View Full Version : Anyone still running Mac with Leopard?

Knotting Blob
01-31-12, 01:20 PM
I know this is pathetic but I bought the disc for Snow leopard when it was released but I haven't got around to install it yet.... let alone Lion.....

I've been wanting to 'Clean Install" the new Snow Leopard and it's been, I don't know, two years (?) and I am yet to do it.

I've been on Ritalin for some 6 months and now Adderall but still not giving me enough duration of focus to follow through a few steps to install Snow Leopard... and feel... like........

Anyone as bad as me? :(

BR549
01-31-12, 01:27 PM
Yup. My MacBook has Leopard. I was going to upgrade to SnowLeopard, but then I just didn't. Now I've got a new iMac with Lion. While I can put Lion on my MacBook, I'd still have to buy SnowLeopard. Not sure I want to mess with it. Seems like a hassle (which, with a Mac, I know it's really not) and I just don't think about it.

cameron90
01-31-12, 05:10 PM
While I can put Lion on my MacBook, I'd still have to buy SnowLeopard.

Oh, I didn't know that. It does seem like a bit of a hassle. I'm pretty sure that you could technically use any Snow Leopard install disc for this purpose. Can you even buy Snow Leopard anymore? (I checked, yes you can for 29 bucks apparently)

Just upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6 is really simple, but if you want a clean install, I can see why it may be a hassle. I always have an external drive handy and use something like Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner.

I have Lion on my newer MacBook Pro (6,2) and Snow Leopard on my older MBP (which has been relegated to being a music player and server). I'm kind of a geek though, and always upgrade too soon. Lion wasn't compatible with some of the applications that I use for school so that really sucked... I don't think Lion is as big of a jump from Snow Leopard, compared to going to Snow Leopard from Leopard. There are some nice features though and you can't go wrong for 30 bucks or whatever it is.

I was meaning to upgrade my android phone to the newest os but I've been putting that off for a while now... I'm not so bad with tech stuff but when it comes to housework, that's a completely different story.

dougpoop
01-05-13, 03:51 PM
I would say I have 3 laptops but then I'd seem... spoiled, not working for things... so I'ma explain :D...

Age 12: Using an iPod touch that I had waited for years to get... it was my first iPod, not just a $25 mp3 player that needed baby treatment to not break...
Anyways, after the family computer crashed with Windows XP, we got Windows Vista. It worked even less because our computer (which was really old) just barely met the hardware requirements... wait shouldn't it have worked? *sigh* It was sluggish, ether way..... But back to the point: I had actually been using an iPod Touch as a computer ... O_O
So I figured even an old computer would do... >> Got an iBook G4 on Craigslist with Leopard (and since later operating systems don't support PowerPC processor, I was stuck with leopard lol) but at least I could actually use a computer.

*sorry for that long explanation, but here's another (longer) one*
Well, anyways, the disc drive wasn't really functional so I eventually also got a used MacBook (1,1 - ORIGINAL!!) which has a 32-bit processor... I was like "Yay, Intel. I can upgrade to the next OS when it comes out :D" ... then I find that Lion and all later OS-es need a 64-bit processor... -.- *cries*
It's probably my fault a bit for the computer's aging - although it was almost 5 years old when I got it but whatevs. It actually shows how long Macs can last... I believe in that hardware... well, I'm not sure about the newer ones that can't be opened and tinkered with *hehehh*...Anyways, it kept losing fuctioning power so I just got a Dell laptop with Windows 8 - I like every OS, &macs are cool, but I'll get a new Apple computer later on in life... when I have a job, am an adult, not just in highschool. And I'm not even "spoiled" about it because I saved up over time with the purchases of the two (used) Apple-s [I got $20 a month as allowance at the time .. :) ] ... AND I let other people use them as backups since they still kinda function...

dougpoop
01-05-13, 04:00 PM
OH... other post that might be useful or relevant... I don't really know :)

If you're like me and you only have a 32-bit processor that can't upgrade to Lion, you kinda can. There was a Lion beta... anyways I used RoaringCore (http://roaringcore.wordpress.com) and you unpack the disk image to a separate drive/partition...
I have enough space for another partition on my drive because I upgraded the HDD from 60 GB (the original, pretty small) size to 500 GB (by myself :D) ... The good old fashioned disk drives were really cheap - It was about $70-80 for the 500 GB I think ... O: i know right? But it's because everyone is turning to solid state/SSD which is apparently better performing, but more expensive...

and this isn't really useful, but just how much I love the hardware... although I kinda broke the original charger that came with my iBook when tripping over the cord... well this isn't really an "although" point... more a "lesson learned" thing... I love the MagSafe charger(s)... I've tripped over the MacBook's cord at home so many times and my a** has been saved too many times :D

TygerSan
01-05-13, 05:01 PM
Me: checks computer (is running Lion). . .

I'm so Mac illiterate. . . I can't even figure out why the computer stopped seeing the printer, and somehow I can find my way around a PC ok. :doh:

I have a copy of Windows 7 that I was supposed to install on my MacBook for DualBoot. . . it's been 2 years.

Laserbeak
10-18-14, 06:27 PM
LOL no, I'm the opposite.

As an Apple Registered Developer, I have access to all the beta versions, so I usually am on the bleeding edge!

Laserbeak
10-18-14, 06:29 PM
Yosemite is free now I think, you don't need Snow Leopard or whatever.

edit:

Oops, I guess I was wrong you're supposed to have at least Snow Leopard first.

Maurice
10-18-14, 06:37 PM
Snow Leopard. I hate Apple period. Supposed to be intuitive, sure. haha

I use my Samsung S4 a lot more, probably about 99% of the time. Android OS is a million times more intuitive to me. I have taught myself how to root and unlock cells, so I can put whatever ROM I want in them, plus use the rooted-only apps that I have purchased.

Laserbeak
10-20-14, 05:28 AM
Yup. My MacBook has Leopard. I was going to upgrade to SnowLeopard, but then I just didn't. Now I've got a new iMac with Lion. While I can put Lion on my MacBook, I'd still have to buy SnowLeopard. Not sure I want to mess with it. Seems like a hassle (which, with a Mac, I know it's really not) and I just don't think about it.

This sounds complicated, but it's really not. You do need a dual-layer writable DVD though, not a regular writable DVD (a USB thumb drive may also work depending on your model).

Download Yosemite OS X 10.10

Right-click on the installer, go to Show Contents... and navigate to Contents->SharedSupport

Using Disk Utility restore the disk image InstallESD.dmg from SharedSupport to a blank dual-layer DVD.

Boot that DVD.

You should now be able to install Yosemite on any computer, no matter what OS it has on it.

Make sure your stuff is backed up first because you may need to reformat your hard drive first if it gives you an error. Just start Disk Utility while booted from the DVD.