View Full Version : On parents' health insurance-they don't like the idea of my taking "methamphetamine"!

sbcy
02-11-12, 12:11 AM
I'm 22 years old, live alone several hundred miles away from my parents but I'm still on their health insurance. I've tried virtually all other stimulants besides Desoxyn with no success. I've been pursuing treatment for my ADD, OCD and anxiety for over 8 years.

My question is: Is there anything I can do to convince them that it likely won't be as awful as they seem to assume? They're saying it's "the most addictive drug" which might be true for prescription drugs, but I haven't had any problems with addiction to any drugs before and I've been prescribed numerous drugs multiple times. I've never smoked, drank alcohol or done any recreational drugs in my life. I'm hoping Desoxyn will be the one thing that finally helps allow me to pursue my dreams but having them freaking out constantly isn't good especially since I couldn't afford health insurance on my own at this point unless I start spending my savings. Any ideas?

tambourine-man
02-11-12, 02:37 AM
In my experience, Desoxyn has no more abuse potential than Adderall or Dexedrine. It is a superior medication for me, but that doesn't mean you will be pleased with it. If Adderall and Dexedrine were utter failures... well, give it a whirl.

sarahsweets
02-11-12, 12:35 PM
Will they forbid you to take it?

Mister Marcinko
02-11-12, 04:00 PM
"Most addictive drug", as far as prescriptions are concerned desoxyn is far removed from being the most addictive drug. There are no life threatening physical withdrawls from it and as far as psychologically addiction is concerned, opiate medications blow this out of the water. I can't see that many addictions to stimulants lasting long-term as they tend to "make you pay" for whatever euphoria you recieved from them, during the comedown. Opiates on the other hand are very gentle on the comedown if there even is one. You could make a point to your parents that desoxyn is more likely to prevent recreational drug use than advocate it.

tambourine-man
02-12-12, 11:11 PM
"Most addictive drug", as far as prescriptions are concerned desoxyn is far removed from being the most addictive drug. There are no life threatening physical withdrawls from it and as far as psychologically addiction is concerned, opiate medications blow this out of the water. I can't see that many addictions to stimulants lasting long-term as they tend to "make you pay" for whatever euphoria you recieved from them, during the comedown. Opiates on the other hand are very gentle on the comedown if there even is one. You could make a point to your parents that desoxyn is more likely to prevent recreational drug use than advocate it.

This is very true for me. Prescription stimulants greatly reduce urges to self-medicate.

electric76
02-16-12, 04:00 PM
Isn't methamphetamine generally easier to "cook" in one's kitchen than amphetamine itself? And methamphetamine happens to be a little "stronger" too they say. But since there's so much stigma behind meth labs, and "dirty" addicts, and chasing the high, doing more and more that may be why meth is viewed as WAY way worse than amphetamine.

Street meth is about a lifestyle too though. Lifestyle of SEEKING the high, lifestyle of buying, spending too much money, self medicating, needing MORE for the high etc... I should put more emphasis on the people you're surrounded by, and also the activities some choose to do while on it (often high risk!)

When you are prescribed, it is a) clean and pure b) overlooked by doctor c) given in the lowest dose needed so the goal is to NOT feel it Not feeling it so much<-->Not chasing high

tambourine-man
02-20-12, 12:23 AM
Just refer to it as desoxyephedrine. You'd think manufacturers would learn to by now.

sbcy
02-23-12, 12:06 AM
Okay after 2 + weeks since getting my script I finally got it yesterday. But all it does is give me this sibtle giddy feeling every now and then. Disappointing :/.

4myadd
03-05-12, 11:41 PM
I've been taking it for months now (15 mg x TID prescribed), but am becoming increasingly skeptical about the hoopla of fear about it possibly being more addicting than other ADHD medications.

With the others (been on most all), I KNEW when the medication wore off. Focalin, Ritilan would drop off leaving me not only "a mess" of disorganization, but prone to tears. When the amphetamine-based drugs wore off, I got the mess with anxiety or irritation. It's as if they all had built in alarm-clocks to remind me time for my next dose. While I still had issues taking my full doses everyday, generally it was due to laziness (medications not on my body), stubbornness, or some other self-inflicted reason.

With Desoxyn, I have had one heck of a hard time keeping myself medicated as needed. The medication is not just subtle in action, but also in the "wearing off." I don't realize I have forgotten my dose until my phone is lost unrecoverable. Alarm clocks are helping some, but if I don't "honor" them, time and time again, I find myself looking at a kitchen in chaos then realize I am two hours over-due.

I once wore a name-tag at a gathering of fellow ADHD'ers saying "Beware: I'm on a drug holiday." Now, if I take a holiday, I don't bite, don't cry and don't find myself practically drunk with sleepiness.

Everyone is different. Maybe I lack a tendency towards addiction (though I have ZERO self-control). Maybe I lack the "liking" they test for to show how addictive a medication is. Maybe many of the people who go fits of alarm about the potential addictive nature of Desoxyn have never taken therapeutically prescribed doses.

Or maybe the generic is junk. I am beginning to wonder if what I thought was subtle is actually ineffective. I do think I may be getting diminished returns from the medication. I could say that that might show that it is a medication that is addictive because ones tolerance raises to it. But, the same has happened with the other ADHD drugs.

So for now, I'll fortify myself with alarm clocks and thank my lucky stars that my family isn't having to deal with the either the tears or irritability that used to come like clockwork when I was on those less-addictive drugs when the medications wore off. Now, when the wear off, I just the same old air-head they used to know. Not a crying, airhead ***** from hell.