View Full Version : ADHD and running.

getithere
01-31-12, 03:13 PM
<H1 class=subject>I can do two hours of cardio without break. Is that typical of a person with ADHD?

</H1>

cameron90
01-31-12, 04:22 PM
That's typical of a pretty fit person.

getithere
01-31-12, 04:31 PM
That's typical of a pretty fit person.

Hi Cameron mate.

Yeah I know but noone lasts on the excercise machine as long as I do..its weird..

Fuzzy12
01-31-12, 04:39 PM
When I can get the motivation to actually work out, I love cardio. It always gives me a kick. I do nowhere near 2 hours though.

Do you stop or continue when you start to feel very tired or in pain?

fracturedstory
01-31-12, 06:42 PM
Think of it as a good thing. Many of us can't even do 30 minutes.

I enjoy light exercise and then sometimes intensive strength training. The latter is harder to go back to though.

cameron90
01-31-12, 06:48 PM
Hi Cameron mate.

Yeah I know but noone lasts on the excercise machine as long as I do..its weird..

It's not that weird, it's a good thing. Working out (cardio) is something that I should work on. My P.E. teacher would always remind us that 1 hour of cardio adds a day to your life (I don't remember the exact hour to day ratio of cardio to living) and it's probably, to some extent, true. Nevertheless, it's good for you.

MissesS
02-01-12, 08:18 AM
I don't last 5 mins and it's not because I'm unfit. I get so bored. Even with an iPod I can't help but think I should be doing something else more stimulating.

You are doing really well :)

getithere
02-01-12, 12:27 PM
I don't last 5 mins and it's not because I'm unfit. I get so bored. Even with an iPod I can't help but think I should be doing something else more stimulating.

You are doing really well :)

Some people say it is unhealthy to do it for that long though

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 12:33 PM
Two hours of cardio without a break is typical of a fit person.

Not getting started on it in the first place is typical of ADHD....

Some people say it is unhealthy to do it for that long though

It's only unhealthy if you feel its doing your body serious harm. If it isn't causing you any serious long term physical problems, then you're an extremely fit person and should keep doing what you're doing.

getithere
02-01-12, 12:34 PM
When I can get the motivation to actually work out, I love cardio. It always gives me a kick. I do nowhere near 2 hours though.

Do you stop or continue when you start to feel very tired or in pain?

Think of it as a good thing. Many of us can't even do 30 minutes.

I enjoy light exercise and then sometimes intensive strength training. The latter is harder to go back to though.

It's not that weird, it's a good thing. Working out (cardio) is something that I should work on. My P.E. teacher would always remind us that 1 hour of cardio adds a day to your life (I don't remember the exact hour to day ratio of cardio to living) and it's probably, to some extent, true. Nevertheless, it's good for you.

Some people say its really unhealthy after two hours..

La Sleepy
02-01-12, 02:08 PM
I've been using daily running for about an hour or more a day to help control my various issues (ADD being only one of several.....I should add them all to my signature,but it would make me feel bad to have to see them every time I post, so I don't.) I suspect that possibly you're asking about whether it's "normal" to feel a need to do that much cardio a day? Because it's probably not "normal" (not that I'm any yardstick for what's crazy or not crazy) to feel the need to do that much cardio a day, but from my own experience, I started running when I was 18 and quickly became addicted to it. And even though I then had to go all the way to the end of spectrum in anorexia, depression, and so on and so on, the running itself was never harmful in itself.

The cardio I do now is either an hour and a half of elliptical or a really long run outside. If I can't get to do it (I have a two year old son at home with me on a lot of days, if he takes a really long nap, I can do the elliptical) for just one day I feel restless, agitated, upset, and I can't think very clearly. It's been this way with me since 1980, when I first started running.

So I don't know if you're asking about the actual running itself being harmful, or the compulsion that goes with it. Because running gives our brains all kinds of good reward "fixes" every time we do it, it is extremely addictive for some of us. And the more pain we're in while we run (even running on an injured ankle, as I've done so often) the more of a "high" the brain gives you in return to help you keep going.

