View Full Version : Fish Oil Supplements: A natural cure for ADHD

getithere
02-11-12, 04:46 PM
Ive noticed some improvement when Im on it.

Is this helpful?

trishcan
02-11-12, 04:51 PM
Do you make a distinction between "improvement" and "cure?"

getithere
02-11-12, 05:01 PM

Sorry yeah...I think its a vast improvement

spunkysmum
02-11-12, 05:06 PM

Good catch there. The word should be "treatment" here, not cure.

spunkysmum
02-11-12, 05:08 PM
I've been taking them off and on but not sure I notice any marked improvement. I take them along with my medication though, not as a replacement.

String
02-11-12, 10:50 PM
Helps me. I notice when I stop taking.

gatorADDe
02-11-12, 11:06 PM
I think it's good along with medication and for your overall health, but I've never seen any improvement with fish oil alone

Fraser_0762
02-11-12, 11:20 PM
I take fish oils every day (have so for years). Definitlely noticed some difference in my physcial health, but mentally I still feel like i'm all over the place.

MissesS
02-12-12, 07:38 AM
I have just started taking it (I think?) as part of a research study.
I feel much calmer. I don't think it's my meds because they don't seem to be working much (or like they should) I noticed my young ADHD son who is not on medication has been having it daily for a couple of months now and hes a different child. He's also getting therapy too - so you can never tell which it is!

There has been a few studies with ADHD children that show it does benefit. Apparently you need to make sure you take ones with higher EPA to DHA ratio. This is what they recommend for children. Not sure if same applies to adults.

Driver
02-12-12, 07:46 AM
Been trying it for the last few days. Early days, but doesn't look good. At least the capsules were cheap.

plank80
02-12-12, 08:01 AM
I've taken them every day for 3 months now and can't notice any improvement in concentration.

Fuzzy12
02-12-12, 09:07 AM
The few times I managed to take them regularly, I thought they helped a bit with depression. But that could just be because any little thing that signals to my body that I'm trying to be good to myself again (like taking care of my health) makes me feel a bit better.

Not sure about ADHD.

MissesS
02-12-12, 10:29 AM
At least the capsules were cheap.

:eek: that could be the problem!

Lunacie
02-12-12, 10:51 AM
Been trying it for the last few days. Early days, but doesn't look good. At least the capsules were cheap.

I buy mine at a dollar store - they work fine. In fact, I bought some on
sale at Walgreens that were supposed to be better and they didn't work
as well for me. But everyone is different. Stimulants don't work for
everyone, and fish oil doesn't work for everyone. I'm very lucky that fish
oil works very well for me.

Many who do find them helpful say it's most noticable when they stop
taking them and their symptoms return. That's how it works for me. But
once I noticed the difference when I ran out, I realized how much they
were helping. I wasn't stopping in the middle of a response online to try
to get back on track with what I wanted to say, I wasn't struggling to
remember the particular word I wanted to use, I wasn't mixing up what
I'd just read or who had written it.

Definately not a cure because when I run out or forget to take it for more
than a few days all the symptoms return full force, but for me it's a great
treatment.

bizarre101
02-12-12, 12:31 PM
Fish Oil (1000mg/24 hours)...appears to me...

within max. 30 minutes it acts in the body
within max. 60 minutes in the brain
it feels as adrenaline more in the left brain half
serotonin more in the right half...(can be wrong perception or my brain)
when taken for 7 days, it takes 14 days to have its effects vanished (rough estimation now, testing)

It definitely increases adrenaline in the brain

this possibly is what makes feel awake. its a very strong effect.
there is also a definite calming effect, not tiredness, sort of "coolness", rationalism, maybe mood.
if it also increases serotonin in the brain, then slower (days).

Sounds a bit weird, particularly for just one capsule of fish oil, but its my findings. I'm not saying this lightheartedly. Its "reproducable" for me.

Fuzzy12
02-12-12, 12:59 PM
For those of you for whom it helps:

Does it have to be fish oil or would anything with omega 3 do? I usually take the vegetarian version, which is obtained from flax seeds. It's not supposed to be as efficient as fish oil though.

Fraser_0762
02-12-12, 01:02 PM
For those of you for whom it helps:

Does it have to be fish oil or would anything with omega 3 do? I usually take the vegetarian version, which is obtained from flax seeds. It's not supposed to be as efficient as fish oil though.

I just use the ASDA ones. It says 1000mgs of Omega Fish oil.

But under it in a table it says total omega (300mgs) EPA/DHA (260mg).

So I don't know what the remaining 440mgs is?!?! :eek:

And it doesn't tell me whether it has more EPA or DHA in it. Just says 260mgs in total for both. :confused:

Lunacie
02-12-12, 06:21 PM
From what I've read, and it's been awhile, our bodies don't process the
Omega 3 in flax seed as readily as from fish oil. We don't get as much
benefit from it in that forum.

MissesS
02-12-12, 10:20 PM
I was doing some research yesterday on fish oil for children.
They said the same thing - parents can really tell when they don't take it.
I might change the dose to the morning instead. I mainly take mine and give the kids their dose in the evening.

I can relate to the calming/soothing feeling another poster mentioned. I get that too.

Also read that certain types of fish oil are better for autism than ADHD due to the omega 3 and omega 6 composition. Also read that it is preferable to take fish oil made from smaller fish as bigger fish have higher mercury levels.

purpleToes
02-13-12, 12:56 AM
For those that noticed improvement, was the improvement noticeable while taking stimulant medications?

I recently started fish oil and also restarted dexamphetamine, and wondering if I'll be able to tell if it helps unless I stop the d-amp?

Lunacie
02-13-12, 09:27 AM
I was doing some research yesterday on fish oil for children.
They said the same thing - parents can really tell when they don't take it.
I might change the dose to the morning instead. I mainly take mine and give the kids their dose in the evening.

I can relate to the calming/soothing feeling another poster mentioned. I get that too.

Also read that certain types of fish oil are better for autism than ADHD due to the omega 3 and omega 6 composition. Also read that it is preferable to take fish oil made from smaller fish as bigger fish have higher mercury levels.

Can you remember where you read that? I've been curious for some time
about whether I may have some form of Autism in addition to the ADHD
and the fish oil has certainly changed my life for the better.

For those that noticed improvement, was the improvement noticeable while taking stimulant medications?

I recently started fish oil and also restarted dexamphetamine, and wondering if I'll be able to tell if it helps unless I stop the d-amp?

I've never taken stimulant meds myself, have been taking fish oil for 9+
years.

choco222
02-13-12, 10:23 AM
I also take fish oil capsules everyday and I haven't noticed an improvement. I think it depends on the person though. Everybody is different.

Driver
02-14-12, 05:35 AM
From what I've read on Pubmed (ie the studies), it's early days and only small scale studies have been done. So far the science suggests that EPA+DHA supplementation will help some people, larger studies are necessary.

Brob2
02-14-12, 06:49 AM
I also take fish oil capsules everyday and I haven't noticed an improvement.

Here as well.

Driver
02-14-12, 08:20 AM

If I remember I'll compare them to the Swisse Krill oil tabs.

Right now I'm taking these 1500mg tabs that were $12 for 100.