View Full Version : Women, men...help me find a good way to describe what we feel

Piper30
02-09-12, 02:28 AM
OK, I've been over the internet for hours now...seeing the same links, same YouTube videos I did two years ago. I'm not satisfied.

If your up to it, I would truly appreciate hearing how you yourself describe the pain associated with your fibromyalgia.

When I wake I have a general all over stiff, sore, aching feeling. Like I had been stuck in one position for days. Also my hands are always in a fist. I spend the first few minutes prying my fingers straight.
Next my neck, it hurts nearly all the time. It feels like it is stone, muscles hard, tendons making clicking sound. Sometimes I'm afraid to move too quickly fearing it will snap. Also a crunching sound when I lean side to side. My neck pain nearly always leads to a headache, which if not treated quickly enough and with right meds leads to migraine. Then I'm dealing with my migraine Med side effects...no fun.

Next my back. Is it possible all my muscles are pulling towards one center point? Trying to form a huge ball? I think so.. it feels that way. I walk around as if I'm constantly doing yoga moves trying to stretch because I'm positive my muscles will end up in this ball or are furniture to stone as well.. this tight,.burning, stabbing feeling makes it hard to get a deep breath so I also spend the say looking like I'm overly sighing at everyone and thing. Not cute.
My vision during these times is blurry...quite annoying when my glasses are of no help. I was also having the bladder issues, UTI symptoms yet not infection...enablex has helped this. I still go frequently.

When I'm driving I drive smooth, no bumps or sharp turns this seems to make it worse. When DH is driving I feel like I'm in a tire rolling down a hill. He takes turns hard..this makes my muscles tighten he knows what happened and he gets down, which stresses me out and we all know after that stress hits it is time to play The Symptom is Right.. spin the wheel to see what sets in first. For me it is usually the neck. If only I could get a neck and back transplant.

I have found no truly good way to describe how severe my pain is. Or what certain things feel like... The other day I may have come close at least in explaining the level of pain.. to a man anyway.

DH asked if it was that bad..without thinking I told him to imagine someone taking a sledge hammer to his groin, after he recovered or began to, they hit him again only this time finished off with leaving his precious parts in a vice grip. He looked horrified but maybe had some clue I wasn't complaining because I was a "little" sore...no, my body had a migraine.. the kind you go to the er for.

Still though, I would love to find comparisons that healthy people can relate to.. when describing what if feels like... So please share. I would love to hear how you explain it or even success stories of finally making someone understand...or come close.

Much love and pain free wishes

RedHairedWitch
02-09-12, 01:06 PM
Scroll down for a better pain chart.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/boyfriend-doesnt-have-ebola-probably.html

Fraser_0762
02-09-12, 01:08 PM

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/boyfriend-doesnt-have-ebola-probably.html

That made me LOL :D

wiffy123
02-09-12, 01:47 PM
damn girl thats some pian............the hand and knee one i get was motobike courier in central london for too long in winter crashes bones broke and now arthritus ..i use to have to fill sink with walm warter to open my clutch hand as it was locked up....its hard to discribe pain to people who have never realy had it ............my normal response it look do one as iam in pain and they ask how much, i say this much if i push my fist throu ur face about that mutch....sending u pian free thourts. :grouphug:

SwissArmy
02-26-12, 11:51 PM
OK, I've been over the internet for hours now...seeing the same links, same YouTube videos I did two years ago. I'm not satisfied.

If your up to it, I would truly appreciate hearing how you yourself describe the pain associated with your fibromyalgia.

When I wake I have a general all over stiff, sore, aching feeling. Like I had been stuck in one position for days. Also my hands are always in a fist. I spend the first few minutes prying my fingers straight.
Next my neck, it hurts nearly all the time. It feels like it is stone, muscles hard, tendons making clicking sound. Sometimes I'm afraid to move too quickly fearing it will snap. Also a crunching sound when I lean side to side. My neck pain nearly always leads to a headache, which if not treated quickly enough and with right meds leads to migraine. Then I'm dealing with my migraine Med side effects...no fun.

Next my back. Is it possible all my muscles are pulling towards one center point? Trying to form a huge ball? I think so.. it feels that way. I walk around as if I'm constantly doing yoga moves trying to stretch because I'm positive my muscles will end up in this ball or are furniture to stone as well.. this tight,.burning, stabbing feeling makes it hard to get a deep breath so I also spend the say looking like I'm overly sighing at everyone and thing. Not cute.
My vision during these times is blurry...quite annoying when my glasses are of no help. I was also having the bladder issues, UTI symptoms yet not infection...enablex has helped this. I still go frequently.

When I'm driving I drive smooth, no bumps or sharp turns this seems to make it worse. When DH is driving I feel like I'm in a tire rolling down a hill. He takes turns hard..this makes my muscles tighten he knows what happened and he gets down, which stresses me out and we all know after that stress hits it is time to play The Symptom is Right.. spin the wheel to see what sets in first. For me it is usually the neck. If only I could get a neck and back transplant.

I have found no truly good way to describe how severe my pain is. Or what certain things feel like... The other day I may have come close at least in explaining the level of pain.. to a man anyway.

DH asked if it was that bad..without thinking I told him to imagine someone taking a sledge hammer to his groin, after he recovered or began to, they hit him again only this time finished off with leaving his precious parts in a vice grip. He looked horrified but maybe had some clue I wasn't complaining because I was a "little" sore...no, my body had a migraine.. the kind you go to the er for.

Still though, I would love to find comparisons that healthy people can relate to.. when describing what if feels like... So please share. I would love to hear how you explain it or even success stories of finally making someone understand...or come close.

Much love and pain free wishes

Have you ever tried Dexedrine, Codeine or Caffeine? It is known for a fact that Adderall, Ritalin and other stimulants will work badly.

Piper30
02-29-12, 12:22 PM

It won't let me see link :(