View Full Version : Question for people in Australia who are on Dexamphetamine.

babidi
02-16-12, 12:41 PM
What dose are you on?

Pansie
02-16-12, 07:37 PM
I've only just started but I'm taking 10mg morning, lunch and early evening, a total of 30mg/day. I'm having to get heart tests done to make sure it's ok for me to take, so I don't know if the dose will be adjusted once my heart is tested OK.

My children take 2x10mg doses, morning and lunchtime, so I don't think I'm not taking a huge dose. I hope that's of some help to you.

MissesS
02-19-12, 06:18 AM
I'm now on 15mg I the morning and 10mg at lunch time.

It Doesn't seem to be doing much though.

Warder
02-24-12, 02:13 PM
I'm currently taking 15mg with breakfast, with lunch, then 10mg after work to help me with home life.

I have only been on that third dosage for a few days, however. Before that it was just the first two, and I was finding that my head would turn so fuzzy by the end of the day I was useless at home, which was the entire reason I started the treatment in the first place.

Since upping to the new dosage, I've barely slept. I'm now on my third night of still being up at 2am. But I expect this to go away in the next few days when my body adjusts to the new dosage. Or when I can finally go and do parkour training after work like I usually do, so I can burn off all of the excess energy. Currently only have the time/leisure to, uh, get a quick dopamine fix, before I feel tired enough to sleep.

I'm trying to research some to find out if there are alternatives for me to take, though, as yeah, some things on this are great, while others are not. And coming down off these when they run out? Sweet buggery, my head is worse than it was at it's worst without them! My main worry though is the fact that my memory is still fubared. Going to look into some therapies for it as well, but I really need to make it work, or it's all for nothing.

And I guess I should clarify on memory, my short-term is ok. Usually good, but sometimes not. I can deal with that, as it's been like that for a long time. But I have these HUGE gaps in memory from when I was younger, and that includes the majority of my education through school. Which I kinda want back.

Oh, and I am pretty sure I've taken my post on a complete tangent from where it was going originally :D

Marla911
02-25-12, 08:17 AM
my dr started me on 15mg and now im on 30 but i barely take that much because i find its too strong. i probably take about 20-25mg a day.

take_too
02-26-12, 08:45 PM
I take 5mg every two hours from the time I wake up until about 2 hours before I can stop being functional in the evening, so that works out being somewhere between 30mg - 40mg per day.

If I forget to take it on time, my brain function and emotional reactions fall apart and because by that time I'm unmedicated, my memory and reasoning is gone too, so I usually don't figure out what my problem is and sometimes I even forget that I take medication at all. So I try and use the timer function on my iPod and I try and remember to keep my iPod with me all the time. I used to use one of those kids vibrating potty watches, but it used to drive me crazy, it was so complicated and it was bright pink.

I really do handle my life a lot better with medication, especially during stressful and complicated times, but I can't say it makes me happier or 'feel' particularly good. Some people seem to be able to just take meds during the week and take the weekend off, I can't do that because then I just feel awful all weekend. It takes me about 3 - 4 days of being medication free before I start to feel ok and happy again, but less functional of course.

Medication also gives me some OCD like symptoms and it takes about 3 - 4 days of being off medication before they disappear too.

I also went off on a tangent :-)

MissesS
02-27-12, 07:00 AM
I take 5mg every two hours from the time I wake up until about 2 hours before I can stop being functional in the evening, so that works out being somewhere between 30mg - 40mg per day.

If I forget to take it on time, my brain function and emotional reactions fall apart and because by that time I'm unmedicated, my memory and reasoning is gone too, so I usually don't figure out what my problem is and sometimes I even forget that I take medication at all. So I try and use the timer function on my iPod and I try and remember to keep my iPod with me all the time. I used to use one of those kids vibrating potty watches, but it used to drive me crazy, it was so complicated and it was bright pink.

I really do handle my life a lot better with medication, especially during stressful and complicated times, but I can't say it makes me happier or 'feel' particularly good. Some people seem to be able to just take meds during the week and take the weekend off, I can't do that because then I just feel awful all weekend. It takes me about 3 - 4 days of being medication free before I start to feel ok and happy again, but less functional of course.

Medication also gives me some OCD like symptoms and it takes about 3 - 4 days of being off medication before they disappear too.

I also went off on a tangent :-)

Do you have an iPhone? There's a couple of good apps which you can program reminders for your meds. I use one called 'rxmindme' - it chimes at the time I'm supposed to take it. Added bonus is that when i hear it i know what time it is too! I would never take my meds if it weren't for this app!

Driver
02-27-12, 07:34 AM
I've basically started on dex and still finding the right dose for me. I'm on 5mg x 3 per day. I'm considering adjusting it, but thinking if I need to dose more frequently, or go to larger doses.

babidi
02-28-12, 07:14 AM
I'm currently taking 15mg with breakfast, with lunch, then 10mg after work to help me with home life.

I have only been on that third dosage for a few days, however. Before that it was just the first two, and I was finding that my head would turn so fuzzy by the end of the day I was useless at home, which was the entire reason I started the treatment in the first place.

Since upping to the new dosage, I've barely slept. I'm now on my third night of still being up at 2am. But I expect this to go away in the next few days when my body adjusts to the new dosage. Or when I can finally go and do parkour training after work like I usually do, so I can burn off all of the excess energy. Currently only have the time/leisure to, uh, get a quick dopamine fix, before I feel tired enough to sleep.

I'm trying to research some to find out if there are alternatives for me to take, though, as yeah, some things on this are great, while others are not. And coming down off these when they run out? Sweet buggery, my head is worse than it was at it's worst without them! My main worry though is the fact that my memory is still fubared. Going to look into some therapies for it as well, but I really need to make it work, or it's all for nothing.

And I guess I should clarify on memory, my short-term is ok. Usually good, but sometimes not. I can deal with that, as it's been like that for a long time. But I have these HUGE gaps in memory from when I was younger, and that includes the majority of my education through school. Which I kinda want back.

Oh, and I am pretty sure I've taken my post on a complete tangent from where it was going originally :D

So that's 40 mg total per day?

eeilyk
02-28-12, 08:49 AM
5mg x 4 per day
Going up to 10mg x 4 per day next week
Might go up, don't know at this stage, trying to find what works for me.

tudorose
02-28-12, 09:11 PM
25mg / day:

10mg @ 5:00am
5mg @ 7.30am (when I get to work)
5mg @ 12:00pm
5mg @ 3:00pm

Been on dex for nearly 12 years. When I had a different job at the start I used to take 5mg at 6am, 9am, 12pm and 3pm.

It takes a while to adjust.

Even after 12 years it's so easy to go off them and so hard to go back on them.

The end game is to create a life for myself where I don't need to take them at all.

Warder
03-11-12, 01:49 AM
babadi: Yeah, 40mg a day.

I need to bookmark this forum seperately since I have so much trouble finding it :D

Going to ask my doc when I see him next in a couple weeks to see if I can't do a trial on Ritalin, as I don't feel that I'm getting enough out of dex.

My main issue is that it gives me great control over lesser impulses, but some of my greater ones I have almost no control over. My libido is one. If I need it, I need it, and it's causing issues at home. And my anger. I've never been this angry before and it scares me. Especially mixed in with the first.

eeilyk
03-11-12, 02:09 AM
Now that i'm on 4 x 10mg per day i definitely feel it more.. See my doctor in a month to see if i need more or not.

Kelly777
01-21-13, 09:16 PM
40mg per day, every 4 hours.

07:00 = 10mg
11:00 = 10mg
15:00 = 10mg
19:00 = 10mg

It's helping a bit, especially with my behaviour (so people tell me).
I only took 5mg Sat morning and by lunchtime I was talking excessively and being quite annoying.

pacifictheme
05-18-13, 09:53 AM
I'm currently on 30mg a day but planning on upping it to 40mg as I'm finding my current dose helps me somewhat with my focus but not at all for my short term memory.

someothertime
06-07-13, 09:50 AM
I don't think it helps memory at all. Just focus. So, if your clearer when the info goes in you can make better connections / actively store it if you try. Tools and systems for the memory.

I reckon your talking more about staying on task? Right? Sequencial tasks?

This takes time, awareness, focus and tools and it's slow going but when the stars align, you do get a bit better :)

Having said that... I think that is an innate trait that a lot of us cannot change... This singularity.... We have to be very aware and creative in the ways we work around it :) or embrace it depending on the environment