View Full Version : Lumpy feeling in right side of throat

Fraser_0762
02-10-12, 09:26 PM
Sorry, wasn't quite sure where to post this.

For quite some time now I seem to get this lumpy feeling in the right side of my throat. I'm not on any medication, but I find caffeine seems to trigger the lumpy feeling and sometimes when I swallow its as if the right part of my throat becomes jammed???? (feels like an instant spasm that can last from seconds to minutes, which makes it impossible to swallow again until it goes away). (Its also quite painful!)

Anybody else experienced this? And know what it may be?

I'm not sure if it may be my tonsils or a thyroid problem?

I wont get a chance to see my GP for 2 weeks as he's away, but would like to know if anybody else has a clue to what this may be. :(

Fuzzy12
02-10-12, 09:35 PM
I'm sorry. I've got no clue. Maybe it's some kind of allergic reaction? It doesn't sound very pleasant. :(

cameron90
02-10-12, 09:42 PM
Globus pharyngeus is a general term that's given to the sensation of having a lump in the throat. I think it's usually something associated with stress, and also with acid reflux or other medical conditions. Maybe something lodged?

If it's painful and causing you difficulty to swallow, and not just a uncomfortable feeling, then seeing the doctor and getting some kind of imaging done would be beneficial. How long has it been like this, exactly, to your recollection?

Fraser_0762
02-10-12, 09:48 PM
Globus pharyngeus is a general term that's given to the sensation of having a lump in the throat. I think it's usually something associated with stress, and also with acid reflux or other medical conditions. Maybe something lodged?

If it's painful and causing you difficulty to swallow, and not just a uncomfortable feeling, then seeing the doctor and getting some kind of imaging done would be beneficial. How long has it been like this, exactly, to your recollection?

I've had problems with the right side of my throat for years, but always seems to be made far worse after consuming caffeine. You could be right, it may be the release of stress hormones causing me to experience this. But it feels so real and whenever my throat spasms up, I could almost swear that I feel a lump when I press my fingers against the side of my throat. The throat spasms are awful, because I can't swallow or speak or anything. I just kinda massage the side of my throat until the spasm goes away, but I still feel a lumpyness.

Fraser_0762
02-10-12, 09:53 PM
I think it may be a "Cricopharyngeal" spasm. According to wiki its caused by stress and anxiety and can take months to go away. :(

Fuzzy12
02-12-12, 05:54 AM
are you feeling better again? :-)

Fraser_0762
02-12-12, 06:00 AM
are you feeling better again? :-)

It's still there. But has got less severe since I stopped popping those "Pro Plus" tablets.

But now my mind feels more static than ever. :(

Fuzzy12
02-12-12, 06:33 AM
Pro Plus? They are caffeine tablets aren't they? I think, I've taken them before. Not pleasant.

If you need caffeine have you tried something a bit less strong? Like green tea? I hate the taste of green tea but sometimes I add some green tea leaves to a bag of camomile tea and that is invigorating and soothing at the same time. :)

Fraser_0762
02-12-12, 06:38 AM
I stopped taking the tablets (not because of my throat) but because my mum was getting upset from finding all the empty packets lying around. She said that it was probably the caffeine making my mind worse. But she doesn't understand that my mind feels worse when I don't take them. :(

I don't like green tea. I like ordinary tea though, so sometimes drink that. But don't really benefit from drinking it.

manismom
02-16-12, 02:55 AM
Just want to point out that your thyroid is right around the front of your throat. Near your Adams Apple. It can swell and get "nodules". An over(under?)active thyroid can cause aggitation, anxiety, sleeplessness, weight loss... In other words, some symptoms that you MIGHT mistake for ADHD. It can also cause difficulty swallowing because of the swelling.

Check it out with your doctor. Husband is going through this right now or I wouldn't know a darn thing about it.

Fraser_0762
02-16-12, 06:22 AM
The thyroid glands are located at each side of the throat, not in the middle (the middle is where the adams apple is lol).

zannie
02-16-12, 06:42 AM
I had multiple nodule goiter, which is a for at least ten years. It seemed as if i was swallowing slower on the right side. The nodules can grow and shrink also new ndules can form and others disappear. Multiple nodules goiter - or any goiter - can be seen by ultra sound.

One relevant thing about the thyroid is that it seems to expand and contract. One doctor told me that it can expand when stressed. Hope this helps - your doc should be able to find out what is going on with you.

manismom
02-16-12, 09:52 AM
Right. On the sides, but they do wrap around a bit. I meant near the Adams apple as opposed to near your ears or collar bone. The photos I have seen show swelling around that area.

Of course it could be knotted up muscles, but its worth mentioning to your doc although I wouldn't make a special appointment unless you are really concerned.

Fraser_0762
02-16-12, 10:02 AM
Well since I stopped taking caffeine tabs and just put up with coffee instead, the lumpy feeling has more or less gone away. So it could have just been a side effect from taking so much caffeine.

I know that caffeine can cause a lot of stress and thats what was probably causing the thyroid muscles to swell up.