View Full Version : Low calorie diets and demensia.

ronball
02-12-12, 09:53 PM
I've noticed this correlation for a long time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16984624

My attention span, and memory are ALL better when I'm practically starving myself. (Those times were unintentional)

Anyone else notice a strong link in mental ability and low calorie diets?

pechemignonne
02-12-12, 10:09 PM
Starvation is very, very bad for the brain. It is bad for the mental faculties, causes confusion and memory problems, etc.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function. Intentionally giving your body less than it needs is neither good for your brain or your health.

trishcan
02-12-12, 10:26 PM
The study doesn't imply that starvation improves cognitive functioning. It really only suggests that consuming an absolutely insane amount of calories (up to 6,000 per day) is bad for your brain.

purpleToes
02-12-12, 10:53 PM
I've noticed this correlation for a long time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16984624

My attention span, and memory are ALL better when I'm practically starving myself. (Those times were unintentional)

Anyone else notice a strong link in mental ability and low calorie diets?

Not myself personally, but I was just reading a thread on here where someone did notice that they felt better when they didn't eat... The reason turned out to be gluten sensitivity -- it wasn't the lack of food, but the fact that gluten was being avoided that made them feel better. Here: (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118076)

(Thinking of trying it myself as some were saying symptoms cleared up within a few days to a week.)

bizarre101
02-12-12, 11:38 PM
When you don't eat, the body gets into an alert mode, which changes "chemical balances".

It lasts for some time, maybe even weeks (eating very very little, no supplements), but then it turns into the opposite.
You become basically brain dead, so much, that you are unable to realize it...

Food has a massive impact.... and likely the more, if there is some physical condition - e.g. something in the body what can't process food right, or that an existing imbalance is increased by (normal processing of) food...

Fuzzy12
02-13-12, 07:00 AM
I've noticed the exact opposite. I frequently fast (for 36 hours at a time) and though I feel physically all right, my concentration, attention, anything cognitive really takes a nose dive.

The brain works primarily on glucose. It's possible that a high calorie diet impairs brain function but I doubt that the reverse is true, i.e. I don't think that a low calorie diet aids brain function.

I've noticed that sometimes when I deprive my body of proper care (e.g. nutrition or sleep), I tend to hyperfocus more. I lose the ability to see the big picture but I can concentrate on ONE single task. Maybe, that's some kind of emergency response of the body: to focus its remaining, extremely limited energy on one single task. I don't think, it's sustainable long term though and I can rarely control what I'm hyperfocussing on.

stef
02-13-12, 08:07 AM
I feel brain dead if I have too much processed food (ie pacakged cookies, etc) and too much junk food - but really, I have to eat. I can't get anything done if I skip a meal for some reason.