View Full Version : Meditation: my experience

Jackinbox
02-06-12, 12:48 PM
About one year ago, I got really interested in the idea of using meditation to deal with ADHD. I got my diagnosis in 2004 and tried pretty much everything on earth to get some control over my thoughts. I ended up flying to Southeast Asia to learn to meditate directly from Buddhists monks.

I learned a lot from that experience. In nutshell, the kind of meditation I learned (Mahasi) consists of paying attention of everything moment to moment. You train your brain to notice every thoughts that arise in your mind and how to avoid making a story out of them.

I did read A LOT about meditation and the various techniques but the Mahasi is the one I know the most. It's potentially the most effective for ADHD. It's a kind of Vipassana somewhat similar to what John Kabat-Zinn popularized.

If I was to write everything I have to say about the subject, this post would be too long to read for anyone with ADHD. So I propose that you ask me questions instead.

During retreats I was able to quiet my mind to the extend that I would feel "ADHD free" and also experience deep form of happiness. Sadly, it's not an easy practice and I'm struggling now to bring those benefits to a "normal" life. Still, I consider now that meditation can help me greatly along with my medications.

-Nick-
02-09-12, 05:05 PM
Can't meditate. Have tried. It's very hard.

Unmanagable
02-11-12, 04:25 AM
I haven't received any formal guidance, but in my searches, I have found that guided meditation and satsangs resonate with me the most. Chanting has also been quite effective.

Thank you for your willingness to share your experiences.

String
02-11-12, 11:02 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I learned some relaxation and visualization techniques from a psych as a teenager. Those have always helped me. Later in life, I started doing sensory scans. I actually learned to scan my senses while writing fiction.

I've only recently been studying mindfulness, the Kabat-Zinn type stuff (I'm now in my 40s). The way I've combined the relaxation techniques and sensory scans in that past have actually prepared me well to learn more about meditation. I try to apply some meditation every day. It's hard. But when I don't, my ADHD gets a lot worse and then it just gets harder to meditate at all.

I'm still reading Mindfulness for Dummies (it seems to be kind of Vipassana). It's good.