The only thing I would warn you about, as a lifelong compulsive runner (and nobody who does as much cardio as you describe is not at least a little compulsive about it, I would suspect, in some way, and this isn't a bad thing either!!!) is that you need to make sure that you aren't stressing some parts of your body repeatedly in ways that will cause injury years from now.

Your joints and your spine need protection, and I found out the hard way. Decades of that much running on asphalt has worn away the protective layer and fluid of my cervical vertebrae, and after several MRIs, I was told that the C7 and surrounding discs were "paper thin" and that it's "degenerative arthritis" which I take to mean that I've just worn it down, and it's not going to grow back. I still run, but there's a lot of pain in my neck which will get worse as I get old. Permanent tendonitus of both ankles, but that's not a problem now, if not freshly injured.

So try not to run when something hurts, don't run on asphalt more than you have to, even with the best cushioning shoes, and make sure you're eating well, and so on. You could do cardio for hours a day if you're careful, and it will only make you healthier. Speaking for myself, my addiction/compulsion to run has been a life saver many times. And I don't know if add and running have any connection aside from the fact that I follow one blogger who has add and ran long distance in high school, and still runs a lot, she says it helps her.

getithere
02-13-12, 04:25 PM
I have ADHD and can run for 2 hours. People are telling me however that there is little benefit of doing 2 hours. Are they right?

Blueranne
02-13-12, 04:29 PM
:goodpost::lol::giggle:

getithere
02-13-12, 04:30 PM
:goodpost::lol::giggle:

Urmm thanks lol. Want to awnser it though?

Blueranne
02-13-12, 04:35 PM
It depends on what your goals are dude....

getithere
02-13-12, 04:36 PM

To lose weight

getithere
02-13-12, 04:37 PM

To lose weight and gain some muscle

spunkysmum
02-13-12, 04:37 PM
I have ADHD and can run for 2 hours. People are telling me however that there is little benefit of doing 2 hours. Are they right?

What "people" are telling you that? People who don't run for 2 hours and who are afraid you are making them look bad by comparison? I'd be suspicious of their motives. They sound like the same kind of people who pull vague "studies" out of their butts that say drinking water is bad for you and vitamin C doesn't work because they feel like your diligence in maintaining healthy habits is somehow showing them up.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If one hour is good, how can two not be better? Contestants on the Biggest Loser work out for what, 4 hours a day? And if exercise were going to kill anybody, you'd think it'd be morbidly obese people.

spunkysmum
02-13-12, 04:41 PM
To lose weight and gain some muscle

I got into pretty good shape in my first months of taking Adderall, and yes, I did work out for more than an hour a day because I wanted to and it felt good. If you were asking about weights and resistance exercise, yeah, I'm sure you're aware that there are guidelines to follow in terms of days resting between working different muscle groups and not overdoing it. But with cardio, if you CAN keep going and you want to, why wouldn't you?

Blueranne
02-13-12, 04:44 PM
One of the best ways to drop weight is to add muscle, thereby increasing your metabolism. Too much cardio can inhibit muscle growth and even take away muscle mass, but it also depends a lot on your diet. This is not the best of places to find specific answers to your question. Try googling it.

GeordieDave
02-13-12, 05:46 PM
One of the best ways to drop weight is to add muscle, thereby increasing your metabolism. Too much cardio can inhibit muscle growth and even take away muscle mass, but it also depends a lot on your diet. This is not the best of places to find specific answers to your question. Try googling it.

Exactly. Spot on.

getitthere, you can't really lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

It's either you lose fat and lose weight or lose fat and gain muscle. Depending on your diet and work out plan is.

To lose weight you must have a decent diet which will help you lose weight.

Running really doesn't put any weight on. Yes of course it does a little bit, but much much less than weight lifting.

