View Full Version : Things that I have noticed in my life with ADD, and the fact that parents won't help.

RobstaRob
02-15-12, 01:01 PM
So throughout the past 2 years or so I have been begining to believe I have some sort of ADD. Right now I am 18 and in college and have no motivation to do anything because the classes are so boring and I can't focus at all in them. I have literally spent all of my money on my classes and have got nothing in return but a 1.3 GPA last semester. My parents get all mad because they say you don't spend enough time studying and I keep telling them I think I have ADD and it doesn't help at all that I am not getting treated for it. They just think its some excuse and they say "Oh you don't have any trouble spending 10 hours playing video games on the computer all day" which I might have spent 6 hours or so on weekends while in college, but back In highschool I could say I played 6 hours on weekdays, 12 on weekends and would do homework last minute, but would never study, just doing enough to get by. But the last time I did play a video game was last month some time and I don't think that has anything to do with my school. I told them I was able to play 10 hours because hyper focus is part of having ADD and video games were fun to me. Thats the only reason I could play that long.

I prety much flat out told my parents that I can't concentrate on things that are boring to me no matter how hard I try because I keep getting distracted with my own thoughts. Dad responds "I probrobly have ADD too but I go to work every morning and get bills and they are boring and I still do them". So pretty much they are no help at all and I have spent all my money on college and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get my ADD treated if I have it.

I feel like I daydream too much, like I want to do something and dream about it all day but never acutally do it, starting to make me mad, even though I can't help it.

I'm really thinking about enlisting in the military for 4 years after this semester just so I will at least be making money and doing something rather than day dreaming in class and getting no where, Right now It is like I want to start my own business but I don't have any money to start it out.

Lunacie
02-15-12, 01:56 PM
I didn't go to college, but I've seen people say that they've gone to the
health clinic on campus and asked for help. I hope you'll try that before
giving up and enlisting in the military.

electric76
02-15-12, 02:43 PM
Maybe if you catch them at a more open-minded moment you could say ADD is merely a *disregulation* of attention and not about no focus whatsoever. Since you're 18, you can go to doctor yourself can't you? Maybe go to your student health center for a second opinion? At my school, they didn't prescribe adhd meds (maybe because it was too risky) but it couldn't hurt to just ask for their opinion.

quark
02-15-12, 04:15 PM
Maybe if you catch them at a more open-minded moment you could say ADD is merely a *disregulation* of attention and not about no focus whatsoever. Since you're 18, you can go to doctor yourself can't you? Maybe go to your student health center for a second opinion? At my school, they didn't prescribe adhd meds (maybe because it was too risky) but it couldn't hurt to just ask for their opinion.

Exactly. At 18 you are now in full legal command of your health care. Starting with the student health center is a good suggestion.