View Full Version : does this sound strange?

stef
02-08-12, 06:34 PM
So I was having this kind of intense yet rambling talk with my mom, I was telling her that I'd been feeling tired & kind of overwhelmed since the new year (with work, etc; never caught up sleep after the holidays..)

then i added "plus, 2012 is just so different! I have trouble wrapping my mind around "12" ! it doesn't feel the same." or something like that.
this was as tangible/plausible as other reasons January was kind of a rough month.

She said that she "never understands when I say strange things like that"

this wasn't an argument or anything and she wasn't being mean; I just finally realised that sometimes she realy doesn't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about. And I mean since I was really little. Wow. I am just really getting tired of reigning in my thoughts for everyone's benefit.

fracturedstory
02-08-12, 06:39 PM
It sounds like synaesthesia. It's a criss-crossing of the sensory pathways so you experience one sense by experiencing another. Date and months can have a feeling or a location in time. The most common form is that letters and numbers have colours.

2012 feels different to me but for different reasons. I'll give you a clue: I like doomsday theories. We only have 109 days left to live.
Or maybe not.

January is kind of yellow to me. I think it has to do with J's and Y's being yellow too.

Blueranne
02-08-12, 06:43 PM
Steff you don't have to reign things in like that. :) they are the weird ones for not getting it. :p

wiffy123
02-08-12, 06:44 PM
its diff for me my dad thinks iam off it all the time he thinks iam propa out there.my mum tho is cool,she a menssa member so she can keep up with my rambling jumping convasations but she not tactile but then my dads a huggr where my mum aint she mentaly there with me but it stops there,life hey its never the same u think u got the answer then bag it goes wobbely.:D

stef
02-08-12, 06:44 PM
yes, definitely synesthesia! words have texture & taste and dates & months have a kind of location.
I guess I just keep forgetting that a lot of people don't have this...

fracturedstory
02-08-12, 06:53 PM
I enjoy randomly bringing it up to people who don't understand.
Then I remember my sister has it too who thinks everybody is like that.
When something triggers a smell she calls it a 'stroke moment.' I don't like how she uses the word in light but at least we have something in common.

ADHDTigger
02-08-12, 07:20 PM
If it helps any, Stef, 12 *feels* wrong to me too.

Synesthesia. Check.

13 doesn't *feel* much better. 14 will be lovely so I'm looking forward to that one.

stef
02-09-12, 04:39 AM
I really liked "11", it was kind of punchy.

pooka
02-09-12, 11:44 PM
I'm not too too synaesthetic, but 2010 was nice and round, I know what you mean about 12 feeling weird. Numbers have always vaguely had feelings/personalities for me...four is my favorite because she's kind of like me, slightly tomboy-ish and fun but can also be quiet sometimes :)
If your mom wasn't saying that to be mean, I'd just go ahead and take it as a compliment! You're special and you think differently, that's not always a bad thing.

spunkysmum
02-10-12, 12:07 AM
Hmmm.

Even if I didn't quite understand you, I'd not try to make you feel like you were weird. I'd probably chalk it up to whimsy and let it pass without comment.

I know what it feels like to be saying something that makes perfect sense to me and have somebody looking at me like I'm a weirdo. It doesn't feel nice. I wouldn't want to make somebody else feel like that.

DaveHawk
02-10-12, 12:32 AM
I'm there with you. Spouting off nothings thoughts. Not as much any more but and as a artist I see things differently and experience people as if there best friends the 1st time I meet someone.
12 for me is a light year. Light is weight, fluffy, easy going, melloncolic and for color blue, tranquil. Enjoy this year. Don't worry about what is ahead, can't do anything about ot. So live it.

stef
02-10-12, 04:36 AM
She wasn't being mean at all, just really baffled. Yet, she knows me so well, otherwise! it was just a very strange moment.
I'm not venting about her at all, it's just the situation.

I really hate when I'm having a good conversation, and all of the sudden the other person has no idea what I'm talking about.

FroGpants
04-14-14, 07:25 PM
I know this thread is kinda old but can someone explain synesthesia a little more? Or a lot more?

So I just googled it and saw that there are different kinds. One of them is number-form and it made me think...

I've always had a problem conceptualizing future dates. Like if you tell me an event is 6 months away I can't 'see' it and have an extremely hard time planning for it. I can't 'see' anything until it's less than two weeks away. Then it's like I can see the days but I can only see within those 14 days. There can only be one weekend... Saturday & Sunday are sorta stuck together and they're in the middle. Like I can see from today (Monday) until pretty much the end of next week. It looks kinda like a road that stretches out in front of me. I can't see the following weekend.

I've always thought I put off planning for things until the last minute because of my adhd and procrastination but now I'm not so sure. I've been in the position to do things with plenty of time to plan but I just can't do it until I can actually 'see' the event.

If it doesn't sound like a synesthesia issue, does anyone have any other ideas or similar experiences or is this just an adhd/add thing?

dvdnvwls
04-14-14, 10:29 PM
I know this thread is kinda old but can someone explain synesthesia a little more? Or a lot more?

So I just googled it and saw that there are different kinds. One of them is number-form and it made me think...

I've always had a problem conceptualizing future dates. Like if you tell me an event is 6 months away I can't 'see' it and have an extremely hard time planning for it. I can't 'see' anything until it's less than two weeks away. Then it's like I can see the days but I can only see within those 14 days. There can only be one weekend... Saturday & Sunday are sorta stuck together and they're in the middle. Like I can see from today (Monday) until pretty much the end of next week. It looks kinda like a road that stretches out in front of me. I can't see the following weekend.

I've always thought I put off planning for things until the last minute because of my adhd and procrastination but now I'm not so sure. I've been in the position to do things with plenty of time to plan but I just can't do it until I can actually 'see' the event.

If it doesn't sound like a synesthesia issue, does anyone have any other ideas or similar experiences or is this just an adhd/add thing?
This is just an ADHD thing. Some people call it "time-blindness". Synesthesia is when one of your senses can automatically activate another one, such as if hearing a certain sound forcing you to also see the same colour or picture every time.