View Full Version : Adderall and Serotonin

andocrates
10-16-04, 01:41 AM
Ok, I don't understand something. I have been reading web-pages all week but between the snake-oil salesmen and the hysterical med-haters I'm having trouble getting an answer. I've switched from Ritalin to adderall but my sex drive died. Totally unacceptable :-( So does adderall increase serotonin or decrease (inhibit) it. Either way how can I correct this issue.

Thank you

Gregster
10-16-04, 01:50 AM
Ritalin (methylphenidate) primarily increases the amount of dopamine in the brain. Adderall, which is a mixture of 4 amphetamine salts, increases the amount of dopamine and noradrenaline. methylphenidate and amphetamines are closely related, but they actually work in slightly different ways, that is why one drug may work better than the other in different people. Neither works directly on serotonin, but since all of the neurotransmitters are linked to each other directly and indirectly, I'm sure there is some effect on serotonin. Not that the low sex drive is due to serotonin.
I'm not sure what you can do to bring it back.
Stimulants are short acting and once the effect wears off, any problems caused by the drug should vanish as well.
You might try taking drug holidays to see how quickly your libido returns.
Or switch back to Ritalin, or try a lower dose of Adderall, or try a slightly different drug like Dexedrine (25% of Adderall is dextroamphetamine, but people often react slightly differently to Dexedrine than Adderall), or maybe, if you're taking an extended release version like Adderall XR, you might try the regualr release version - you may be able to time your doses so that it doesn't have as large an effect on your life?
At any rate, a talk with your doctor is in order.
Good luck,
Greg

paulbf
10-16-04, 02:12 AM
I was actually reading that the dopamine meds may decrease seratonin like they are on opposite ends of the scale and increasing one, depletes the other. I know when I quit Effexor (mostly a seratonin med) I had an amazing dopamine rebound.

But I've also heard a lot of opposite reactions, like someone takes an antidepressant & gets depressed or a stimulant and gets fuzzy thinking & sleepy. The workings of the brain are somewhat understood but not actually that well pinned down & it's pretty common for freaky things to happen.

Ritalin works a bit more on noradrenaline, adderall more on dopamine (as I understand). Dopamine is more often thought of as pro-sexual so that's an opposite reaction or maybe just what makes you tick is a little different than most people which is OK.

andocrates
10-16-04, 02:31 AM
I have been taking baking soda with my adderall, but Lynx thinks that's a bad idea. I was trying to get the most out of a smaller dose but I may be overdoing it, I'm going to stop that.

Today was a drug holiday and I felt like sh#t. I managed to "do" the deed but it was way more work then it was worth. :-/

Thanks for the knowledge.

exeter
10-16-04, 01:31 PM
Baking soda? Why?

paulbf
10-16-04, 02:07 PM
Baking soda or anything alkaline like antacid medicine improves absorbtion, just like orange juice or an acid stomach decreases effectiveness.

I wonder why it's not recommended other than it sounds like a big bother.

andocrates
10-16-04, 08:52 PM
You want to get all the medicine (you don't want to pee out half your dose) but baking soda makes you not pee at all and the drug sits in your Urinary tract too long, so it can become sorta toxic. I think you can get the same effect by taking it on an empty stomach, with 5 or 6 OZ of water.

It went much better today without the baking soda. Of course I tend to overdo everything, maybe I will try it again with just a "hint" of BS.

shabazosu
10-17-04, 02:37 PM
How does one take/ingest the baking soda? Like a spoonfull, or in a glass of water, etc..? I'm just curious, I'd never heard of that before.

lynx
10-22-04, 11:14 PM
You might try taking drug holidays to see how quickly your libido returns.
Or switch back to Ritalin, or try a lower dose of Adderall, or try a slightly different drug like Dexedrine (25% of Adderall is dextroamphetamine, but people often react slightly differently to Dexedrine than Adderall), Good luck,
Greg
Actually 75% of Adderall is Dextroamphetamine, 25% is LevoAmphetamine.

Gregster
10-23-04, 11:37 AM
I should have been more specific. 25% of Adderall is dextroamphetamine sulfate - A.K.A. Dexedrine. The pill consists of equal parts of: Dextroamphetamine Saccharate,Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate USP & Amphetamine Sulfate USP

Gregster
10-23-04, 11:41 AM
Oh, and I suspect the thing about baking soda is an "old wives tale". I don't think it will make any difference in how the drug is absorbed, or used in the body. It probably won't do you any harm either, considering that you put the stuff in bread.

lynx
10-23-04, 09:14 PM
Baking Soda is not an old wives tale in regards to increasing amphetamine activity.

First, in the intestine it leads to neutralization of the acid microclimate which increases the amount of undissociated weak base available for uptake.

Second, it alkalizes the urine, which increases renal reuptake of amphetamine, causing it to remain in the body longer.

Although amphetamines are dealkylated, deaminated and hydroxylated and excreted as the resulting metabolites, usually 30% is excreted unchanged in urine. However, this is highly dependent on urinary pH.

However, messing with your bodies pH with Baking Soda is very Dangerous. It can lead to respiratory arrest, kidney failure, seizure, hypoxic brain damage, all sorts of unpleasant things.

andocrates
10-23-04, 09:52 PM
People have been using Arm and Hammer Baking soda and water for many years for heart-burn and the like. In fact the directions still on the Arm and Hammer baking soda box. I don't think it's that bad for you.

