View Full Version : Alcohol and Wellbutrin -- what's your experience?

Ack226
02-06-12, 11:31 AM
While we should all understand that drinking while on Wellbutrin could be risky due to decreased alcohol tolerance and increased risk of seizures, some people will obviously choose to try drinking a bit of alcohol now and then regardless.

I've read about different people having all kinds of different reactions when drinking on Wellbutrin. Some people claim no adverse effects, some say they get blackout drunk after only a couple of drinks. Some say alcohol negates teh effects of the medication for the next few days. Some say that after only one drink they are dizzy, confused, and depressed for several days afterwards!

I'd like to collect peoples' experiences with Wellbutrin and alcohol in this thread. Please post and let us know how it affects you. Please be sure to include:

Your Wellbutrin dosage
How long you've been taking it
Any other meds you're on
How many drinks you had to get the effects you listed.

For example: (note that this is a made up example, not an actual experience)

On Wellbutrin XL 300mg Watson generic for 7 months. No other meds. After 1 drink - no problems, 2 drinks - blackout drunk and then hungover for 7 days.

Massari
02-06-12, 12:01 PM
You should not drink on Welbutrin. Aren't we ADDers dizzy enough by nature? Why make it worst with alcohol...I find no fun in it.

Ack226
02-06-12, 04:03 PM
You should not drink on Welbutrin. Aren't we ADDers dizzy enough by nature? Why make it worst with alcohol...I find no fun in it.

I understand what you're saying. The safest course is to just not drink at all. I have heard of many different responses from many different people. Some can drink in moderation while on Wellbutrin without negative effects, some can't. I was hoping to get testimonials from multiple people about how it affects them.

Abi
02-06-12, 04:08 PM
7 months, GSK SR 150 twice to thrice daily.

Drink like a fish.

No ill effects. (except probably severe liver damage)

Abi
02-06-12, 04:09 PM
Oh and at least 5 other meds, 2 of which are specifically contra-indicated with alcohol

Abi
02-06-12, 04:09 PM
I do not in any way encourage such behaviour.

gatorADDe
02-06-12, 04:12 PM
I'm quoting directly from Wellbutrin's prescribing information:

"Circumstances associated with an increased seizure risk include, among others, excessive use of alcohol or sedatives (including benzodiazepines); Patients should be advised that the consumption of alcohol should be minimized or avoided."

If this a concern you should definitely bring it up with your doctor. It seems that the social drink or two won't cause a problem but binge drinking would be an obvious bad idea..

Ack226
02-06-12, 06:21 PM
I haven't tried drinking on it yet. My doc says it's fine in moderation as far as safety is concerned. I've read horror stories online of people taking Wellbutrin who have a couple of drinks and then are hungover and feel like crap for several days afterwards. I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced that.

Darken
02-07-12, 11:11 AM
Definitely experienced that..

Have taken Wellbutrin (Brand Initially and then Watson generic) for the better part of 4 years and I've had two experiences where drinking moderately caused BAD hangover symptoms for days. Suffice to say I do not even think about it anymore...

The biggest thing I had was an absolutely horrendous headache that would not go away...that was enough to keep me away from alcohol altogether. In fact I've never got any kind of serious benefit from alcohol that was worth me drinking at all.

QED420
02-13-12, 07:59 PM
Im on geneeric bupropion 200mg in the morning and 100 in the afternoon.
I used to drink daily but stopped a few months before starting bupropion, since then ive tried to drink a couple times, but i cant drink enough to get a buzz (due to my high blood pressure which is why I cut back initially) but it did make me depressed for like 3 or 4 days afterward and I hated it. Needless to say I've only attempted drinking about 3 times (sincei can now positively relate the depression to the drinking).

known_guy
02-13-12, 09:45 PM
Taking medications has not steered me away from alcohol. I still drink as often as I used to, which isn't very often. If anything, my pre-medicated self had a way lower tolerance for alcohol than my medicated/present self. Aside from Wellbutrin and stimulant medications, though this is ill-advised, I can handle Klonopin/Xanax and alcohol together without negative consequences. I just make sure to keep everything in moderation.

