View Full Version : Music sounds better on (prescribed dose) Focalin

KiranR
02-13-12, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Kiran and this is my first post. First off let me start by saying that I am NOT some addict nor some kid on some psychadelic focalin trip going "man this music sounds soooooooooooo much better on this dude." I am on my prescribed dose of focalin, a very low dose, even the lowest I think. And I am NOT taking more or anything like that.

So let me say, I have never been that much of a music person. From a young age I disliked piano lessons, much to the dismay of my parents. I've never really cared for music, which among friends (who are many), has/had made me feel a little awkward there. Starting Thursday or Friday of this past week (I started Focalin on... Monday I think), music started sounding much better to me than it has in the past. It was so weird. Again this is not some sort of druggy comment, it's not like some sort of hyper-sensetive to music trip or something. I never have done drugs and never will. But it's almost like not being ADD for that timeframe seems to do this. It's very interesting. Another thing is that on Focalin I seem to be a generally happier person. It's really weird. Possibly due to the amount of inspirational music, etc. I have been listening to (?).

I have been on 3 medications since late November or very early December (Being Vyvanse, Concerta, and now Focalin respectively). Focalin has had the least side effects I would say, by far. The only thing which I have noticed with this are somewhat OCD-esque traits. I don't know how much of this is just being a teen and how much of it is/could be this but they'res this girl in my class and for about 3 days now I'm always thinking about her. Literally about every 5-30 seconds. I think this is really interesting timing and again, I feel just really happy when I think about her. I've kind of just sat around for this weekend (did all of my homework Thursday and Friday in my study hall -- super productive) and thought about her. Ordered her flowers, then thought about that for a good while. Triple-checked the order went through, etc. However according to friends this is normal. But I still think a little bit of it may be medication related. But it feels good -- I feel really happy. Again that's not some sort of weird comment.

I feel like grades are coming up, I'm getting my work done, Valentine's day is coming up... It's like my life is coming back together right in front of me from Focalin. Which is remarkable. It's not like my life has/had fallen apart or anything. It's been mainly frustrations related to extremely academically expecting/demanding parents, and stuff. I've always also considered that I may be somewhat OCD. But never really looked into it like ADD. I'm sorry for the practical novel I just wrote but I felt that I should share and ask about this on this Monday morning. Have a good one!

Fuzzy12
02-13-12, 08:02 PM
Hey, glad that things are getting better for you. Thanks for sharing. :)

Fraser_0762
02-13-12, 08:15 PM
I love music, but find myself flicking through tracks all the time (unless its an extremely good album/LP).

wiffy123
02-13-12, 08:23 PM
all music sounds better on ............the d word and drink...........even elevator iev even tapped to the drill in the road when .........:cool:

icecreamfiend
02-13-12, 08:26 PM
It's great to hear you're reacting so well to Focalin. I think it's interesting you bring up numerous times that you are not some drug addict and are only taking your prescribed dose only because I felt the same way myself when I first started on medication. I experienced a lot of the same things as yourself like a general sense of well-being, and just more outgoing. I've never used drugs as well, nor am I curious, so when I started feeling these sensations I actually felt guilty. I was thinking to myself, OK, I know this stuff will help me concentrate but the other positives like emotions and being outgoing, meant that perhaps I didn't even have ADD and was feeling a "high". But I was rest assured that those feelings are all common with the drugs so that put my mind at ease.

I think it's also great it gave you a new sense of appreciation for music. I've always loved music myself and always felt such a strong emotion tied to whatever I was listening to. But as far as being on medication, it's so strange because I am more aware of what the singer is actually saying. I would never listen to the lyrics in the past and listen to the lyrics more as another "instrument" or layer, in the sea of sounds. But while on medication, I wouldn't say it detracts, nor adds to my appreciation, but it has made me aware of the lyrics much more so.

I'm currently on Concerta and that seems to be doing the trick for me. I just wish it lasted longer! I was thinking of trying Vyvanse but I keep asking myself, why mess with a good thing? I have nearly no side effects with Concerta but we'll see down the road.

Thanks for sharing!

KiranR
02-13-12, 10:17 PM
Yeah... I just don't want people to misconstrue this etc. Especially being my first post.I wanted to clarify that it's, as you put it, a new appreciation and not some sort of high or something. Just like I have been missing out on something all along. I can't vouch for the lyrics part as I have been listening mainly to instrumental music. A lot of Hans Zimmer. Lol

A question: is it normal to become somewhat physically sick over a girl? I think this may be somewhat unusual timin and thus it's hard to differentiate between effects of medication and just experiencing liking someone like this for the first time. Every time I think of her my stomach lurches. It's really crazy. It's part of the reason I haven't slept well over the past few days. At first I thought it was a side effect from this, but then I realized there was a really clear correlation. Also I am just generally worrying about stuff (specifically this, now). Almost like this is all too good and I'm in this nice bubble that's going to pop. But I feel good though. "normal", if you will.

Please don't get me wrong, I am very much, frankly, proud of my ADD. I KNOW that I have generally better ideas than my friends. I work for hours and hours and hours and I work HARD on things I find interesting, rewarding etc. But I find that if I put the effor in now, I get a lot out. I just found out I got an A, A, and B on a test and 2-part essay on a book I never read. And another perfect 100 on a test I didn't study for. It shows a ton. It's always been frustrating knowing how smart I am but how little I have been recognized for it lately. I was the one against medication in my house first which I think is kinda backwards I think. But things are really getting a lot easier.

It's great to hear you're reacting so well to Focalin. I think it's interesting you bring up numerous times that you are not some drug addict and are only taking your prescribed dose only because I felt the same way myself when I first started on medication. I experienced a lot of the same things as yourself like a general sense of well-being, and just more outgoing. I've never used drugs as well, nor am I curious, so when I started feeling these sensations I actually felt guilty. I was thinking to myself, OK, I know this stuff will help me concentrate but the other positives like emotions and being outgoing, meant that perhaps I didn't even have ADD and was feeling a "high". But I was rest assured that those feelings are all common with the drugs so that put my mind at ease.

I think it's also great it gave you a new sense of appreciation for music. I've always loved music myself and always felt such a strong emotion tied to whatever I was listening to. But as far as being on medication, it's so strange because I am more aware of what the singer is actually saying. I would never listen to the lyrics in the past and listen to the lyrics more as another "instrument" or layer, in the sea of sounds. But while on medication, I wouldn't say it detracts, nor adds to my appreciation, but it has made me aware of the lyrics much more so.

I'm currently on Concerta and that seems to be doing the trick for me. I just wish it lasted longer! I was thinking of trying Vyvanse but I keep asking myself, why mess with a good thing? I have nearly no side effects with Concerta but we'll see down the road.

Thanks for sharing!

-nyr0c-
02-15-12, 02:22 AM
I'm on Straterra, but music (especially good music) has always kinda given me a "euphoric" feeling; I don't think my meds have anything to do with how it makes me feel. I get goosebumps and feel chills everytime I listen to awesome music - I can honestly say that when I'm alone in my car and listening to my Ipod, that's when I have my most positive thoughts.

Anyway, glad to hear that you feel happier on Focalin.