I'm not an expert so sorry if my reply is wrong

fracturedstory
02-13-12, 06:17 PM
Maybe they mean you overdo it. I once walked for one hour each day and the weight just dissipated. Once I exercised for 2 hours, was pretty exhausted after but it helped lose more weight. You do run a risk of injury or other health problems though if you're not used to that level of exercise, but to me it sounds like you are.

Although if you are trying to lose weight you could do 9 hours of exercise a day and not see any quicker results than exercising one hour. Also, your weight can just plateau and you have to shock your metabolism to get it going again (losing weight that is). This is usually done but introducing high calories - once! Just one meal will do it.
To be healthy you should only lose 2.2 pounds a week. I think that's right.

Ah good, Blueranne, I can actually lift weights for hours without getting exhausted. I get bored though after an hour. I build muscle really fast too. My body type is mesomorphic.

mrclean2011
02-13-12, 10:13 PM
One of the best ways to drop weight is to add muscle, thereby increasing your metabolism. Too much cardio can inhibit muscle growth and even take away muscle mass, but it also depends a lot on your diet.

What Blue said..

mrclean2011
02-13-12, 10:15 PM
Exactly. Spot on.

getitthere, you can't really lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

It's either you lose fat and lose weight or lose fat and gain muscle. Depending on your diet and work out plan is.

To lose weight you must have a decent diet which will help you lose weight.

Running really doesn't put any weight on. Yes of course it does a little bit, but much much less than weight lifting.

I'm not an expert so sorry if my reply is wrong

There are plenty of exercises that both will gain muscle mass and burn fat at the same time.

mrclean2011
02-13-12, 11:04 PM
The world of working out and what is "good" and what is "bad" has changed so much in the last few years. It is really exciting.

First off though ever person is different and what you do physically will all depend on what your goals are.
There are some ways of achieving your goals better then other ways.

Before I go any further I want to say this.... ANY type of physical activity is beneficial for the ADHD person on so many levels...
So at the end of this as long as you do SOMETHING that is a good thing.

First off I would say 60% of seeing positive results with exercise is diet. The other 40% is the actual hard stuff. That may be arguable but my point is diet is VERY important.
Many many different ideas and thoughts in regards to diet out there right now.

One popular theme out there which is pretty easy to follow is the "eat clean" mentality.
Avoid eating unprocessed/refined foods, eat fresh eat real. Being aware of that and those rules will help you so much without being on a formal "diet".

This is very similar to the Paleo and Primal diets. (google those)
I have seen clients have major success on both of those diets.
I myself attempt to eat 90% Paleo and have seen not only a decrease in my symptoms but an exceptional gain in my strength and energy.

Regardless of what you do, be aware of what you are eating. Your body needs proteins, carbs and fats. All come from different sources. The more natural the source the more positive potential it has for you.

Oh ya and "fruit juice" isnt healthy, you might as well go have a can of coke.
Grains and breads in excess are not healthy choices either.
It has to do with the way the body digests and processes these foods.
I really don't want to have to get into the science of it but there is a ton of it out there. ALSO if anybody wants to argue with those two above stated fact please before you do go read up on the pancreatic system and insulin before you spout something off and I make you look stupid. ;)

To end the diet rant off let me say this, as ADHD people we need to be more aware of what we are eating and how it is affecting our minds.
Part of our treatment is not only the meds but DIET and exercise.

NOW lets get refocused and back to the topic....

In regards to what is the best way to "work out" there is alot of debate out there but really the results are incomparable and undeniable.

When you think of someone at the gym you think of people doing 3 sets of 10 increasing weight incrementally working different areas of the body in static movements, changing areas every day. Mixing in some cardio pre or post workout.

This is fine, like I said ANY physical activity will cause strength and muscle gains and is GOOD.

There are ways to this this more efficiently and to help us as ADHD people stay with it.

Awhile ago I posted in the exercise forum in regards to CrossFit. Nobody replied but had a few reads.
Well I was a CrossFit coach at a large gym for 2 and a half years. CrossFit probably saved my life.