Oh. I have never experienced a hangover. So I guess I never drink heavily.

Rebelyell
02-13-12, 09:58 PM
I have n believe me they super suck where it use to be a 2-3 hour headache now is like an all day affair feels like I got the flu the next day.oyyy no mate riding the porcelain bus or buddha is no fun my brothers and sisters.

doylenic72
10-06-12, 06:50 AM
Well, I jumped online this morning to find out about alcohol/wellbutrin/headaches and was a bit disappointed by what I found. I never really made the connection before, however, I always knew that if I had a few drinks at night, the next day I was in agony with a headache from hell. Went off wellbutrin in favor of Vyvanse at the suggestion of the doc, and was pleasantly suprised by the no headache after a glass or two of wine. However, due to mood disorder, had to include wellbutrin back into my routine to keep me sane, the Vyvanse does nothing for irritability and aggressive moods, in fact it increases the agitation to everything. Last night had a small small glass of wine, perhaps 5oz and woek this morning with that familiar feeling of an ice pick in the middle of my brain, advil and water, and no more wine for me. The wellbutrin headaches are not worth it, they are like migraines that won't go away. So thats my experience with alcohol and wellbutin.

RubberDuck
10-18-12, 12:40 PM
I'm a pretty big drinker when I go out. I take 300mg daily and haven't had any serious side effects. My doctor told me that, if I knew I was going to be drinking one day, it wouldn't hurt me to skip that day's medication. The last few times I've drank I have found that I've woken up with some anxiety or depression-like symptoms, but then I also haven't been skipping lately, so that could be why.

Lizylou84
10-22-12, 02:59 PM
I take 300 mg of bupropion daily. I haven't noticed much of a difference in regards to alcohol consumption. I have been more careful with how much I drink since I started taking it, but on quite a few occasions I have had 4-5 drinks with no ill effects. Don't feel drunker or more hung over than before.

SadieLane
07-10-13, 12:05 PM
I get massive headaches if I drink. Sometimes one glass of wine is ok, but I can always tell a headache is lurking.

Yesterday was the worst. I had a glass of wine with a very light lunch and it was my first meal of the day. The waiter then gave me another free glass of wine because we had to wait longer on our check. I had a headache almost immediately, but later in the night it turned into a migraine that had me vomiting for 4 hours and the pain would not stop. :( My migraine medicine had no effect whatsoever.

Finally, I was able to sleep around 11PM. This on only 2 glasses of wine!! It's too bad because I really love the taste of wine.

Raye
07-16-13, 04:44 AM
This is just my opinion, but I always heard never to mix any kind of pills with alcohol.

zach69gumby
07-29-13, 02:03 PM
I had some rum the other night with the family, and I didn't really get affected actually. The only real effect I can think of is more drowsiness but that tends to happen either way.

FogNoggin
10-01-13, 10:36 PM
I usually wind up drinking less, finishing up the last few beers by day 3, whereas before (pre wellbutrin) a case usually lasted one night or a few left the next day.
I think alcohol seizures happen when coming down from the alcohol.

But I have drank 10 to 12 in a night on occasion.

I can tell you though, that I only had 5 beers Saturday night and had a 12 beer hangover the next day.
Yes, sometimes, but not always you get bigger hangovers.
Maybe it's good to stay hydrated, have a good drink of water before bed when you drink.

IndieVisible
10-01-13, 11:13 PM
I take 300 mg of bupropion daily. I haven't noticed much of a difference in regards to alcohol consumption. I have been more careful with how much I drink since I started taking it, but on quite a few occasions I have had 4-5 drinks with no ill effects. Don't feel drunker or more hung over than before.

