110% sure. I said I didn’t want medication for the condition; I’d rather try other ways first. He said there are no support groups for this in this area. The nearest one to me would be London. I live about a 2hr drive from there. If he was to give me the diagnosis that he would recommend I went onto medication. At the end of the session he said from the information I gave him I have had problems at school, home and college. As I have never had problems at work (haven’t worked in 15 years) he could not be 110% sure and as I do not want medication the best thing would be to get some books and try the self-help. He also said I was not a good candidate for the medication because it tends to make you gain weight and I am already over weight, and also makes your BP higher. He told me to read the books then do the exercises and then go back to my Dr’s in 4 months to be re-referred if things do not change.

I have problems reading books; In fact I do not think I have ever read a whole book since I was at school except pre-school books to my daughter. I find it hard to take in the text. I normally have to read things several times to take in what is said on the page. The thought of reading and following through with a whole book with exercises scares me. I have doubts before I have even ordered the book.

The book he suggested was: Mastering Your Adult ADHD: Workbook: A cognitive- behavioral
treatment program: A Cognitive- behavioral Treatment Program: Client Workbook

Do any of you have good books you have used or can recommend?
Also any tips on things that can help me manage me better.

Thanks
Tes

babidi
01-28-12, 10:46 AM
HI Iím new here, my names Tes.

I started looking into ADHD after my daughter was referred to camhs in October. I always felt like my memory was abnormal, and I procrastinate way too much without knowing why, and I can focus on a conversation even important ones, I forget appointmentsÖ the list could go on and on. I used to think I was useless, I canít give any reasons for why Iím doing or not doing what I should, I just canít. I read that ADHD is often hereditary and that lead me to read about the adult signs. I was blown away when I did, I ďticked every boxĒ so to speak, and I cried. I cried because at last I didnít have to feel useless any more. I went to see my Dr in November because I suspected I might have adult ADHD. I was referred to see a psychologist. I attended this appointment last week.

He asked me lots of questions mostly about my behaviour as a child nothing about the person I am now really. He said to give me the diagnosis of having ADHD he would have to be 110% sure. I said I didnít want medication for the condition; Iíd rather try other ways first. He said there are no support groups for this in this area. The nearest one to me would be London. I live about a 2hr drive from there. If he was to give me the diagnosis that he would recommend I went onto medication. At the end of the session he said from the information I gave him I have had problems at school, home and college. As I have never had problems at work (havenít worked in 15 years) he could not be 110% sure and as I do not want medication the best thing would be to get some books and try the self-help. He also said I was not a good candidate for the medication because it tends to make you gain weight and I am already over weight, and also makes your BP higher. He told me to read the books then do the exercises and then go back to my Drís in 4 months to be re-referred if things do not change.

I have problems reading books; In fact I do not think I have ever read a whole book since I was at school except pre-school books to my daughter. I find it hard to take in the text. I normally have to read things several times to take in what is said on the page. The thought of reading and following through with a whole book with exercises scares me. I have doubts before I have even ordered the book.

The book he suggested was: Mastering Your Adult ADHD: Workbook: A cognitive- behavioral
treatment program: A Cognitive- behavioral Treatment Program: Client Workbook

Do any of you have good books you have used or can recommend?
Also any tips on things that can help me manage me better.

Thanks
Tes

I own heaps of Adult ADHD books and I agree with the book that your doctor has suggested.

"Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program Client Workbook" would be the first book I would recommend.

The book is pretty thin and I reckon you can finish the book in a couple of hours.

I would also recommend taking your ADHD medication 20-30 minutes before reading the book. I reckon you will "accidentally" read the whole book and time will fly with the help of the medication...

My tip:

In the book, it instructs using a notebook (for the To-do/Task list) and calendar (for meetings/appointments/classes). Instead of a notebook and calendar, you can use the Notes and Calendar app respectively on your cell/mobile phone. It's more convenient.

Tesbabe
01-28-12, 11:38 AM
Hi babidi,

Thank you :)
That's the book I'll go for then. I was thinking of getting a couple, I notice that some have been published as audio, but seem to be way more expensive. I would get on better with audio. I will get "Mastering Your Adult ADHD: Workbook" and try really hard to read and follow it.
I do use a calender now, but most of the time I don't look at it, so I guess I need to try harder. I make myself to-do lists most days. I found that I respond better to life that way, although most days the list is not completed. with a list I find I do more than without one.
I am not on meds, I do not really want them. I don't even like taking pain killers. Plus I the Dr I saw was reluctant as he told me the mad's often make a client gain weight and I am already obese. It was suggested I try this for 4 months before I contact my Dr's to go down that path.

Tes

Dizfriz
01-28-12, 01:51 PM
I might suggest this: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1099114#post1099114
"What is ADHD and how does it affect people"

From here you can gain a lot of information about ADHD. Both the transcript and the videos are well worth while.

Probably the best tool for dealing with ADHD is good science based understanding of the disorder. I think it essential.

The main post on this is http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

Most of the essays are directed at parents but they may be of some help in understanding the adult version of ADHD.

Good luck,

Dizfriz

Candlewax
01-28-12, 02:48 PM
Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now, A New Earth, Stillness Speaks

He might be a bit out there for your taste, but I'd say give it a try. His books have really helped me to create more peace and quiet in my head. He basically gives an explanation of eastern philosophy for a western audience, I still try to meditate every day and it's really useful. You can get the audiobooks too if reading them is too hard.

babidi
01-28-12, 04:36 PM
Hi babidi,

Thank you :)
That's the book I'll go for then. I was thinking of getting a couple, I notice that some have been published as audio, but seem to be way more expensive. I would get on better with audio. I will get "Mastering Your Adult ADHD: Workbook" and try really hard to read and follow it.
I do use a calender now, but most of the time I don't look at it, so I guess I need to try harder. I make myself to-do lists most days. I found that I respond better to life that way, although most days the list is not completed. with a list I find I do more than without one.
I am not on meds, I do not really want them. I don't even like taking pain killers. Plus I the Dr I saw was reluctant as he told me the mad's often make a client gain weight and I am already obese. It was suggested I try this for 4 months before I contact my Dr's to go down that path.

Tes

If you want a couple more books, I'd recommend:

Taking Charge of Adult ADHD

More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD