View Full Version : Finally, a level-headed article about ADD!

Amtram
02-16-12, 10:41 AM
From an Opinion article in Del Mar Times (http://www.delmartimes.net/2012/02/15/education-matters-adhd-going-back-centuries/), based on an interview:

David Feifel, M.D., professor in the department of psychiatry at the University of California San Diego, is an expert on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, particularly in adults, and offered insights into the phenomenon of ADHD at a recent adult lecture at UCSD titled “ADHD Across the Lifespan.”

It's brief, but covers a huge number of misconceptions, and is a wonderfully unbiased overview.

Retromancer
02-16-12, 11:17 AM
Damn why haven't I heard more of him? I did a google search and came up with this:

ADHD in Adults: The Invisible Rhinoceros (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2861517/)

In summary, ADHD is a highly prevalent condition in adults, but many psychiatrists are not yet as facile at recognizing its existence as they are at recognizing depression and anxiety. Because ADHD in an adult can frequently be a host condition for other psychiatric symptoms, such as depression and anxiety, clinicians need to develop the routine practice of screening for ADHD in all patients who present with features of anxiety and depression.

Yes! If only clinicians made a simple ADD test a part of their standard intake procedure. When I think of all of the people going through unproductive medication and therapy for literally years it makes me frankly angry. Of course it's personal for me, I had to wait until I was 36 before I found a doctor who was willing to entertain the possibility that I was ADD -- in addition to being depressed.

Check out the attached flow chart from the article. If only a copy could be given to every psychiatrist in the nation....

From an Opinion article in Del Mar Times (http://www.delmartimes.net/2012/02/15/education-matters-adhd-going-back-centuries/), based on an interview:

David Feifel, M.D., professor in the department of psychiatry at the University of California San Diego, is an expert on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, particularly in adults, and offered insights into the phenomenon of ADHD at a recent adult lecture at UCSD titled “ADHD Across the Lifespan.”

It's brief, but covers a huge number of misconceptions, and is a wonderfully unbiased overview.

plank80
02-16-12, 11:24 AM
Why does everything you read about ADHD say it's always girls that lack hyperactivity? I've seen loads of males on here say they are primarily inattentive and have no impulsively issues either.

Fraser_0762
02-16-12, 11:27 AM
Why does everything you read about ADHD say it's always girls that lack hyperactivity? I've seen loads of males on here say they are primarily inattentive and have no impulsively issues either.

THANK YOU!

I'm very PI. But I know girls that are very PH.

Infact, i know more women in this country that come across as more bubbley and hyper than men do.

Retromancer
02-16-12, 11:36 AM
Well there is a historic bias towards boys in the diagnosing of AD(H)D. Boys are more likely to act out -- but not all. The copy probably should read: "Girls [and better behaved boys] also suffer from ADHD, although they can lack the hyperactivity aspect and so are easily overlooked, he said. Teachers often don’t identify the students who are not disruptive, those who sit quietly and daydream."

By the age of 9 I was one of those "better behaved" boys. As noted I had to wait until I was 36 before I was diagnosed.

plank80
02-16-12, 11:41 AM
THANK YOU!

I'm very PI. But I know girls that are very PH.

Infact, i know more women in this country that come across as more bubbley and hyper than men do.

I always suppressed my hyperness because where I'm from males have to be men, to jump about and stuff would make you look weak and girlish and stand out as a target. Made me feel really fidgety and tightly wound but it was better than a kicking.

Was it the same for you growing up?

Fraser_0762
02-16-12, 11:47 AM
I always suppressed my hyperness because where I'm from males have to be men, to jump about and stuff would make you look weak and girlish and stand out as a target. Made me feel really fidgety and tightly wound but it was better than a kicking.

Was it the same for you growing up?

Not for me personally. I've always been a pretty quiet guy anyway. My mind goes at a 1000 miles and hour though and a 1000 different directions as well! :faint:

Saboit
02-16-12, 11:48 AM
I thank you for thee article!

Amtram
02-16-12, 12:55 PM
I was one of those hyper girls - they would never have noticed me if I hadn't been disruptive.

icecreamfiend
02-16-12, 02:01 PM
It was a nice read. I appreciate their approach to the percentages of ADHD people since it seems there are constantly numbers thrown around out there from 6-15% or more! I think that really is the only way to do it too is random selection since more affluent areas for example would be more aware of the disorder, making the condition appear skewed and an "affluent person's disorder".