Same here the real danger is the seizure risks supposedly increase with alcohol and wellbutrin. So if some one has a history with seizures they prolly should not drink and take wellbutrin together. The only other concern is wellbutrin is a mild stimulant and it's generally not a good idea from a medical standpoint to mix alcohol with stimulants. It could intensify the alcohol effect. I don't drink a lot so it's not a problem for me.

FogNoggin
10-07-13, 08:06 PM
Would just like to mention that the next day after drinking, the wellbutrin seems rather ineffective, or less so.
Sort of brain foggy.

Wellbutrin without a hangover seems quite effective in reducing brain fog.

Zombie56
10-13-13, 09:36 AM
It's not good for me...
I have been taking 100mg 2x a day for about 5 years and prior to taking it I drank a fair amount from time to time a lot and there were no real adverse affects, I was a happy drunk who always had a good time.
About two months after starting the prescription I went out and had a few drinks and blacked out, I was 100% alert and functional but according to others that were there I was not the normal happy drunk I had previously been.
I thought it was a fluke and it has happened a few times since where I have a few drinks and then I fell as thought I should try to drink the bar out of alcohol, every time I wake up the next day with a huge hangover that sometimes lasts for days and fear of what happened as I have no idea of what I did. I never put the two together until recently and I will no longer drink at all and I will be talking to my Dr. as I feel he should know what it is doing to me for my sake and the sake of others.
IMO do not drink on it, period.

ronmexico
10-15-13, 11:27 PM
I have a question. Sort of off topic. Before Adderall XR I was prescribed Wellbutrin. I've never slept so much in my life. Something, like, 14 hours a day.

I stuck with Wellbutrin regimen without fail because this doctor I am with is the last doctor that won't kick me out of her office.

But, yeah, 14 hours a day. Never in my life have I been that tired. Why would Wellbutrin make someone sleepy?

sara_janie33
12-08-13, 02:36 PM
First, of course Id say drinking on this is a bad idea.

I'm on bupropion 150 xL once daily. Have been for one month. I take it in the morning.

Last night I tried drinking for the first time. I had a few drinks, each time I made one kept the liquor to 1/4 - 1/2 shot each drink. Drank over the period of 5 hours. I didn't feel drunk at all really, haven't been sick today.

Also, I am a TOTAL lightweight. On am empty stomach I get drunk off two shots/drinks. I was nervous about drinking especially because of this.

I would say it's okay to test limits, but make your own drinks, keep alcohol low, and stop drinking if you feel the effects. Of course don't mix drink types. (I did, bad idea, but didn't drink much of both types anyway) Don't chug drinks.

And DONT plan on driving.

sara_janie33
12-09-13, 05:34 PM
First, of course Id say drinking on this is a bad idea.

I'm on bupropion 150 xL once daily. Have been for one month. I take it in the morning.

Last night I tried drinking for the first time. I had a few drinks, each time I made one kept the liquor to 1/4 - 1/2 shot each drink. Drank over the period of 5 hours. I didn't feel drunk at all really, haven't been sick today.

Also, I am a TOTAL lightweight. On am empty stomach I get drunk off two shots/drinks. I was nervous about drinking especially because of this.

I would say it's okay to test limits, but make your own drinks, keep alcohol low, and stop drinking if you feel the effects. Of course don't mix drink types. (I did, bad idea, but didn't drink much of both types anyway) Don't chug drinks.

And DONT plan on driving.

Well I take that back. No hangover like I said, but last two days I have been exhausted, sleeping a bunch, angry and irritable, and slurring my words a bit.

littlesmg88
01-20-14, 01:25 AM
I drank daily (at least a few beers to help me sleep) for the past 7 months but havnt since last week the day I started my wellbutrin (100mg 2x a day) but I really want a beer... the risk of seizure scares me though so idk what to do. I've drank on all my medications even though your not supposed to and nothing happened...:confused:

littlesmg88
01-22-14, 06:15 PM
I'm so tempted to drink. Been on 100mg 2x a day wellbutrin sr since last monday. Been sober since. Asked the doctor if I could have just one beer she said if I am going to drink don't take my wellbutrin that day. Grrr... dunno what to do..

