View Full Version : Is this a good workout regime?

getithere
02-15-12, 04:10 PM
1 hour of cardio.
15 minutes on Ab Trainer Machine.
15 Minutes on Bench Press Machine
15 Minutes devoted to two other weight lifting machines respectively?

neewsmonth
02-15-12, 05:21 PM
If you like it then it will be good.

However, cardio ex is best when you keep your pulse really high for a while, rather than just run for an hour or two at a slow pace.

And 15 minutes is not the best way to measure your outcome. Sets of reps at a specific load (3 sets, 10 reps each, 20 lbs, for example) will let you know what you can do today, next week, and 2 years from now, as you can take higher loads and adjust the number of sets/reps accordig to your goals.

It does not matter how much you lift or how long it takes for you - the only thing you need is to notice you've made progress. Be it the load, number of reps or the time you need to catch your breath back again.

good luck!

tipoo
02-15-12, 05:32 PM
Personally I'd do 15 minutes of cardio before the rest, then the remainder after. You want to warm up before weights, but not burn all your bodys rapid release energy completely.

CheekyMonkey
02-15-12, 09:06 PM
If you are interested in weightlifting make sure you are building muscle evenly, if you do bench press every time it may be overkill. I like to do back and biceps, chest and triceps, shoulders and legs. Then do abs every other time unless they are not sore. Everyone does it different, just make sure you are targeting areas evenly.

spunkysmum
02-16-12, 01:58 AM
If you like it then it will be good.

However, cardio ex is best when you keep your pulse really high for a while, rather than just run for an hour or two at a slow pace.

And 15 minutes is not the best way to measure your outcome. Sets of reps at a specific load (3 sets, 10 reps each, 20 lbs, for example) will let you know what you can do today, next week, and 2 years from now, as you can take higher loads and adjust the number of sets/reps accordig to your goals.

It does not matter how much you lift or how long it takes for you - the only thing you need is to notice you've made progress. Be it the load, number of reps or the time you need to catch your breath back again.

good luck!

I was going to say, I don't think with the weights and toning/resistance, that time is the best measurement. :)

KronarTheBlack
02-16-12, 12:13 PM
If you are trying to build muscle that workout will not get you anywhere. You need to work all the muscles in the body and that is too much cardio and weights at one time for anyone that is not a bodybuilder. You will be far too catabolic with that much exercise and you will hit a plateau fast working out the same muscles all the time. You need to mix it up with the weights and do cardio in the morning and weights in the evening.

getithere
02-23-12, 02:49 PM
Loads of reps with less weight. (On the bench press machine I can do 23 reps with a 70 weight)

Few reps with heavier weight (Again on the bench press machine I can do 8 reps of 100 weight)

KronarTheBlack
02-23-12, 03:06 PM
It depends on what you want to achieve in the gym. Give me an idea of your goals and the maximum days a week and time in the gym you want to spend, and also your age and bodytype and I can tell you the best way to do that for sure. But only bench press is not the answer. Pyramiding the weight is the best way for gaining muscle. Start with warmup of 15 reps. Then do 12 10 8 and 6 reps with 2 min rest in between.

getithere
02-23-12, 03:09 PM
It depends on what you want to achieve in the gym. Give me an idea of your goals and the maximum days a week and time in the gym you want to spend, and also your age and bodytype and I can tell you the best way to do that for sure. But only bench press is not the answer. Pyramiding the weight is the best way for gaining muscle. Start with warmup of 15 reps. Then do 12 10 8 and 6 reps with 2 min rest in between.

I just want pecs. Im 23 this April. I try doing cardio for one hour before. Im sorry but I dont know what pyramiding is? xx

Fraser_0762
02-23-12, 03:11 PM
How often do you do work outs?

I hope you don't do weight lifting on a daily basis.

KronarTheBlack
02-23-12, 03:13 PM
What good are pecs without the rest of the body in proportion? You need to take at least 3 days off in between workouts so you might as well do other bodyparts. Working our more muscle groups raises your testosterone and growth hormone naturally so if you work out your legs your pecs will get bigger because of that. Pyramiding is 15 12 10 8 6 reps starting out at 15 for a warm up then lifting weights that you can only do roughly 12 reps then add more weight after a 2 min rest and to 10 reps then 8 then 6. Working out only pecs is not the way to go though trust me. Wouldn't you rather be bigger overall than just have bigger pecs?

getithere
02-23-12, 03:17 PM

4 days a week.. For one hour after my cardio session. x

Fraser_0762
02-23-12, 03:19 PM

I would try cutting that down to 2-3 times a week. Its vital that you give yourself plenty of down time between work outs. Your muscles need time to repair the damage after each work out session, if you don't give them a chance to repair, then you'll cause more harm to yourself than good. Make sure you consume plenty of protein during down time and plenty of carbs just before each workout.

