View Full Version : My teachers dont understand me.

myheadisloud
02-07-12, 11:10 AM
I keep doing my best to complete assignments. I work all day and have no free time to just have fun but I'm always tired at school, because i have trouble sleeping(my head goes crazy with random thoughts) and i forget my homework.
When I tell the teacher she just says that if it were important enough to me I would remember it, but I swear that I can't. nobody believes me they just say I'm excusing myself, and I can't get help from my parents. They think A.D.D is a made up condition. When the doctor diagnosed me with it they called him crazy and made me switch doctors. Also I am smart and score high on the state assessment so the teachers expect a lot from me. So what am i supposed to do here? I need help to remember assignments.

sarahsweets
02-07-12, 01:09 PM
How old are you? How long did you see your prior doctor? What did he say to you about adhd?

myheadisloud
02-07-12, 01:58 PM
im 15 i saw my prior doctor from when i was around 5 until when he diagnosed me he didnt say much except that that was why i had trouble paying attention and it was why i had so many thoughts in my head at once he wanted to put me on a stimulant

domobriety227
02-07-12, 08:42 PM
I'm 19 and have ADD. i have issues with school, though not exactly the same problems. and it is frustrating how so many people won't even accept ADD as a condition or a real thing. I guess I can see how some people might appear to have the condition, and could easily fake it. But it is a real condition.. your brain is designed differently than someone without ADD.
I don't know if the info will help or I'm sorry if I'm explaining something you may already know, but I've been studying some about the condition just because not only does it provide some major relief just knowing that all of the things you do and are going through, literally aren't your fault. Like with the paying attention and forgetfulness,it really isn't your fault. Your incapable. and I don't mean that in a mean way. People with ADD have lower levels of dopamine, which affects a persons ability to pay attention. And hormones affect everything a person does.. plus an ADD brain is literally wired a bit differently. They're actually doing testing on it right now.

I would say if you've been diagnosed like you said, see if you can't get actual proof on paper or something from the dr and show it to your teachers. Have a parent talk to the school.
Also, depending on the symptoms you have (because ADD isn't the exact same in everyone) a stimulant may not be a bad idea.
I've been on vyvanse almost a year, and for me it's changed my life so much. I still struggle with a lot. But compared to the person I was just a couple of years ago.. there's so much of a difference. Stimulants don't work for everyone, but oh my god.. for any ADD person, a med could change your life.

lookoutRAC
02-08-12, 12:51 AM
Write it down. That's the only advice I can give you. I'm in college and I still struggle with it, but that's honestly the only way to remember those assignments.

Is counseling made available to you? Or maybe a school psychiatrist? Why not set up an appointment with someone. It helps to have someone outside the classroom but still within the building understand what's going on. I used it a lot in high school.

Paws13
03-27-12, 10:14 PM
When I tell the teacher she just says that if it were important enough to me I would remember it, but I swear that I can't. nobody believes me they just say I'm excusing myself, and I can't get help from my parents. They think A.D.D is a made up condition. When the doctor diagnosed me with it they called him crazy and made me switch doctors. Also I am smart and score high on the state assessment so the teachers expect a lot from me. So what am i supposed to do here? I need help to remember assignments.

I'm surprised your parents think ADD is a made up condition seeing they got you tested for it. Stimulants are hit and miss as well; all doctors recommend medication for ADD, but it doesn't work for everybody. I definitely know where you're coming from about people thinking ADD is made up though. The high test scores are always misleading. It's frustrating for all parties involved.

As for remembering your assignments, it goes a long way to write them down. I'm a junior in college, and still find myself needing to write down important things. Keep it all in one place; find a small notebook or an agenda from Staples, and always keep it in your backpack.

Another thing I do is take out everything I need for the class that I'm in at the moment. If I'm in math, I take out my math notebook, folder, book, and the agenda and leave it all at the corner of my desk. That way I don't risk putting math papers into the black void of my backpack. I can store them in my folder, and I'm less likely to actually lose the homework.

Good luck, let us know how it all goes!

Seaweed603
01-04-13, 04:50 PM
If you foreget it at home, just put it in your bag when you are done with it, if not just make a to-do list and check it of when you finish an assignment.