sarahsweets
01-23-14, 06:34 AM
the sweeter the drink the worse the headache.

littlesmg88
01-30-14, 11:52 PM
what about the risk of seizure? anyone have any bad experiences? I've been on wellbutrin sr 100mg for 2 weeks and quit my daily drinking cold turkey cause my doc said I could have a seizure. said if I'm gonna drink dont take my meds that day. I'm scared to have even one beer but im craving one bad tonight :(

Rebelyell
01-31-14, 01:52 AM
Its the sugar in the alcohol combined w dehydration that you end up w a headache besides the alcohol.It tells you on the bottle but Idk I really don't care if Im stressed out and I feel like a drink or 3 Im going to do it and not worry about the repercussions to my liver.it definitely intensifies the buzz where I could drink 4,5,6 before I got feeling good and warm w the hipro glow rocking now its like 2-4 and I have to slow down because I definitely feel the buzz hitting me faster and harder.

chayanne
06-04-14, 07:16 AM
I would like to share my experience so it could be helpful to someone. I've been taking Wellbutrin XL 100mg daily for about at least 5 years, and i very much know the dynamics that i ve went through in various episodes being on and off and with some dose changing. Being an alcohol related post i could say that im a heavy drinker specially during the weekends (4/5 liters of beer OR easily 500ml of scotch every weekend night), my sure effects are: blacking out at some point or points during the evening, hangover for way more than a whole day meaning that i could sleep on and off for the entire day, not even after finishing my first beer i already feel the alcohol effect on my system (don't remember being that fast pre-Wellbutrin era), obviously getting drunk way faster, apathy until im not fully recovered, and sometimes lightly anxious. Never had any seizures and/or migrained related issues caused by this, but not even before taking Wellbutrin. Also my heavy smoking still exists with no changes. If somebody found this helpful, make sure i'll be the first one you think of if you stumble upon some healthy liver lying around.

lovelyweather
05-27-16, 09:21 PM
I've read this thread and have an interesting story:
22 years ago I was drinking a bottle of wine a night and became a bit depressed, and was then hanging out in bars to socialize, but then became isolated. During this time I went to a college-town clinic, did weekly group therapy for a year, and was still depressed, and still drinking.

The psychiatrist on staff interviewed me for a half-hour and prescribed Wellbutrin. It was good for obsessive-compulsive behaviors and depression he said. It did perk me up, lengthen my stride (literally) and helped me develop as a more socially confident person. I'm a good patient, so I continued to take it... for 20 years. During this time my drinking went through phases, related to stress and social influences.

I became involved with a sailing community, and they DRANK. And that's how I really wanted to drink, so I did, too. And I kept taking my pills every day. This went on until I was bothered not so much by the blackout drinking but by the drug interaction. I would wake with a hangover so painful and severe I could not form words (literally) for a day.

(The paper in the medication bottle says, "Do not use with alcohol, or, drink only up to one drink." Up-to-but-not-including-one? What does "up-to-one" mean?) The inability to form words (meaning the inability to have a coherent phrase come out of my mouth, and the inability to know what to do about it) was a problem since my work was primarily on the phone. I was still on a wine bottle/night or so, but it was the 1.5 liter size.

Finally, something had to give, and clearly it was the medication. I quit the Wellbutrin (saving money!). And that is when my drinking TOOK OFF. Within 6-months I had quit working altogether, and gradually graduated to cheap plastic bottles of vodka (the better kind). After two drinks I couldn't get drunker no matter how much I drank, just pass out. I then made a decision to quit drinking.

I believe the Wellbutrin was an effective medication in slowing the progression of my alcoholism. The obsession/compulsion aspect of it was definitely addressed by the Wellbutrin, but it did not stop progressing. It just slowed down. Eventually the alcoholism progressed to the point it made me want to get rid of the medication. I'm an alcoholic. I believe that's what happens when you use Wellbutrin and you are an alcoholic.

