View Full Version : PC (Windows or other OS) or Mac, Android/iOS/Symbian/Blackberry/Windows mobile/other

cameron90
01-30-12, 07:13 PM
What Device are You Using to Post Here?
(http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117095)

This thread sparked my curiosity as to what you own/prefer and why? Personally, I'm a mac guy because it works for me and what I do (creative, design-related stuff). Also, I like that I can run OS X/Windows/Ubuntu on one portable machines. In terms of my smartphone, I really like my Android.

What do you use? What's your preference?

Blueranne
01-30-12, 07:17 PM
Hi, I'm a Mac. *waves*

Saboit
01-30-12, 07:25 PM
android

windows,

Electra2
01-30-12, 07:30 PM
I use Fedora (Linux) OS on my laptop,
and have a HTC Android (Legend) mobile.

Sometimes I use another computer with another OS but that`s rare.

BR549
01-31-12, 12:52 AM
Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac!!!

When I first used an Apple computer (the days of "open apple/closed apple") I loathed loathed them! My BIL was a graphic designer and had been using an Apple from the get-go. I, on the other hand, preferred the clunky IBM compatible. Anyone remember the days before Windows? When every document you created had it's own file and directory on the hard drive and you had to type C:/"filename"/directory, etc....? When you had to format a floppy disk in order to save your files to it?

The longer I used Windows, the more I started eyeing the simplicity of Macs. I finally bought a MacBook in 2008. I even talked my mom into getting a MacBook, which she LOVES. When my HP desktop died in July, I knew I was going to get another Mac. Macs are easy to use, set up, maintain. Windows has too many patches and updates. I do have Microsoft Word on both computers. I get more update notices for Microsoft Office than I do for my Macs. I'd be hard pressed to go back to Windows based computer.....

cameron90
02-01-12, 09:33 AM
Mac, Mac, Mac, Mac!!!

When I first used an Apple computer (the days of "open apple/closed apple") I loathed loathed them! My BIL was a graphic designer and had been using an Apple from the get-go. I, on the other hand, preferred the clunky IBM compatible. Anyone remember the days before Windows? When every document you created had it's own file and directory on the hard drive and you had to type C:/"filename"/directory, etc....? When you had to format a floppy disk in order to save your files to it?

Yes, I remember! I also recall very clearly reading about the coming 500MHz "super-processors" in a magazine. MS DOS was just tedious, and I find it amazing that it still under development until 2000. I only know the basic commands for troubleshooting and stuff, and never really used DOS as a standalone OS really. The only times I did were when I was when using my childhood best friend's father's computer. At the time, I had a mac so I preferred the GUI to DOS for obvious reasons. I think it was the Performa 5200. That was my first computer and then I went through several desktop PCs and one laptop before buying my MacBook Pro before starting my architecture studies. I now have a newer MBP, and I don't think I would have anything else, at least when it comes to a laptop. I'm proficient with Windows (never used Vista, though) but I work much better in OS X. I still have a PC back at home that I use as a server and games, once in a while.

It seems like those people in more creative, design-oriented professions tend to use macs. Only a few people in my bachelors program used PC laptops and all of our studio computers were macs, as well. Plus, they're pretty and I appreciate the design. There are plenty of things to criticize about macs, but the same goes for anything else.

I find it amazing how quickly technology progresses. Apparently, my generation (I'm turning 26 this year) is said to be the last generation to use floppy disks.

Piper30
02-01-12, 09:49 AM
I'm 99% on my Android TB here at the forums...

Windows ...think i logged once via comp. My phone does nearly all a comp does.

cameron90
02-01-12, 09:59 AM
I'm 99% on my Android TB here at the forums...

Windows ...think i logged once via comp. My phone does nearly all a comp does.

Awesome, I'm assuming TB = tablet? Which one do you have? I guess living without desktop computers or even laptops can be done now. Myself, I couldn't do without my laptop (for school especially). I would like an iPad or Android tablet, but I don't think I spend the money on one at the moment.

Saboit
02-01-12, 10:01 AM
I prefer a laptop to a smartphone or tablet.

cameron90
02-01-12, 11:29 AM
I prefer a laptop to a smartphone or tablet.

Same. There are situations where I think I would find a tablet very useful, though (e.g., on the plane)

Rampage1967
02-15-12, 03:00 AM
HP ZE4900 (old) running Simply Mepis Linux