View Full Version : Focalin XR

dhea31
01-30-12, 01:14 PM
Was on Ritalin IR 10 mg 2x day. It worked ok but I hated the highs and lows. We switched to Focalin XR 15mg capsule and it works perfect. Actually I open the capsule up and sprinkle half the capsule on pudding in the am and in the aft sprinkle the other half. This medicine is a miracle. You will find after taking it for 2 weeks that the add is gone. It wont matter if you miss a dose because you feel normal again. I recommend this drug to anyone needing a more constant drug than ups and downs with the immediate release (IR) forms.:cool:

cameron90
01-30-12, 02:35 PM
Even if the doctor did instruct you to open the capsule and use the medication in that way, I think that this post is somewhat encouraging the use of medication in a way that is not intended. Like I said, if your doctor is OK with this and it works for you, I'm glad. But in saying that "You will find after taking it for 2 weeks that the add is gone" kind of implies something else altogether. I'm not familiar with Focalin XR but XR means extended release and I don't think that any doctor would instruct a patient to tamper with a extended release formulation of a medication, kind of defeats the purpose...

dhea31
01-30-12, 04:11 PM
The capsule is meant to be opened and sprinkled on applesauce or pudding ect. Its cost effective too. Meaning you can get more medicine in a pill and only needing it every two days perhaps

dhea31
01-30-12, 04:14 PM
Oh yeh forgot to add this. If your not familiar with this medicine then you really dont have all the info to comment on its use. Medicine can be used in different ways as long as the end result is achieved. In this case the add has cleared with concurrent use of Focalin XR. Good luck to others who try this also:yes:

BR549
01-30-12, 04:26 PM
MOD NOTE:

With regards to dosing and administration of medications, ADD Forums defers to Manufacturer's Prescribing/Patient Guidelines and US law. Focalin XR Manufacturer's guidelines state:

www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/focalinXR_PPI.pdf
How should FOCALIN XR be taken?
• Swallow FOCALIN XR capsules whole with water or other liquids. Do not chew, crush, or divide the capsules or
the beads in the capsule. If you or your child cannot swallow the capsule, open it and sprinkle the small beads of
medicine over a spoonful of applesauce and swallow it right away without chewing.
ADD Forums Guidelines prohibit posts containing the illegal or improper use of meds, which includes administering medications in any way other than what the manufacturer's guidelines state, which clearly state NOT to divide the capsules or beads in the capsules.
From ADD Forums Guidelines:
In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way. This includes talk about overdoses or O.D.'s.

wreckseetee
01-31-12, 11:11 AM
I use Focalin xr 15 mg...take the whole pill and it lasts all day...don't understand the need for splitting the dose...I do endorse this medication...it has worked very well for me...I was on 10mg in am and 10mg in pm...this may be an option for those who experience a reoccurance of symptoms...I changed because one 10mg wasn't enough, so we went to 2 (Dr. prescribed), then to one 15mg...it's a process to find the right drug and dosage.

cameron90
01-31-12, 11:32 AM
Oh yeh forgot to add this. If your not familiar with this medicine then you really dont have all the info to comment on its use. Medicine can be used in different ways as long as the end result is achieved. In this case the add has cleared with concurrent use of Focalin XR. Good luck to others who try this also:yes:

I am probably more familiar with this medication than you are, considering what you just said and endorsed use of this medication in a manner that would be considered improper use and/or abuse, in blatant violation of the forum guidelines, as BR549 has already pointed out. Your "ends justifies the means" argument is flawed. Yes, medications can be used in different ways, but not how you are using them, against your prescribing doctor's advice, manufacturer guidelines and federal law. Please think twice before making such claims and championing improper or illegal use of a controlled substance -- it's potential harmful and undermines the legitimacy of a helpful online community of responsible people (i.e., this forum).

Some healthy reading:

Forum Guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842)

hollywood
01-31-12, 04:22 PM
I'm not on anybody's side her but if you go to the manufacturer home page on focalin xr it mentions that the doses can be split by sprinking the contents on apple sauce. Do you guys really think this guys going out of his way to glorify misuse of the medication or do you think he's just following doctors orders? I don't use it that way, I always felt it may screw up the helpful release profile and duration of the drug, but I've heard doctors say this can be done? Isn't this kind of overkill? I thought about not saying anything , but the more I live life to not say anything is to not stand up for whats right and whats wrong. I don't feel like he is suggesting abuse. Maybe the general tone should be to relax a little? Just saying-

cameron90
01-31-12, 05:32 PM
I'm not on anybody's side her but if you go to the manufacturer home page on focalin xr it mentions that the doses can be split by sprinking the contents on apple sauce. Do you guys really think this guys going out of his way to glorify misuse of the medication or do you think he's just following doctors orders? I don't use it that way, I always felt it may screw up the helpful release profile and duration of the drug, but I've heard doctors say this can be done? Isn't this kind of overkill? I thought about not saying anything , but the more I live life to not say anything is to not stand up for whats right and whats wrong. I don't feel like he is suggesting abuse. Maybe the general tone should be to relax a little? Just saying-

You're right. My apologies dhea31. I realize that I came off kind of harsh, but that was in response to this statement:

Medicine can be used in different ways as long as the end result is achieved. In this case the add has cleared with concurrent use of Focalin XR. Good luck to others who try this also:yes:

The manufacturers prescribing instructions do state:

Focalin XR is intended for oral administration once daily in the morning. Focalin XR capsules may be swallowed whole, or capsule contents can be sprinkled on applesauce. Focalin XR and/or their contents should not be crushed, chewed, or divided (2)

I admit that I was wrong about opening the capsule. Sprinkling is fine, but dividing the dose is technically "improper" use and the posts were encouraging people to "give it a try". I just want to stress that you should take your medication as prescribed by your doctor and as per the patient information.