Eventually you will want to drink without the consequences, even though the Wellbutrin is the thing that initially makes it seem possible to drink with impunity. Wellbutrin is a brain-drug; alcohol is a mind-drug. Not to get semantic, but there is no question in my mind Wellbutrin supports the illusion of control for an alcoholic. I don't want to live in an illusion that can kill me because it's an illusion.

I haven't tried the plethora of drug "cures" for alcoholism. My cure is abstinence, and it works for me. I'm not looking for a "cure" that enables drinking with impunity. For me now, drinking is just not that big a pressure that I would take a drug to enable it.

If you are seeking a drug to enable drinking without bad consequences, you really need to look at that and admit it. It's not physically-emotionally-mentally healthy to be that desirous of a drink on a continuous or regular basis. If you are looking for a "taper-off" drug, Wellbutrin might work to keep you from going batty, but I'd do it under a doctor's careful eye, with a mind for it to be a specific period of time.

If you are an alcoholic, tapering off with Wellbutrin might make it seem that you can moderate your drinking. But it will progress, and it will find a way. Wellbutrin will not stop the progression of your drinking or your alcoholism.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I just know what happened to me, and I've talked with others about their experience with Wellbutrin and drinking, and they all match. Not exactly the same, but the cascade and methodology of behavior matches. The craving for alcohol is a terrible and powerful thing. It goes into your soul; that's why people often choose suicide as a solution. If there are drugs that can relieve the craving, they are a god-send; but alcoholism is much more than just the craving.

It goes into every part of your brain and every aspect of your mind. What I've seen and experienced is that your whole life has to change; you have to create a new mind, a new way of thinking, and this changes your brain. You don't learn how to play the alcohol game and win, you learn how to create a life that is beyond winning, and doesn't need alcohol.

That's what has happened to me. I have hope it will continue. I hope this helps someone else.

krazylegs
06-03-16, 01:57 PM
I just started drinking again after 6 years sobriety, and I drink a lot about 6 days a week. 3 weeks ago I started Wellbutrin 150 mg /2x/day and have not noticed anything other than weird dreams every night. I want to stop drinking again, but my addiction got the best of me and here i am with this ADD that is rampant, and it gets worse when I am not drinking, at least when I've got a little buzz going on I am focused on the task at hand... not the safest but heck I've been doing this for 20+ years.. self medicating. I really want to get on adderall but my insurance doesn't cover it. I have not tried it but I want to try meds now instead of self medicating with beer and wine! That is simply my experience .. if anyone has suggestions.. let em roll:cool:

Little Nut
06-03-16, 06:28 PM
Ack, would you mind answering a question or 2 beforehand? Your questions seem to be for more than satisfying your own personal curiosity. Who/why are you collecting this information for? To what ends ends do you see the collected information being used for?

Don't worry, not trying to get the locals to arm themselves with pitchforks, I just like to know who and what the audience is for my responses. TIA, -LN

SyberCat
07-03-16, 12:59 PM
This is something I've been wondering about. I was on Buproprion 75mg for about a month and just recently went up to 100mg. (Switched from Lexapro.) Right now I drink occasionally, maybe one glass of beer or wine a week, with no ill effects. FWIW my drinks are always in the evening and I take my meds in the a.m.

I'd like to be able to have 2-3 drinks when I'm out with friends or family but am afraid to risk it. There were some pretty dire warnings in the info sheet that came with the prescription.

