View Full Version : roughly, what's the equivalent of 30mg of vyvanse for adderall?


kirklandcrv
02-01-12, 03:32 PM
topic

BR549
02-01-12, 03:38 PM
For Adderall XR?

20mg Vyvanse = 5 mg Adderall XR
30mg Vyvanse = 10 mg Adderall XR = two 5mg doses of Adderall IR
40mg Vyvanse = 15 mg Adderall XR
50mg Vyvanse = 20 mg Adderall XR
60mg Vyvanse = 25 mg Adderall XR
70mg Vyvanse = 30 mg Adderall XR

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 03:43 PM
I don't think its really possible to make comparisons between 1 stimulant to the next.

It would be like me saying that 100mgs of Caffeine = 5mgs of Ritalin. It doesn't really work that way.

BR549
02-01-12, 03:55 PM
I don't think its really possible to make comparisons between 1 stimulant to the next.

It would be like me saying that 100mgs of Caffeine = 5mgs of Ritalin. It doesn't really work that way.
_
Well you're right in that you can't convert different classes of stimulants. Say amphetamines with methylphenidate because it's almost impossible to get an accurate conversion because they are two different medications and work a little differently. A rough estimation or calculation can be done in many cases though. It will still, more than likely require a little titrating up or down to find the optimal dose when switching between amphetamines and methylphenidate.

However, Adderall is comprised of 75% dextroamphetamine, which is what Vyvanse is metabolized into once it it enters the digestive tract (basically). While this conversion isn't 100% accurate, it's extremely close and what many docs use when converting patients from Adderall XR, Dexedrine Spansules (100% dextroamphetamine) , dextroamphetamine sulfate IR (100% dextroamhetamine) and Adderall IR to Vyanse. :)

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 03:59 PM
Hey, thanks for the info. I guess that kind of makes sense to an extent.

Although....

20mg Vyvanse = 5 mg Adderall XR
70mg Vyvanse = 30 mg Adderall XR

How is this even possible??!! :eek: :D

BR549
02-01-12, 04:08 PM
Well, 30 mg of Vyvanse has approximately 7.5 mg d-amp (possibly a little less). It's the same amount that's in 10mg Dexedrine Spansule. So, it makes sense that 20 mg Vyvanse is equal to 5mg Adderall XR (or two 2.5 mg doses of IR a day) in terms of how much d-amp is in each. Only 75% of that dose of Adderall is d-amp. The remaining 25% is levoamphetamine.

30 mg Vyvanse = 10 mg Adderall XR (or two 5mg IR doses) = 7.5 mg d-amphetamine.

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 04:15 PM
I still don't get it. :p

70mgs of Vyvanse is 3.5x as much as 20mgs of Vyvanse.

So how can 70mgs of Vyvanese = 6x as much Adderall XR as 20mgs of Vyvanese?

Or am I completely missing something? :(

BR549
02-01-12, 04:28 PM
I still don't get it. :p

70mgs of Vyvanse is 3.5x as much as 20mgs of Vyvanse.

So how can 70mgs of Vyvanese = 6x as much Adderall XR as 20mgs of Vyvanese?

Or am I completely missing something? :(

I'm confused:confused:

Okay, let me see if I can work this out (your question :) )

70 mg of Vyvanse has the same amount of d-amphetamine in it as 30 mg of Adderall XR.

Vyvanse comes in 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mg doses. Adderall XR comes in 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 mg doses. Vyvanse doesn't contain Adderall. Vyvanse and Adderall contain dextroamphetamine or d-amp.

Adderall is a racemic mixture of dextroamphetamine and levoamphetamine. Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine, dextramphetamine with lysine attached to it.

70 mg of Vyvanse has 22.50 mg of dextroamphetamine in it. 30 mg Adderall XR has 22.50 mg of dextroamphetamine in it.

You can't compare Vyvanse mg to Adderall mg in terms of saying Vyvanse =6x Adderall as 20mg Vyvanse. The mg on each (Adderall and Vyvanse) don't have much to do with converting from one medication to the other. While it seems strange the 70mg Vyvanse would be a lot more than 30mg Adderall yet equal, you have to look at what compromises the majority of the same medication in each to determine a proper dose conversion. Which, in this case, is dextroamphetamine. Then you figure out how much d-amp is in each dose of Vyvanse and Adderall to come to a conversion. Adderall also has levoamphetamine in it. That isn't taken into consideration when figuring out equivalencies between medications contain only dextroamphetamine and Adderall.

Did I make sense??? I may have confused myself there....:scratch::p

sorry Krackerotto for hijacking your thread---I hope that the conversion chart helped you out!

Fraser_0762
02-01-12, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I get what you're trying to say. :)

But the fact that it isn't to scale would suggest that the % of dextroamphetamine used in both Vyvanse & Adderall XR is inconsistant.

If their is 22.5mgs of d-amp in 70mgs of Vyvanse and 30mgs of Adderall XR

Then there would be the same amount of d-amp between 20mgs of Vyvanse and 8.57mgs (not 5mgs) of Adderall XR. :confused:

Ok... i'm lost. :(

BR549
02-01-12, 08:02 PM
Don't worry about the mg for Vyvanse or Adderall. It matters not that Vyvanse is 70 mg and the equivalent Adderall XR dose is 30. They both have the same amount of d-amp in them:) of the 70 mg of Vyvanse, 22.50 mg or 30% of the total mg (roughly) is dextroamphetamine. The remaining portion (70%) is lysine.

kirklandcrv
02-03-12, 01:42 PM
okay so 60mg of vyvanse is about two doses of 15mg adderall?

and two 30mg vyvanses is the same as taking 1 60mg vyanse right?

JAKEfromMAINE
05-07-12, 09:21 PM
okay so 60mg of vyvanse is about two doses of 15mg adderall?

and two 30mg vyvanses is the same as taking 1 60mg vyanse right?

LULZ

60mg is more like 20mg adderalz

and right, 2x30 will be like 1-60 :p