Some people may just get the wrong idea, and I do understand now that the post was in good intention (cost effectiveness or whatnot) but there were factual errors and the tone was a tad bit aggravating.

hollywood
02-01-12, 09:52 AM
Cameron,

You have the best intentions. I totally agree with where you are coming from. It's just that tone can be very arbitrary sometimes when on the internet. Oh, that prozac is not helping me that much. I'm still moving on with it in hopes that a couple of weeks is too early and I'm thinking that its too early to pick up on any benefits. The only thing I've noticed is that my mornings are alot slower. It's either that or my perception of it is.

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 09:59 AM
I'm glad you think your ADD is gone, but I can assure you that if you actually have ADD, it WONT be gone.

ADD doesn't just "go away". It can be well treated with the right medication, but skipping a dose usually signals a nightmare.

cameron90
02-01-12, 10:12 AM
I'm glad you think your ADD is gone, but I can assure you that if you actually have ADD, it WONT be gone.

ADD doesn't just "go away". It can be well treated with the right medication, but skipping a dose usually signals a nightmare.

Yup, ADHD is chronic, but not unmanageable. After being treated for even a short period, I find that if I do not take my meds, my ADHD symptoms are so much worse. I don't know if it's a rebound effect, or if it's just how it is, but feels worse relative to previous days?

BR549
02-01-12, 10:23 AM
The original Moderator's Note posted above, quotes the original manufacturer's guidelines which state that the capsule can be opened and sprinkled over applesauce. It also states that the dose should not be split, but taken all at once.

Suggesting or condoning the use or administration of medication in a way other that what the manufacturer advises is considered improper use of medication under ADDF Guidelines and is prohibited on the forums.

Suggesting that it will save money by opening the capsule and taking half now and half later is considered condoning the improper use of medication. If members take issue with this guideline or how any decision is determined, they need to contact a moderator or administration.

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 10:29 AM
Yup, ADHD is chronic, but not unmanageable. After being treated for even a short period, I find that if I do not take my meds, my ADHD symptoms are so much worse. I don't know if it's a rebound effect, or if it's just how it is, but feels worse relative to previous days?

I imagine withdrawl effects can make things feel pretty bad.

A stimulant crash + ADHD symptoms can make one feel pretty dysfunctional.

But I think it would certainly be worth it. I'd rather feel worse at the end of the day than I do now, if it mean't I could be more productive during the day than I am now.

dhea31
02-03-12, 04:15 PM
Wow never expected all this response. The point I was making was just this... I find by taking 1/2 the dose in the am and the second half in the aft helps me to not get the wired effect and possible diarrhea that comes from the stimulant action of Focalin. I cannot afford to buy 90 capsules of 5mg focalin to take three times a day. My insurance will not pay for that amount of pills. I enjoy the ADD relief that comes from taking half in the am and the other half in the pm. My worry is taking a higher dose once per day in the am will drop me in the aft and I hate that feeling. I hope this clears up any misinformation

cameron90
02-03-12, 07:23 PM
Wow never expected all this response. The point I was making was just this... I find by taking 1/2 the dose in the am and the second half in the aft helps me to not get the wired effect and possible diarrhea that comes from the stimulant action of Focalin. I cannot afford to buy 90 capsules of 5mg focalin to take three times a day. My insurance will not pay for that amount of pills. I enjoy the ADD relief that comes from taking half in the am and the other half in the pm. My worry is taking a higher dose once per day in the am will drop me in the aft and I hate that feeling. I hope this clears up any misinformation

Why won't your insurance cover it? Is it due to the fact that there are less costly medications for a similar purpose available, or there isn't a generic available, or something else? I had really bad problems with insurance companies and their sneaky antics...

tkolarik
02-06-12, 03:16 PM
My son was diagnosed very young with severe ADHD and associated OCDs. We tried nearly every medication. Many of the meds that his psychiatrist and pediatrician prescribed were too large for him to swallow at his age. For one drug, also, it specifically said not to open the capsule because the inhaled powder could cause something like birth defects to adults. the pediatrician to us to find a compounding pharmacist and wrote the prescription for the pharmacist to open the capsule and compound it into a suspension in which we could give the medicine orally.

Now a days, I pretty much tell his doctors what doses and times I want based on my sons behavior and they write the scripts, I state my case they 99% agree. The only problem I have these days is with the health insurance companies. We have cannot get 90 or 120 tabs per month, we have to get a higher dose and cut the pills so we can dispense 4 (1/2) tabs per day (ALL ACCORDING TO THE DOCTOR'S WRITTEN ORDERS). After all, I have to take a prescription bottle with dosing directions to my sons school for the nurse to dispense.

As the bottle says "unless otherwise directed"!