View Full Version : Should you feel DOMS with every workout

getithere
02-14-12, 02:44 PM
I have ADHD and I flit between machines in the gym a lot. I was wondering if you should feel DOMS with every work out..

Fraser_0762
02-14-12, 02:51 PM
A lot of people get DOMS after a heavy work out. It can last for a few days and cause muscle pain and stiffness.

It's usually a sign that you're over doing your work outs a little. Its normal for your muscles to hurt a little after work outs, but if they're feeling stiff for days after, then you're pushing yourself too hard.

sarek
02-14-12, 02:57 PM
I had to look up what DOMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness) was first. If you're not accustomed to the kind of exercise you are doing it is pretty normal but if it keeps happening even when you regularly keep repeating your exercise regimen you might want to look into it further.

neewsmonth
02-14-12, 04:04 PM
A lot of people get DOMS after a heavy work out. It can last for a few days and cause muscle pain and stiffness.

It's usually a sign that you're over doing your work outs a little. Its normal for your muscles to hurt a little after work outs, but if they're feeling stiff for days after, then you're pushing yourself too hard.

DOMS starts at about 20-48 hrs after [EDIT: mine, it's not a rule, but a guidance] the workout, and it is necessary for it to help you grow your muscles. If you do not feel DOMS, it means you didn't start the tear and repair process, and you cannot hope for a good outcome.

As the name implies, it's a soreness, not pain or aching. If you train your muscles simmetrically ( and you should always do that, unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from doing your left arm, for example), you should feel the DOMS simmetrically. It's natural, so just drink water, eat well and wait. Do not train the muscle before it goes away - it's counterproductive - wasting your time.

If you feel a sharp, non-simmetrical pain that prevents you from movement (in a way that you really cannot, not just "oh ****, I can't feel my back today"), that might be a sign of improper training and it needs medical inspection (though usually is not mortal ;) )

The closest idea is when you do a couple of long reps (20s long), with holding the load for 2s in the hardest position, with a load that you could otherwise do about 15 quick reps with at most. It feels best on quadriceps, butt or biceps - try it and you will know what the DOMS is and what isn't. (that's not DOMS yet, but it's a similar feeling [EDIT: I just learnt this is called AMS here] :))
Try it on a machine though, it's much safer that way!

getithere
02-14-12, 04:11 PM
I had to look up what DOMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness) was first. If you're not accustomed to the kind of exercise you are doing it is pretty normal but if it keeps happening even when you regularly keep repeating your exercise regimen you might want to look into it further.

DOMS starts at about 20-48 hrs after [EDIT: mine, it's not a rule, but a guidance] the workout, and it is necessary for it to help you grow your muscles. If you do not feel DOMS, it means you didn't start the tear and repair process, and you cannot hope for a good outcome.

As the name implies, it's a soreness, not pain or aching. If you train your muscles simmetrically ( and you should always do that, unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from doing your left arm, for example), you should feel the DOMS simmetrically. It's natural, so just drink water, eat well and wait. Do not train the muscle before it goes away - it's counterproductive - wasting your time.

If you feel a sharp, non-simmetrical pain that prevents you from movement (in a way that you really cannot, not just "oh ****, I can't feel my back today"), that might be a sign of improper training and it needs medical inspection (though usually is not mortal ;) )

The closest idea is when you do a couple of long reps (20s long), with holding the load for 2s in the hardest position, with a load that you could otherwise do about 15 quick reps with at most. It feels best on quadriceps, butt or biceps - try it and you will know what the DOMS is and what isn't. (that's not DOMS yet, but it's a similar feeling [EDIT: I just learnt this is called AMS here] :))
Try it on a machine though, it's much safer that way!

But dude should you get DOMS with every workout? Is that a sign that you have worked out well?

TheChemicals
02-14-12, 05:05 PM
I have never been a Dom before but i like the idea and would try it in a heartbeat.

neewsmonth
02-14-12, 05:05 PM
But dude should you get DOMS with every workout? Is that a sign that you have worked out well?

It depends what "good workout" is. I may do endurance exercise, and feel no DOMS. I may feel DOMS in some parts of my body, and no DOMS in others, despite I tried working hard with each. DOMS is not an ultimate sign of how well you train your body.

If you want a good workout, set your priorities and ask some guys on the gym, watch youtube, and browse a little for the kind of exercise you like.

Set a routine (like 3x10 reps with 40lbs) and push it up a little bit every 2 weeks.

getithere
03-06-12, 04:23 PM
This is the 3rd workout where I have had some doms, does this mean that muscles are growing?

KronarTheBlack
03-06-12, 04:48 PM
Muscles grow when their workload is increased and the proper nutrients are consumed when they are rebuilding themselves. You can get DOMS and lose muscle if you don't eat properly.

Komod0Dragon
03-06-12, 10:46 PM
Here's something I posted in response to you. You do at least know what DOMS means and therefore should be able to ask in google "Does DOMS equal muscle growth?"

On it's own, it does not. You need protein intakes and calorie control along with finding out one of two things. Either you're working out and eating to build muscle mass or you're working out and eating to cut body fat which is simply referred to as "Cutting." Though keep in mind Cutting can also lose muscle mass since it's a calorie deficit diet.

Bodybuilding dot com/forums is a fantastic place to start. Skip that Mens Health Magazine BS and look for people who do this stuff regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getithere http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1262704#post1262704)
A couple of weeks ago I started weight lifting and got really bad DOMS. Now I changed my workout regime (basically working out only my pectorials for an hour) and now I have got DOMS again, although its not as bad as before. Have I overdone it? Is it a good sign?

I usually get DOMS at least 2 times a week when I work on my upper back and triceps / chest.

Now curiously, what benefit does working on your chest for an hour give you?

I'm in a building phase, so my focus is gaining muscle mass & shape. High amount of weights & low reps.

You mentioned chest exercises for an hour. You want a goal of 45-60min for your entire regmine otherwise the cortisol will build up and you'll just hurting yourself if it lasts longer than that.

Here's what I do, though keep in mind I've had a plateau in my program with my chest. (I'm 5' 7" @ 190lbs)

Forward Planks (Abs)
Declined Sit Ups (Abs)
Leg Raises (Abs)

Once I'm warmed up and the blood is flowing, I move to the Bench Press (BP) area.

Bench Press (No sets, reps only)
10x165
8x175
6x185
4x195
2x205

Inclined BP at 95lbs 3x8 OR Decline 135lbs 3x8 (Alternates each week)

Body Weight Chest Dips 3x8 (sometimes I have to do the assisted ones on the last set, in which I do select 100lbs)

Skull Crushers 3x8

Tricep Pulldowns 3x8

By this time my chest is out of energy and so are my triceps so I move to calves to use up any remaining stength.

Calve Extensions 3x15 @ 200lbs

More than likely this results in DOMS for me. I'm quite okay with it. The irritation only lasts 2-3 days at the most.

If all you're doing for an hour is pectorial-oriented exercises, then you're over training yourself. Measure yourself weekly. Measure your chest size, Arm Size, and Leg size (if you are working on them), and weight.

Then you'll be able to monitor your progress and see if you are getting gains or in a plateau