View Full Version : I pause a lot between lifting weights?

getithere
02-14-12, 02:49 PM
And daydream. Is this normal? Or is this ADHD playing up?x

Komod0Dragon
02-29-12, 08:47 PM

Depending on how you feel, count from 30 seconds to 90 seconds. Then get your butt back to work. Keep your mind focused. Never exceed 90 seconds.

At the gym that I'm at they have mirrors. I don't like looking at my ugly self but I have to watch my form. I have to keep my mind clear.

Basic meditation books will show or introduce ways to learn how to clear your mind, which is almost freakin impossible with ADHD-PI especially when you're in a quandary.

Fraser_0762
02-29-12, 08:49 PM
ADHD doesn't "play up" lol

Everybody day dreams from time to time, we just generally do it more often. When I used to do a bit of weight lifting, I would daydream and do reps at the same time. It actually made doing weights easier, because daydreaming would take my mind off the physical pain.

Komod0Dragon
02-29-12, 10:40 PM
Whenever I find myself day dreaming at the gym, I make myself go back to lifting weights. The only thing I should be doing and thinking is about working out and what my next set is.

There's the pain of getting that one last or two in, but beyond that you shouldn't be feeling too much pain unless you're over training.

Curiously though, when you are day dreaming and working out, does it just feel like your body is on automatic pilot?

tudorose
02-29-12, 11:10 PM

depends on the result you want.

Are you trying to build muscle or are you doing it as an all over cardio workout?

If you're not doing it as cardio it's not a problem.

CheekyMonkey
03-01-12, 12:18 AM
I take 30 seconds. Wear a watch with a seconds hand and watch it between sets to stay on task.

Fuzzy12
03-01-12, 03:11 PM
Curiously though, when you are day dreaming and working out, does it just feel like your body is on automatic pilot?

Yes, a bit but I can still feel the effort.

When I'm at the gym it's the only time I actively try to day dream (to make the work out a little bit more interesting) but it's difficult to have a pleasant day dream when I'm huffing and puffing and feel like I'm going to keel over any moment. :doh:So sometimes, I just imagine climbing a mountain or running away from something/trying to catch something. Now sure how that would work with weights though. Maybe you can imagine working on a construction site or hauling tree trunks to build a wooden house on a deserted island. :rolleyes:

I still find the gym mind boggingly boring. :confused:

Komod0Dragon
03-01-12, 05:17 PM
It took years of desensitizing how I feel about the gym. I keep convincing myself each time and not allowing a rebuttal,"Oh man I can't wait to go to the gym tonight, it's the only thing I look forward to all day!" I keep saying that every day or on off days I'll say "Man I wish I worked out tonight!"

Eventually being dedicated (which is rare for me) to something has brought me pride and inflated my ego thus raising my self-esteem. That's a win for me.

You know I don't even think about "boring" or entertainment at the gym. Now I'll certainly oogle at the women there and admire the muscle tone of the other men in the gym, but beyond that my primary focus is my next set and counting the seconds. I know I need to keep my heart rate up to keep the blood flowing and give me strength. I need to put my mind in a place of blankness or rage (depending on the mood) and use my energy or my anger to fuel me.

So no, I don't ever think about it as boring which is strange since I judge everything else I do based on how much it entertains me.