View Full Version : adult adhd personality types

daveddd
02-13-12, 01:38 PM
for anyone who likes reading stuff

http://course.zjnu.cn/xinli/course/ziyuan/cklw/12.PDF

Blueranne
02-13-12, 02:52 PM
Interesting how histrionic traits were high in all four groups.

daveddd
02-13-12, 03:22 PM
yea, i wonder where that comes from

ginniebean
02-14-12, 03:54 AM
I find these figures a bit supicious. It seems to me that a lot of this could be attribution error.

Retromancer
02-14-12, 05:41 AM
Some context for this study would be nice. It has been out there on the web for over a decade now. (Used DSM III-R criteria) Has anyone with credibility commented on it?

daveddd
02-14-12, 10:32 AM
it was just something and read and i was bored so i posted it

although the reason i was looking into things like this is because i noticed a trend

every i saw a new sub type of a PD (covert narcissism , secondary psycopath) they seem to greatly resemble adhd

ginniebean
02-16-12, 01:03 AM
I'm glad you posted it, and it's interesting.. I never noticed it's ten years old.. I do wonder if people have commented upon it.. interesting indeed.

Retromancer
02-16-12, 05:20 AM
It turns out that this study is not an "orphan". It is listed on PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11020142 . Two later studies cite it, including this interesting study:

Personality traits among ADHD adults: implications of late-onset and subthreshold diagnoses.

CONCLUSIONS:
These data call into question the stringent age of onset of ADHD symptom criteria for adults when making retrospective diagnoses of ADHD. Subthreshold ADHD seems to be a milder form of the disorder that is consistent with dimensional views of the disorder.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18588742

ginniebean
02-16-12, 11:02 AM
I'm just not PD's as comorbids at this rate tho, which leads me to believe that while some responses appear PD-like they aren't true comorbid PD's. I mean, I could be wrong but...

daveddd
02-16-12, 11:08 AM
I'm just not PD's as comorbids at this rate tho, which leads me to believe that while some responses appear PD-like they aren't true comorbid PD's. I mean, I could be wrong but...

thats kinda what i meant

trait vs state

im not adhd plus _____,_____,____,_____

its more im adhd, it affects my personality like this

Blueranne
02-16-12, 11:10 AM
I remember reading the term histrionic "traits".

daveddd
02-16-12, 11:13 AM
I remember reading the term histrionic "traits".

absolutely

traits are a defense mechanism against psychic discomfort

i would be interested in why we all tend towards similar defense mechanisms

daveddd
02-16-12, 03:47 PM
absolutely

i meant traits of personality disorders

not traits in general

daveddd
02-17-12, 05:02 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=2RhHdJDO0mkC&pg=PT186&dq=adhd+and+cluster+b+personality+disorders&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zL8-T53VC7Gx0QGp9fXMBw&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=adhd%20and%20cluster%20b%20personality%20disorde rs&f=false

some more on the relationship between adhd and cluster B personality disorders

ginniebean
02-17-12, 05:22 PM
absolutely

I agree that these are defence mechanisms and my guess is that they arise in response to abuse. Now, some people have PD's due to brain damage, temporal lobe damage can cause people to lack a concsience.

but more often, I think is that PD'like traits are fostered by a hostile environment.

I'd really hate to see people with adhd tagged with more and more and more co-morbids without the researchers looking into alternative reasons for why this might be the case.

It seems great lengths are taken to not pathologise the enviornment even tho it's clear, even to researchers that there are high levels of stigma, abuse, and moralizing which would have profound effects on a growing childs personality.

TheChemicals
02-17-12, 05:24 PM
:eyebrow:

daveddd
02-17-12, 05:28 PM
I agree that these are defence mechanisms and my guess is that they arise in response to abuse. Now, some people have PD's due to brain damage, temporal lobe damage can cause people to lack a concsience.

but more often, I think is that PD'like traits are fostered by a hostile environment.

I'd really hate to see people with adhd tagged with more and more and more co-morbids without the researchers looking into alternative reasons for why this might be the case.

It seems great lengths are taken to not pathologise the enviornment even tho it's clear, even to researchers that there are high levels of stigma, abuse, and moralizing which would have profound effects on a growing childs personality.

i guess i can agree personality traits can come from a hostile environment

but i still believe there to be a neurological connection, with how the situations are handled

i also dont completely write off that these disorders can be on a spectrum with adhd, like this author states

ginniebean
02-17-12, 05:35 PM
Well, the reason I say that is that personality is aquired. It's not hard wired so much but rather more born of behavioural interaction.

I push you push back reaction elicitation.

But, I mean, it's possible that there could be some sort of neurological connection, I'm just really hesitant to consider it because it can become a chicken and the egg thing. We are aware that epiphenomenal events can trigger neurological changes.

The high rates of personality disorders in children raised in orphanages (like Romanian orphans) raises a lot of curiousity in me about just how much the comorbids or how did that one doc put it, parasitical morbidities attach themselves to a disorder via environmental treatment.

It's a can of worms one way or the other really.

daveddd
02-17-12, 05:41 PM
Well, the reason I say that is that personality is aquired. It's not hard wired so much but rather more born of behavioural interaction.

I push you push back reaction elicitation.

But, I mean, it's possible that there could be some sort of neurological connection, I'm just really hesitant to consider it because it can become a chicken and the egg thing. We are aware that epiphenomenal events can trigger neurological changes.

The high rates of personality disorders in children raised in orphanages (like Romanian orphans) raises a lot of curiousity in me about just how much the comorbids or how did that one doc put it, parasitical morbidities attach themselves to a disorder via environmental treatment.

It's a can of worms one way or the other really.

im with you, and im not sure how the actual personality symptoms come about

but if you look past the defense mechanisms and actual personality, the list of symptoms left in cluster Bs are a list of adhd symptoms

the severe type

ginniebean
02-17-12, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I noticed that and I don't much like it.

spunkysmum
02-17-12, 11:38 PM
for anyone who likes reading stuff

http://course.zjnu.cn/xinli/course/ziyuan/cklw/12.PDF

I like reading stuff, but I'd have to print that out to read it, then I'd get yelled at for wasting printer ink. LOL