View Full Version : Don't know which way like to go with treatment

happierin09
02-11-12, 09:33 PM
I haven't posted for quite a while. I really needed to back away from being on here so much because I was just so consumed with soaking in all of the info I could. I started on Strattera, which tore up my digestive system. After about 2-1/2 months on that, I changed pdocs, and changed from Strattera to Vyvanse. After 2 months on Vyvanse and feeling like my focus and concentration got worse, though I appreciated the weight loss that came with it, which was nearly 10 pounds at the time, I switched to Focalin XR. I was on that for about 2 months, but then switched to Focalin IR for about 2 months. My focus was quite a bit better with Focalin. I switched to IR to give be a bit bitter control of duration of the dose. Though my focus was better, Focalin ramped up my anxiety to the point it just wasn't worth it to me, I felt. During the first month on Focalin, I gained back the 10 pounds I lost on Vyvanse. I then switched to Adderall IR starting with 10 mg 2-3x a day, then to 12.5 mg 2-3x a day, and then one and a half 12.5 mg 2-3x a day, and most recently 20 mg 2-3x day.

I hyperfocus quite a bit it seems, but rarely on my work or things I need to focus on, usually more on a book, another forum I'm active on, facebook, pretty much anything I shouldn't be focusing on at the time. The Adderall does wake me up, give me a bit more energy, occasionally makes me feel a bit shaky and wound up. I have also lost about 15-20 pounds since being on Adderall, though I have been working out much more consistently than I had in a long time, but the decreased appetite has definitely contributed heavily. I would say right now I'm feeling mildly depressed. It seems like I get angry a lot more frequently, and feel quite selfish a lot, where I want to go do my own thing, like go work out with my friend instead of spending time with my family. I have 2 teen sons and it seems lately issues in their lives have been causing me increased anxiety and contributing to some depressive feelings. The last time I saw my pdoc, we opted for me to stay on the 20 mg 2-3x a day, which has now been for about 3 months. We discussed possible next options of Concerta or Provigil. For about 3 weeks over the 7 months I've been on Adderall I stopped taking it. Once for 2 weeks because I was recovering from some surgery. I went back on it after that because I felt like I had no focus at all, my ADD symptoms were increasing, etc. Then last month I was off of it for about a week when I neglected to get my refill, though I wouldn't say I forgot to, I just didn't do it. In that 5 or 6 days off, I gained back 6-8 pounds because all I did was eat and avoid doing the things I knew I needed to be doing, like my work, procrastinating it until I was having to work 14-16 hours a day just to get in my 8 hours of work.

I don't know what to do at this point, stay on Adderall, change to yet another med, which honestly scares me now after being on so many meds over the past few years (about 2 years on Wellbutrin, which I weaned off of when taking Focalin XR. I wonder if I should just stop the meds and clear out my system entirely. Of course gaining all the weight back when I'm finally at my goal after several years of trying to lose weight really scares me.

I welcome any suggestions or recommendations anyone has. I go to see my pdoc this next week to discuss my meds, and I want to have a good idea which direction I should go or want to go. Thank you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions! :thankyou:

sarahsweets
02-15-12, 06:48 AM
Which meds were most effective for you?

happierin09
02-15-12, 06:16 PM
Focalin was probably the best for my focus, but it ramped my anxiety up so bad, that it was either change meds or add another and I didn't want to add anything else to the mix. Adderall has been okay for the most part, and at first seemed a lot better because my anxiety had improved very quickly, but my focus for probably the last 1-2 months has been total crap. I'll probably stick with the Adderall for now, as I don't know that I want to mess with going through any more changes right now. Maybe in another month or so. I just don't know anymore. Some days I just want to stop all meds and try to go it on my own.