View Full Version : Strange feeling upon closing eyes

MrPenguin
02-02-12, 12:34 PM
About once a week (for about 6 months), right when I close my eyes before I go to bed or take a nap, I have this strange feeling in my body..the only way I can describe it is that it feels like my soul* is being pulled away from my body. After about 30 seconds of this sensation I feel like my soul is gone. With all this going on, my ears start to make that high pitch ringing sound, and all I can focus on are these intense rings, then I feel weightless..I feel like I am no longer in my bed, but I am traveling through space or something.. I know that this may sound crazy, but this is something that's very real and scary to me. After I wake up from this strange, trance like state, I feel SO paranoid, and I'll come to the conclusion that it was a ghost or something.. and in turn, it takes me a couple extra hours to fall asleep because I fear what will happen when I close my eyes. I'm a 19 year old male, I have very bad anxiety, ADHD, and on and off depression. Also, I don't know if this relates, but a lot of days I'll randomly wake up and my arms will be completely numb. I just need to know what this is so I will stop freaking out about it when it happens to me :( I'd appreciate any kind of feedback.

**I say 'soul' because it feels like my body's energy is being pulled out

Fraser_0762
02-02-12, 12:47 PM
Never experienced this before. I have woke up blind a few times though which is pretty scary. Either its because I don't open my eyes (and just think that i've opened them). Or my eyeballs are still stuck in my skill, which generally happens when you fall asleep! :eek:

Fuzzy12
02-02-12, 01:13 PM
Penguin and Fraser. Both sound really scary. :(

Penguin, I get something called sleep paralysis, where I wake up (or at times, I haven't yet fully fallen asleep yet) but my body is still (or already) paralysed. Sometimes, it's accompanied with visual or auditory hallucinations (in my case, I sometimes see shadows and very often hear people's voices). Maybe what happens to you is a variation of that?

I think, while we are falling asleep or waking up, our bodies go through all kinds of processes in order to prepare us for sleep. I guess, in some people some of the processes are badly timed or out of sync, resulting in some really strange experiences.

Fraser_0762
02-02-12, 01:21 PM
I get that too. I've woken up and seen the devil crushing my chest, it was so real and I couldn't breave. :(

Fuzzy12
02-02-12, 02:09 PM
I've woken up and seen the devil crushing my chest, it was so real and I couldn't breave.

That sounds super scary. I told a friend of mine who had the same problem, i.e. sleep paralysis. It used to freak him out too but once he understood that it was a physiological condition he said, it didn't bother him anymore. he would just go back to sleep when it happened.

Somehow, for me, I still find it very disturbing. It's mainly that feeling of vulnerability knowing that it's night and I can't move. I also get scared that I might have a real scary hallucination some day..like yours. I usually panic and try frantically to get out of it. I try to force open my eyes, jerk my head, move my hand and feet, etc. Do you do that too?

Apologies, Penguin, for the thread hijack :-)

DryBones
02-02-12, 05:56 PM
I get that too. I've woken up and seen the devil crushing my chest, it was so real and I couldn't breave. :(

Interesting. In most middle-eastern cultures and all muslim cultures, there are stories of Djinn, which are basically evil spirits. A common thing for a Djinn to do is attempt to strangle or smother somebody in their sleep. The victim usually says that they wake up and can't move, they see the Djinn on them (which are commonly depicted as shadow-type creatures) and feel a crushing force on their chest.

I think sleep paralysis is a perfect explanation for those stories.

Fraser_0762
02-02-12, 06:06 PM
Interesting. In most middle-eastern cultures and all muslim cultures, there are stories of Djinn, which are basically evil spirits. A common thing for a Djinn to do is attempt to strangle or smother somebody in their sleep. The victim usually says that they wake up and can't move, they see the Djinn on them (which are commonly depicted as shadow-type creatures) and feel a crushing force on their chest.

I think sleep paralysis is a perfect explanation for those stories.

Thanks for that....