getithere
02-23-12, 03:20 PM
What good are pecs without the rest of the body in proportion? You need to take at least 3 days off in between workouts so you might as well do other bodyparts. Working our more muscle groups raises your testosterone and growth hormone naturally so if you work out your legs your pecs will get bigger because of that. Pyramiding is 15 12 10 8 6 reps starting out at 15 for a warm up then lifting weights that you can only do roughly 12 reps then add more weight after a 2 min rest and to 10 reps then 8 then 6. Working out only pecs is not the way to go though trust me. Wouldn't you rather be bigger overall than just have bigger pecs?

I try working out my abs on a machine where you push the weights forward using your trunk... But that isnt very good tbh. I dont feel any soreness...

Btw I do weightlifting 4 days a week.. For one hour after my cardio session. x

KronarTheBlack
02-23-12, 03:23 PM
Pick a workout that interests you off of http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner.html

lots of good ones.

getithere
02-23-12, 03:25 PM
Pick a workout that interests you off of http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner.html

lots of good ones.

Also I used to have a bit to much fat in my chest (if you know what I mean?).

getithere
02-23-12, 03:42 PM
Can I expect to see some reduction of my man boobs?

KronarTheBlack
02-23-12, 03:44 PM
if you have Gynecomastia then you need surgery once you have lost most of your excess fat.

KronarTheBlack
02-23-12, 03:47 PM
Gynecomastia can be lessened by diet and camouflaged by working out your chest but only surgery can get rid of it because its a fatty deposit not fat. Congenital or hereditary gynecomastia is typically evident by the ages of 12 to 18 in boys.[8] Thirty percent to sixty percent of young boys suffer from large male breasts.[8] As many as thirty percent may live with enlarged male breasts for the rest of their lives, but in other cases the gynecomastia will recede with age. However, severe forms of adolescent gynecomastia may require an intervention, in consultation with the patient, the parents, and child development professionals.

getithere
02-23-12, 03:48 PM
if you have Gynecomastia then you need surgery once you have lost most of your excess fat.

Ive already had surgery but obviously there was a limit of fat they could remove..

getithere
02-23-12, 03:49 PM
Gynecomastia can be lessened by diet and camouflaged by working out your chest but only surgery can get rid of it because its a fatty deposit not fat. Congenital or hereditary gynecomastia is typically evident by the ages of 12 to 18 in boys.[8] Thirty percent to sixty percent of young boys suffer from large male breasts.[8] As many as thirty percent may live with enlarged male breasts for the rest of their lives, but in other cases the gynecomastia will recede with age. However, severe forms of adolescent gynecomastia may require an intervention, in consultation with the patient, the parents, and child development professionals.

Ive already had surgery but obviously there was a limit of fat they could remove..

KronarTheBlack
02-23-12, 03:52 PM
Then it's all about cardio if they removed the hard deposits. That will get rid of the fat.

Brob2
02-23-12, 07:49 PM
Then it's all about cardio if they removed the hard deposits. That will get rid of the fat.

You can't target fat loss, but cardio will eventually get rid of it. Typically where you on fat first is the last to go:(

getithere
02-27-12, 02:11 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started weight lifting and got really bad DOMS. Now I changed my workout regime (basically working out only my pectorials for an hour) and now I have got DOMS again, although its not as bad as before. Have I overdone it? Is it a good sign?

Twiggy
02-27-12, 02:25 PM
Try to get really good DOMS. It makes a world of difference. ;)

getithere
02-27-12, 02:32 PM
Try to get really good DOMS. It makes a world of difference. ;)

What do you mean? xx

KronarTheBlack
02-27-12, 03:49 PM
No pain no gain. It is almost impossible to work out hard enough to do bad damage to your muscles and you can tell you have done that because you will **** out broken down muscle protein (a white solid) and sometimes it will be pink because your kidneys will get overloaded from processing the metabolic waste. DOMS just hurts and you are supposed to feel sore after working out.

getithere
02-27-12, 04:37 PM
No pain no gain. It is almost impossible to work out hard enough to do bad damage to your muscles and you can tell you have done that because you will **** out broken down muscle protein (a white solid) and sometimes it will be pink because your kidneys will get overloaded from processing the metabolic waste. DOMS just hurts and you are supposed to feel sore after working out.

Would I expect to see some reduction in man boobs in my pectorial area?:goodpost:

TheChemicals
02-27-12, 04:58 PM
meh im tricked again into coming into a thread thinking it was about something else.

getithere
02-27-12, 05:28 PM
meh im tricked again into coming into a thread thinking it was about something else.