I was a 260+ mess, highly symptomatic just horrible. I had tried everything, wasted so much money on the big globo gyms with all their equipment etc....
I'd go for a couple weeks and that would be it, I'd get bored distracted, lazy like most typical ADHD people the focus would disappear.

So I try CrossFit (CF) and wow it sucks, I'm sore I'm tired and I only worked out for 15min.

I'm hooked, the energy, camaraderie, support even for a fat guy like me, it was awesome. Not to mention the workouts were preplanned you go there its explained to you and you do it.

What is CrossFit, well CF at its core is a combination of Olympic style weightlifting, sprinting and gymnastics.
These backgrounds open the doors to infinite combos of movements etc...
CF = "CONSTANTLY VARIED, FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENTS EXECUTED AT HIGH INTENSITY"

The amazing part CF is that everything is scalable. Movements, weights, intensity can all be modified for the individual to the point where I have seen a SWAT Officer working out beside a 70YO women doing the same workout with modifications.

Before I get carried on here...
Constantly varied movements-Proven that muscle confusion is the most efficient way to create and stimulate muscle growth.

Functional movement-Everything that is done can be directly attributed to some type of real world activity that you may face. From the extreme, firefight in Iraq to the mundane pushing the car out of the ditch. Everything in CF has a functional application.

Executed at high intensity- This is the gem, this is where the magic happens. This is where 15 min of high intensity work is more effective in stimulating muscle growth and weight lose then 2 hours of running....

When we work out with intensity for a duration of time we start to access the anaerobic part of our metabolism. The results from accessing that and doing full body applicable movements like those found in CF is wicked results.

Sooo i've spamed this enough so I'll end this here.

I went from 260+lbs to 200lbs in just over a year. I replaced fat with muscle. I was a lean mean kick *** machine.

Not only did CF save my life, but for the 3 and a half years I was doing it continuous I was ALMOST symptom free.

Due to my undiagnosed ADHD I made a stupid decision that was impulsive and I left the CF family. Like I said I was ALMOST symptom free not completely.

My life started to plummet for 2 years my symptoms got progressively worse to the point where I finally sought out help and am finally back on the right path.

I am eating and exercising regularly with CF and with the meds I feel amazing, better then I ever have.

If you are an ADHD person who does exercise for general strength and conditioning, I STRONGLY recommend that you at least take a look at CrossFit.
There are gyms everywhere and usually the first workout there is free so go try it out. I promise you that you will like it.

I'm sorry for the rant....

Have a good night everybody

Brob2
02-14-12, 12:59 AM
I think I can comment on this intelligently as I am a longtime and well read triathlete who went to both Harvard* and Oxford**, and understanding the answer to this question has been of great interest to me.

The answer(s) as noted in previous posts above are yes or no.
For a persons longevity there clearly is a point of diminishing returns where additional training stops providing health gains and then starts reversing your health gains. Simply put, too much cardio will wear out hearts prematurely, too little will leave you with a weak heart and possibly/probably other problems such as hypertension or arteriosclerosis. The balance point is different for different folks, but is probably around 60 minutes daily, and there may also be a weekly cardio exercise maximum for each person.

These conclusions are from studies which show marathoners and Ironman triathletes both have statistically significant shorter natural lifespans than 10k and Olympic Distance triathletes, and Oly triathletes shorter than sprint triathletes.

* May 24th weekend in 1988. Had a blast hitting the pubs and Harvest restaurant.

** August 28 1984. Poured a freakin' monsoon.

_

sarek
02-14-12, 03:18 AM
I think that just like it is with our dietary patterns, modelling our exercise regimen on the lifestyle of humans as they originally evolved would likely yield the best results. That is what we are optimised for.
Doing substantially less or more in either total time spent exercising or intensity of exercise will probably be detrimental.

GeordieDave
02-14-12, 06:03 AM
Going to the beach with some mates today, 5 of us gonna run the whole lengh of the coast.. not sure how far or long its gonna be lol, but just gonna run until i can't run anymore. Then were all going to a mates house have a healthy meal :D