View Full Version : pediatrician and meds

02-06-12, 12:56 AM
I am 19 and having increasing struggles with my adhd. Could I go back to the pediatricians office that originally gave me ritalin when I was seven? Will they even give me stimulant medication? They treat anyone under 21 there and probably have the record of the ritalin.

I want to start treatment ASAP and the campus pdoc can't even see me for meds unless he has a completed diagnosis.

02-06-12, 03:11 PM
Start with your pediatrician since he has your diagnosis on record. If it has been a while he/she might want to see you before you get the prescription, but it usually doesn't take too long to get a doctor's appointment. If you are far from your pediatrician and still under your parent's insurance, pick a local doc - maybe family practice and make an appointment. Have your old pediatrician send your new doc your medical records. Your pediatrician can also release records to student health with your permission.

02-06-12, 10:26 PM
Yeah I am meeting with my therapist who is doing the evaluation this friday. So I will probably just have her send a diagnosis summary over to the campus doc.

Also your right that it doesnt take long to get an appointment with the pediatrician or GP but to get any kind of a pdoc it takes at least a few weeks usually much longer to see them.