Are you going to awnser it anyway? :scratch:

TheChemicals
02-27-12, 06:08 PM
Are you going to awnser it anyway? :scratch:

nopers

getithere
02-28-12, 01:31 PM
nopers

smh

:(

tudorose
02-28-12, 09:53 PM
no pain no gain

no brain no pain

Would help if I knew what DOMS are :D

BR549
02-28-12, 09:57 PM
no pain no gain

no brain no pain

Would help if I knew what DOMS are :D

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Or just plain soreness. Of the muscular variety. :D

You work out different sets of muscles or muscles that haven't been worked out for a bit, you're gonna be sore. You don't work out for a while you're gonna be sore. Them's just the breaks!

Sandy4957
02-28-12, 11:21 PM
Thank you, BR, for clearing up what DOMS is. Why does that even merit an acronym? Does anyone NOT get "DOMS" when they lift weights? Back when I lifted in high school, you couldn't lift your arms for two days after an arms workout.

Heavy lifting in the pecs will not reduce man boobs. In fact, heavy lifting in the pecs makes any boobs (man or woman) bigger, to a point. At some point the muscles overwhelm the boobs in the look, though that depends on the boobs...:giggle:

Komod0Dragon
02-29-12, 07:42 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started weight lifting and got really bad DOMS. Now I changed my workout regime (basically working out only my pectorials for an hour) and now I have got DOMS again, although its not as bad as before. Have I overdone it? Is it a good sign?

I usually get DOMS at least 2 times a week when I work on my upper back and triceps / chest.

Now curiously, what benefit does working on your chest for an hour give you?

I'm in a building phase, so my focus is gaining muscle mass & shape. High amount of weights & low reps.

You mentioned chest exercises for an hour. You want a goal of 45-60min for your entire regmine otherwise the cortisol will build up and you'll just hurting yourself if it lasts longer than that.

Here's what I do, though keep in mind I've had a plateau in my program with my chest. (I'm 5' 7" @ 190lbs)

Forward Planks (Abs)
Declined Sit Ups (Abs)
Leg Raises (Abs)

Once I'm warmed up and the blood is flowing, I move to the Bench Press (BP) area.

Bench Press (No sets, reps only)
10x165
8x175
6x185
4x195
2x205

Inclined BP at 95lbs 3x8 OR Decline 135lbs 3x8 (Alternates each week)

Body Weight Chest Dips 3x8 (sometimes I have to do the assisted ones on the last set, in which I do select 100lbs)

Skull Crushers 3x8

Tricep Pulldowns 3x8

By this time my chest is out of energy and so are my triceps so I move to calves to use up any remaining stength.

Calve Extensions 3x15 @ 200lbs

More than likely this results in DOMS for me. I'm quite okay with it. The irritation only lasts 2-3 days at the most.

If all you're doing for an hour is pectorial-oriented exercises, then you're over training yourself. Measure yourself weekly. Measure your chest size, Arm Size, and Leg size (if you are working on them), and weight.

Then you'll be able to monitor your progress and see if you are getting gains or in a plateau.

Komod0Dragon
02-29-12, 07:44 PM
You work out different sets of muscles or muscles that haven't been worked out for a bit, you're gonna be sore. You don't work out for a while you're gonna be sore. Them's just the breaks!

Or if you're focusing too much on one muscle group; that's over training!

Komod0Dragon
02-29-12, 07:47 PM
Would I expect to see some reduction in man boobs in my pectorial area?:goodpost:

You want to work on your overall body to reduce body fat. I work out 3 times a week and I'm still rather sizable in the midsection. Though my back, arms, and chest seem almost devoid of fat except for a layer on top that hides the muscle (but there's a reason there's different phases in training out, Building & Cutting).

Diet is extremely important too. I traded a Cup A for a flat muscular chest that I'm proud to take off my shirt.

getithere
03-27-12, 04:05 PM
I have been doing the bench press machine for while now..Dieting adequately... Have the occasional chochlate once a day..

getithere
04-04-12, 01:01 PM

I would try cutting that down to 2-3 times a week. Its vital that you give yourself plenty of down time between work outs. Your muscles need time to repair the damage after each work out session, if you don't give them a chance to repair, then you'll cause more harm to yourself than good. Make sure you consume plenty of protein during down time and plenty of carbs just before each workout.

lots of good ones.

Also I used to have a bit to much fat in my chest (if you know what I mean?).

Can I expect to see some reduction of my man boobs?

Is a bench press machine a good way to get pecs?