View Full Version : I think I might have ADHD, but I don't know what to do about it

KnuckleC
01-30-12, 06:49 PM
Hey guys,

I'm 22 years old and I'm in my second semester of grad school, and I fairly certain that I have ADHD. For the life of me, I can't focus during class, even when it's a subject that I really like or that I'm really interested in. I try to take notes or listen to professors and within a couple minutes my brain is off in a completely different place, and i'm drawing nonsense in my notebook. Every semester I buy a new 5 subject notebook with the intent of using it, taking notes, making this semester different than all the others. And every semester that doesn't happen. Writing papers for me is the worst. I always have the intention of writing the paper a couple weeks beforehand, just getting it over with. And then without fail, I'm sitting there at 3am, a few hours before its due, typing furiously on the computer because everytime I tried to write the damn paper I couldn't get my brain to focus.

THis is the same reason I never handed in HW in high school. I would either forget, or I just couldn't get myself to sit down and do it. By the end of 11th grade, I started copying HW just so that I didn't have too hear it from my parents or my teachers anymore. Beyond that, I can never seem to sit still, and my brain is constantly jumping all over the place. This is especially obnoxious when it's the middle of the night and I just want to go to bed. I have a really quick temper too, and I am really easy to anger or frustrate. And when I get frustrated about something, it's like everything else stops and that's all I can think about.

I'm a really social person, and I'm really well liked, and I have a great group of friends. But trying too listen to people when they're talking to me about something, like a problem they're having, is so hard for me. And it's not that I don't care about what they're saying. I really do. It's just hard for me to stay on task. I manage to do a pretty good job hiding it though. But sometimes I say things, especially to my best friend bc we spend a lot of time together, and I have no idea why I say them, and they're not nice. I can be such a jerk. And that's really not me. I won't even want to say these things, its just that all of the sudden I'm saying something and I want to take it back but it's too late. And then I keep going. It's awful.

The thing is though, I've always done really well in school, without even having to try. A teacher or professor could give me a test and I'll finish it first, and have one of the best grades. That paper that I finished a half an hour before it was due gets an A every time. I'm not saying this to brag or anything like that, I'm saying it because the fact that I've always been able to perform well in school has prevented anyone from picking up on the fact that I probably have ADHD. The fact that I like to read, and can spend hours reading a good book or playing scrabble also throws people off the scent.

But getting good grades isn't enough for me. I want to be able to sit in class and take notes, and write a paper when I'm not in panic mode. I'm in grad school now, its about what I'm learning not the grades that I'm getting. And I can't learn if I can't pay attention.

So yeah, that was a lot of information. I'm sorry about that. I really would just like to know, if that stuff sounds familiar to anyone? Does it seem like I'm correct and that I do have ADHD? If so, could anyone tell me how to go about getting a diagnosis for this? I really don't know where to start.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Tara

BR549
01-30-12, 10:26 PM
Hi KnuckleC! Welcome to the forums! :)

While I'm not a pdoc, some of what you've described certainly sounds like ADHD. The best way to find out is to talk with a psychiatrist who specializes in diagnosing and treating ADHD. Here's a thread that might help you "Steps to get assessed for ADHD (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85894)". It's one of several informational threads stickied in this section of the forum. You may find the answers to other questions in those threads as well. :)

I hope you'll keep us posted on what you plan to do!