View Full Version : Anyone exercise on a regular basis?

LeoJ
02-17-12, 12:10 AM
It's do damm hard ! Best way to alleviate anxiety, stimulate brain, just healthy in general.

CheekyMonkey
02-17-12, 12:15 AM
Yes. Once it is a habit, it is much easier!

gnbeg
02-17-12, 01:06 AM
I used to but it's getting harder due to my work schedule. I feel SO MUCH better when I get a good workout in. It just works out the stress and takes a little of the edge off of the zillion of things occupying my mind.

Fuzzy12
02-18-12, 09:21 AM
I should but rarely do. On the rare occasion when I manage to drag myself to the gym, I feel sooooo much better!!

daveddd
02-18-12, 09:23 AM
Yes. Once it is a habit, it is much easier!

i agree with this

i run 3-4 miles everyday, because i enjoy it

but i cant get myself to go to the gym on a regular basis

TagEHeuer
02-18-12, 11:34 AM
I try to run for 30 minutes a day, but I get bored so easily!

wiffy123
02-18-12, 02:59 PM
yep as fit as a robbers dog me cycle 5 miles aday taking my girl to school. hope thats on topic as got slateing from big brother about posts.oopps of topic.

CheekyMonkey
02-18-12, 05:59 PM
I highly recommend circuit training. You keep moving, doing something different every 5-10 minutes. You only really need a half hour to get a good workout as well. Awesome for and ADHD'er.

TheChemicals
02-18-12, 10:11 PM
Exercise is okay if you have nothing else going on and you are in bad shape. I have been exercising all my life and i guess its "alright" but way overhyped.

CheekyMonkey
02-18-12, 11:18 PM
Exercise is okay if you have nothing else going on and you are in bad shape. I have been exercising all my life and i guess its "alright" but way overhyped.

How is it overhyped? It keeps your heart healthy, and your muscles and bones strong. It also keeps your brain smart ;)

TheChemicals
02-19-12, 06:25 PM
How is it overhyped? It keeps your heart healthy, and your muscles and bones strong. It also keeps your brain smart ;)

Yeh it can also cause permanent bone injuries to the shoulder,knees,neck and back.

You can get plantar fascitis, you can collapse, trigger or create a murmur, etc.

Exercise is overhyped.I am not saying its bad...just not the answer to the problems people on this forum have. My opinion.

CheekyMonkey
02-19-12, 06:32 PM
Yeh it can also cause permanent bone injuries to the shoulder,knees,neck and back.

You can get plantar fascitis, you can collapse, trigger or create a murmur, etc.

Exercise is overhyped.I am not saying its bad...just not the answer to the problems people on this forum have. My opinion.

You are referring to over-exercising. You don't need to work out to the point of injury to be healthy. Even walking 30 minutes a day is helpful to your mind and body.

tortilaman
02-20-12, 12:01 AM
I find that team sports and things like that are good. Going to a gym with a buddy is good as well. I played a lot of Hockey when I was a teenager, lately I have gotten less exercise because of school, but I'm trying to work anything ok.

diagonally
02-21-12, 12:40 AM
I have to exercise every day or I am like a hamster without a wheel. Maybe that's just me. But I only do exercise that I really love. I take a rigorous dance class 5 days a week, walk my dog in the hills for an hour and a half every day, and sometimes go to the gym for 30 minutes on the elliptical machine.

Komod0Dragon
02-29-12, 08:25 PM
It's do damm hard ! Best way to alleviate anxiety, stimulate brain, just healthy in general.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: General Abs, Squats, Rows, Pullups, Chin Ups, Shoulder Shrugs, Military Press
- Focus is on Upper Back / Shoulders with a minor in Abdominals

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: General Abs, Bench Press, Incilne/Decline Press, Chest Dips, Tricep Pulldowns, Skull Crushers, Tricep Dips, Calve Raises
- Focus is on Chest, Triceps, and Calves

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 45 degree bend, Side Twists, Stiff Legged Dead Lifts, Hamstring Extensions, Concentrated Bicep Curls, Barbell Curls, Preacher Curls, Hammer Curls
- Focus is on Obliques, Biceps, & General Legs

It only takes 60 minutes or less for all of this to happen. I've been doing it for so long now that I look forward to it. I think Feburary is my 7th month of working out consistently. And the last 2 months have been 3 days a week. Before that it was 2 times a week.

You know how I keep going? I bring someone else with me every time. They expect to go and I don't like letting people down unless it's me. So I'm obligated to go.

cyonce
03-26-12, 03:36 PM
It really helps to find a form of exercise you actually enjoy.

For example, I hate cardio machines such as treadmills, ellipticals, stair machines. I've never been able to use those consistently.

However I love dancing and go out regularly so I get my cardio from that. Before dancing I used to be an avid rollerblader which provided plenty of cardio.

I personally enjoy old-school weight lifting for resistance training so as long as I'm not in some kind of a funk that's not too difficult for me to motivate for.

I know that many other people find it easier to do group resistance training activities like crossfit or pilates where you're more often working with another person or a group. That's not to say that conventional weight lifting has to be done alone but the structure of the other two usually involve a group setting.

spunkysmum
03-26-12, 03:46 PM
Not anymore, though I used to. When I did, I didn't find it hard, curiously. I enjoyed it and found it easy to make myself do it. But meds had very, very much to do with that. Adderall eliminated most of the barriers for me by allowing me to keep at it for a long time without getting bored, boosting my energy and metabolism and stamina.

spunkysmum
03-26-12, 04:07 PM
I know that many other people find it easier to do group resistance training activities like crossfit or pilates where you're more often working with another person or a group.

I am so not that way. I find it far easier (and more enjoyable and desirable) to work out alone, and have never really been interested even in having a workout "buddy." I have challenge enough to get my own act together without having to worry about coordinating it with somebody else's. If I can't work out one day I've disappointed nobody but myself. And when I'm really in the zone with regular workouts, I have no need at all for external motivation from another person. The last time I remember walking with another person, I was in better shape than she was at the time and found myself waiting at the top of hills while she huffed and puffed along behind. It made me feel bad for her and I didn't feel as if I had gotten a real workout myself because I felt I had to hold back to let her catch up.

The one exception to this is that I've always wondered if having a dog to walk would help keep me accountable to exercise regularly.

cyonce
03-29-12, 03:19 PM
I am so not that way. I find it far easier (and more enjoyable and desirable) to work out alone. . . .

Definitely, I feel the same, even just having too many other people around can be distracting. A cooperative setting does help some people stay focused and motivate though.