View Full Version : Maryland Heights, MO

Kylersmom
10-18-04, 05:15 PM
My name is Linda, I will be 40 on Friday. My little boy is Kyler who is 6. We live in St Louis MO and Kyler has been diagnosed with severe ADHD/ODD. Any help, information, or insight is helpful!

Linda

triple*eee
10-21-04, 10:53 PM
Welcome,

And Happy Birthday Tomorrow! (Friday) You will be joining the "Elite 40 Club"

They don't just let anyone in ;)

My daugher is 8 and was diagnosed last January (7 at the time). Doctor says she's pretty severe ADD. She says she usually see's it this bad in boys.

We have her on 8 hour Ritilan, because anything longer acting causes her not to sleep. She's only lost a couple of lbs. and has retained 99% of her appetite.
Of course the 8 hour Ritilan wears off about the time she gets home so homework time is sometimes a struggle.

Just had her Parent teacher conference yesterday and the teacher says she's doing really well this year. Still is behind on her reading and has a reading tutor.

My daughter also has anxiety problems. They tend to disappear during the school year but flare up big time during the summer (I think school keeps her mind from wandering all the time) We have to be very careful what we say around her. Just saying " Here, put the bug spray on because you don't want to be bit by a misquito" Turned into her being afraid to even go outside. She wouldn't step foot outside when the sun started going down.

Thankfully, we are past that one.

What do they have your son on?

Denise

Kylersmom
10-25-04, 09:07 AM
He is on Ritilan LA twice a day, once in the morning and once in the late morning and 10mg methylpenidate in the late afternoon. We are beginnin g to think that he may be Bi-Polar and we are now looking into it. Kyler is reading at a 2nd grade level and is being considered for the Alpha program.....IF we can get his behavoror under control.

triple*eee
10-26-04, 07:57 PM
He is on Ritilan LA twice a day, once in the morning and once in the late morning and 10mg methylpenidate in the late afternoon. We are beginnin g to think that he may be Bi-Polar and we are now looking into it. Kyler is reading at a 2nd grade level and is being considered for the Alpha program.....IF we can get his behavoror under control.

My brothers 10 year old son was diagnosed ADD a couple of years ago, but he was recently put in a clinical trial because they suspected he was possibly Bi-Polar because of his severe mood swings and anger problems.

He used to get so angry and cry all the time and since he's been in the clinic trial he's has responed great to the medicine. I see a huge difference.

Unfortunalty, they don't tell them what medicine they are on during the trial and it's not one that's on the market yet.

If you think your son might be Bi-polar, it would definatly help getting him tested. I understand and know what you are going thru.

How understanding has his school been? My daughters has been very helpful but there are several on these forums under "education forum" that have a terrible time getting their schools to work out a 504 plan.

My daughter is behind on her reading skills too. She tested BR, which is pretty far below her grade level. She's improved a lot since starting medicine but still has a lot of catching up to do.
What's bad is she didn't get diagnosed until the end of 2nd grade so her teacher now (3rd ) is trying to get her caught up on all that she missed those for few years.

My daughter also has a lot of anger problems , especially when she's coming down from the medication in afternoons. Those anger outbursts are so draining on her and us.

Have you actually found a doctor to test him for Bi-Polar?

Denise

Captain Da Da
02-23-05, 07:40 PM
I also have probably had ADD my whole life and it was affecting me early on. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 17 about 11 years ago.

I took a test in fourth grade that I placed in the ninth grade reading program... the only problem was my math marks were third grade.:(

MomTo1
06-08-06, 11:07 PM
Hi my name is Caprice and I live in Mo. My son also has Adhd. He is 9 years old and was diagnosed w/Adhd @ the age of 6 years old. It took me to 3rd grade to actually start giving him the medication due to my own complex of being a "bad parent". He is now taking 36 mg of concerta. In addition, he wears 2 hearing aids due to his hearing loss. He was also diagnosed w/a speech & language delay. However, he has really overcome. I did a lot of reading & research and it has naturally paid off. Not saying we still don't face challenges. I am a real "natural & health" kind of gal. I try not to over do it. But, I want to ask all of you this, did you know that the everyday items we use such as bleach, dish washing liquid can contribute to an already agitated state that ourselves or our children face? Well, it's true! I make sure my son has healthy balanced meals, also, I have changed my household products to a "non-toxic & environmentally safe home". In addition to, my son takes these vitamins called "Vita-Bears". Please by all means look it up. They are the best of the best! I have also noticed difference in my son. I also ready in one article the the food coloring in food can contribute. (The boy love Jell-O, I absolutely couldn’t get rid of that!) I have found that there are things that we are in touch with everyday that we can change to make our children’s lives less challenging.

Thank You,<O:p</O:p

Caprice M<O:p</O:p

<ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=Woodson Terrace</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">St. Louis</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">MO</st1:State></ST1:p