I'll *gulp* sleep soundly tonight... :D

Fraser_0762
02-02-12, 06:07 PM
That sounds super scary. I told a friend of mine who had the same problem, i.e. sleep paralysis. It used to freak him out too but once he understood that it was a physiological condition he said, it didn't bother him anymore. he would just go back to sleep when it happened.

Somehow, for me, I still find it very disturbing. It's mainly that feeling of vulnerability knowing that it's night and I can't move. I also get scared that I might have a real scary hallucination some day..like yours. I usually panic and try frantically to get out of it. I try to force open my eyes, jerk my head, move my hand and feet, etc. Do you do that too?

Apologies, Penguin, for the thread hijack :-)

My body shakes pretty badly after the event is over. But while its going on, I can't move a muscle, I am frozen stiff. :)

Fuzzy12
02-03-12, 08:09 AM
Fraser, have you checked out the wikipedia page for sleep paralysis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

They actually specifically mention your experience and the stories of a Djinn.

I can't move a muscle, I am frozen stiff.

I can't move either. But I still try and sometimes after some time I manage to jerk myself out of it. I try to scream as well but only muffled sounds come out. My husband thankfully wakes me when he hears them.

It happened again today morning. I really hate it. It still freaks me out even though I know that it's nothing supernatural just my body misperforming as usual. :(

CrashBandicoot
02-12-13, 03:32 PM
what you are experiencing is known as hypnogogic hillucinations. they can come in the form of seeing little blobs of light moving infront of your eye lids or fiant sounds. you might also hear your own inner voice distorting, You may see images flash before your eyes, normaly you don't notice because you are in the mids of losing consciouness but when you you do, they could either cause a hypnogogic jerk reaction or they just fade.

The most common things you here are voices of people you know calling your name or repeating things you often here shouted at you or spoken to. when you hit deeper periods of sleep onset, you may start having full on audio hillucinations which can sound like the voices you would here being petrayed in a movie about schitzophrenia.

these voices are more clear and prevalent during sleep paralysis and often times they come in the form of full on conversations of your brain talking to itself although it may be very hard to discern what exactly it is the voices are saying. during normal periods of falling asleep, you may only catch one word or someone, friend, parent voice calling your name. In even deeper parts of sleep while still being semi conscious, you could also get dream imagery. your own mental images may look more clear to you and more detailed. sometimes those images may also suddenly become 3D before your eyes, you might not even notice at first.

these are normal and the feeling of being pulled out of your body, or rolling over, falling into your matress is a normal hypnogogic hillucination when phasing from wakefulness to sleep stage. People experience these more often after already sleeping a few hours. what happends is after 5 or 6 hours of sleep, when you go back to bed with in a 1:30 minutes, you will less likely lose consciousness as quickly as your would before sleep so you will normally be fully aware of the physical sensations of falling asleep.

[editional information]
This also helps induce lucid dreams where it feels like you are being pulled into a dream then after the sensations stop, you are in a dream fully aware that you are in a dream and then can go about doing whatever you want until you unfortunatly forget that you are in a dream which happends because you have failed to remind yourself that everything you are experiencing is a dream so in turn the logical center of your brain shuts back down so you are left believing the dream is real even though what you may be experiencing would make no sense at all to a person in there right mind.

the logic center being off when we sleep is part of the reason why we don't become lucid during our dreams. when we dream normally we don't know it and thus believing everything that is going on around us. no matter how illogical your dream setting is, you will believe what you are experiencing is real. When you lucid dream that means you know you are in a dream and this is only possible when the logical center of your brain wakes up while a dream is occuring.

people who practice lucid dreaming frequently train themselves to open that part of their brain up. there are two main ways to have a lucid dream. the first one is titles DILD (dream induced lucid dream) which is when you start off in a normal dream and then you become lucid either spontaniously or some illogical event sparks it. the second is called WILD (wake induced lucid dream) which is the process of going from wakefullness straight into a dream setting (which usually starts in your room).

Most people who practice WILD are familair with hypnogogic hiollucinations because they are the ones who experience them the most because to process inwhich it takes to obtain a successsful WILD means hypnogogic hillucination are going to be a frequent thing. they also signal the lucid dreamer how close he is to falling asleep.