What you wrote that initially made me stop and think was the toxicity factor of absorbing too much adderall. That makes sense.

But you can't change your body PH with baking soda. In fact there is a whole train of thought that a more alkaline PH system will increase life and lower your risk of cancer. There are hundreds of people on diets trying to change their body's natural PH balance, but your body always fixes itself.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=alkaline+PH%2C+health

Gregster
10-24-04, 01:14 PM
OK, so I'll admit that taking baking soda may increase the amount of amphetamine available (you learn something new every day!), but I don't think that I'll be trying this out anytime soon since I think I want my PH to stay where it is. If I need more stimulant, I'll just take a little more - it's not so expensive that I'd risk causing other problems from a PH imbalance!

andocrates
10-24-04, 02:02 PM
The only thing is dehydration or malnutrition, both common side effects of adderall, make your body acidic; which in turn would diminish adderall' effects. (It's amazing how the body adapts) Better to eat some vegetables if your body becomes to acidic.

A highly acidic urine pH occurs in:

Acidosis
Uncontrolled diabetes
Diarrhea
Starvation and dehydration
Respiratory diseases in which carbon dioxide retention occurs and acidosis develops
A highly alkaline urine occurs in:

Urinary tract obstruction
Pyloric obstruction
Salicylate intoxication
Renal tubular acidosis
Chronic renal failure
Respiratory diseases that involve hyperventilation (blowing off carbon dioxide and the development of alkalosis)
http://www.rnceus.com/ua/uaph.html

lynx
10-24-04, 07:12 PM
People have been using Arm and Hammer Baking soda and water for many years for heart-burn and the like. In fact the directions still on the Arm and Hammer baking soda box. I don't think it's that bad for you.

What you wrote that initially made me stop and think was the toxicity factor of absorbing too much adderall. That makes sense.

But you can't change your body PH with baking soda. In fact there is a whole train of thought that a more alkaline PH system will increase life and lower your risk of cancer. There are hundreds of people on diets trying to change their body's natural PH balance, but your body always fixes itself.

Well, you are pretty much right in that you probably can't change your plasma pH with baking soda.
Except for

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=8285975

which shows that the body doesn't always fix itself.

You can definitely change urinary pH and intestinal pH and stomach pH.

andocrates
10-24-04, 08:10 PM
I believe we have successfully beat this topic to death. :-)

Thanks for all the great info.

BobbyK
10-25-04, 01:08 PM
How does one take/ingest the baking soda? Like a spoonfull, or in a glass of water, etc..? I'm just curious, I'd never heard of that before.

so like shabazosu was asking how is it taken

andocrates
10-25-04, 02:39 PM
Warnings:

Do not use if you are on a sodium restricted diet unless directed by a doctor.

Ask a doctor or a pharmacist before use if you are taking a prescription drug. Antacids may interact with certain prescription drugs.

Do not administer to children under age 5.

STOMACH WARNING: TO AVOID SERIOUS INJURY, DO NOT TAKE UNTIL POWDER IS COMPLETELY DISSOLVED. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT WHEN OVERLY FULL FROM FOOD OR DRINK. Consult a doctor if severe stomach pain occurs after taking this product.

Stop use and ask a doctor if symptoms last more than 2 weeks.

SORRY - EDITED BY MODERATOR SINCE I'M WORRIED ABOUT THE DANGERS OF THIS PRACTICE, GIVEN THE WARNING ABOVE! PLEASE PM THE SENDER FOR THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

teddy
11-24-04, 03:43 PM
help~

I am really confused now...So is taking like Prevacid beause you have constant reflux disease ok while taking adderall XR? Or is it not helping your adderall Xr to help with The ADD? I know I am stupid..sorry:( thanks for any help...

paulbf
11-24-04, 03:54 PM
If you are taking antacid because you have an overly acid stomach that's OK but it will tend to increase the effect of the adderall so adjust your dose accordingly if going on or off the antacid medication.

andocrates
11-24-04, 04:21 PM
This was talking about using baking soda to increase the alkaline content of your urine, (since adderall is absorbed from the urinary track) however as it turns out Adderall already has magnesium in it to do just that. So it's useless for adderall

Prevacid does not have baking soda it acts in a different way. You got confused because a mod removed part of the message (the instructions off the box of Armour Hammer baking soda box) and left the warning.

lynx
11-25-04, 01:09 AM
This was talking about using baking soda to increase the alkaline content of your urine, (since adderall is absorbed from the urinary track) however as it turns out Adderall already has magnesium in it to do just that. So it's useless for adderall

Prevacid does not have baking soda it acts in a different way. You got confused because a mod removed part of the message (the instructions off the box of Armour Hammer baking soda box) and left the warning.Actually, Adderall is reabsorbed in the kidneys, it is absorbed in the intestines.

I will repost my thoughts on messing with pH to increase absorbtion with baking soda.

First, in the intestine baking soda leads to neutralization of the acid microclimate which increases the amount of undissociated weak base available for uptake. >>>>increases absorption

Second, it alkalizes the urine, which increases renal reuptake of amphetamine, causing it to remain in the body longer. >>>>increases resorption

Although amphetamines are dealkylated, deaminated and hydroxylated and excreted as the resulting metabolites, usually 30% is excreted unchanged in urine. However, this is highly dependent on urinary pH.

However, In MY Humble Opinion, messing with your bodies pH with Baking Soda is very Dangerous.