View Full Version : How do Dexedrine Spansules work

Chace90
02-06-12, 08:00 PM
:umm1: I am taking one 5 mg Dextroamphetamine Sulfate sustained release capsule twice daily(They are the barr brand). I have absolutely no idea how they work, I don't know if they are like Adderall Xr and have two types of beads one that is absorb right away and then the other type is absorb about 4 hours later. Or mabey as the sustained release suggests it is slowly released over a certain amount of time? I just dont know.:confused: So I would very much appreciate any information about how they work.

La Sleepy
02-07-12, 12:01 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have looked at everything I can find online to figure out how they work and why they don't work the way the IR did for me. They just don't seem to work well in helping me function! I am taking 3 of 10 mg ER dex capsules a day and I feel mostly unmedicated. I hope people here can help answer your question because it would help me as well!!! :)

tambourine-man
02-07-12, 02:36 AM
Half the dose is released initially. The other half is released slowly over the next few hours.

JR1973
02-07-12, 10:44 AM
You get an initial release then a gradual release over the next few hours. The gradual release happens at different rates so it really isn't a bi-modal release like Adderall XR uses.

BR549
02-07-12, 12:37 PM
JR1973 is correct. From the Dexedrine Spansule Manufacturer's Prescribing Info:

www.dexedrine.com/docs/dexedrine_PI.pdf

Each SPANSULE sustained-release capsule is so prepared that an initial dose is released promptly and the remaining medication is released gradually over a prolonged period.

Amedra makes name brand spansules. Amedra is a subsidiary of Corepharma. Both Barr and Corepharma make generic spansules, too. They all work the same though.

Chace90
02-07-12, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Knowing this I think I will ask to up the dose at my next appointment, because the 5mg was is helping, but it seems like the benefits come and go at random times and I think its because its 5mg sustained release. I think with 10mg the benefits would be better and more stable.