Danski
07-22-16, 10:32 PM
Well... I just spent the better part of the day paying for the wellbutrin and 4 Mike's hard Lemonades I drank last night. AGAIN. Now, I'm no real drinker, but sometimes a couple "frou frou" drinks socially is nice from time to time ...but I'd forgotten what happens every time. A super bad hangover, with severe vomiting, #9 migraine, and flu-like symptoms that last all day long. Writing this as I hope the simple, salty ramen I ate stays down, it's 7pm and my head is still a #5. Unfortunately, I'm used to migraines, but the vomiting bile thing is no fun at all. The only thing that helps that is Zofran sublingually (usually it takes 2 doses to calm my belly) and I'm finally able to eat and start rehydration. My whole day today was done last night when the severe migraine took hold and I knew I wouldn't be worth anything today. This time it was 4 bottles of Mike's (more than my norm), but sometimes this happens after just 2 cidres or Mikes-like drinks. Forget it if I mess up and take a shot or two of liquor! I could be in bed, throwing up for up to 2 days!!! I do not have ADD, but this thread asked for experiences and I had to post mine. I'm a Major Depressive, with Borderline Personality Disorder. My other meds are Klonopin as needed for anxiety and Trazodone at bed for sleep problems and appetite stimulation, as this makes one tired and eat. I had skipped the Traz last night though. Hope this helps and I'd never heard of a Wellbutrin Hangover, but it's an appropriate term and it is a very real thing. Thanks and have a better day than I'm having!

FocusPocus10
07-28-16, 06:17 PM
7 months, GSK SR 150 twice to thrice daily.

Drink like a fish.

No ill effects. (except probably severe liver damage)

Moderarte drinking doesn't cause severe liver drinking - binge drinking (a bottle a day of hard liquor or 2+ wine bottles etc). Actually 3 drinks a day is the ceiling where drinking crosses over from positive to harmful.

bamboo
10-19-16, 03:17 PM
I am on 150mg Wellbutrin, for 1.5 week now. Today I forgot I wasn't allowed alcohol and ordered a glass of wine at dinner. The moment I got my drink, it got back to me that I shouldn't be drinking. But I drank it anyway haha.

As I'm still experiencing the side effects of wellbutrin and not so much the 'good' effects, I find it difficult to distinguish the effects of alcohol or the effects of wellbutrin on it's own.

At this moment I'm kinda feeling "off" as if I'm not really here but just zoning out in my thoughts. Besides that I'm feeling some sort of pressure in the back of my head, but I've had this as well before I tried alcohol.

This topic really interests me because I've read about the increasing risks on seizures when drinking. Has anyone experienced this with a low dose of wellbutrin or alcohol? I really missed out on some parties because I haven't really been drinking for the last 2 months now. At this moment it's Amsterdam Dance Event but I'm too afraid to go there while drinking alcohol. I am not a heavy drinker! but just a few drinks for a 'social cause' are always part of the plan haha.

Little Missy
10-19-16, 03:28 PM
Well... I just spent the better part of the day paying for the wellbutrin and 4 Mike's hard Lemonades I drank last night. AGAIN. Now, I'm no real drinker, but sometimes a couple "frou frou" drinks socially is nice from time to time ...but I'd forgotten what happens every time. A super bad hangover, with severe vomiting, #9 migraine, and flu-like symptoms that last all day long. Writing this as I hope the simple, salty ramen I ate stays down, it's 7pm and my head is still a #5. Unfortunately, I'm used to migraines, but the vomiting bile thing is no fun at all. The only thing that helps that is Zofran sublingually (usually it takes 2 doses to calm my belly) and I'm finally able to eat and start rehydration. My whole day today was done last night when the severe migraine took hold and I knew I wouldn't be worth anything today. This time it was 4 bottles of Mike's (more than my norm), but sometimes this happens after just 2 cidres or Mikes-like drinks. Forget it if I mess up and take a shot or two of liquor! I could be in bed, throwing up for up to 2 days!!! I do not have ADD, but this thread asked for experiences and I had to post mine. I'm a Major Depressive, with Borderline Personality Disorder. My other meds are Klonopin as needed for anxiety and Trazodone at bed for sleep problems and appetite stimulation, as this makes one tired and eat. I had skipped the Traz last night though. Hope this helps and I'd never heard of a Wellbutrin Hangover, but it's an appropriate term and it is a very real thing. Thanks and have a better day than I'm having!

woooo doggie, Zofran, while it worked great for some nausea I had, gives me a 2 day no let up migraine-like headache :eek: