View Full Version : Need ADD / ADHD Doctor in Houston

maw0509
10-19-04, 09:08 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just moved to Houston about 8 weeks ago and I'm looking for a good doctor here who can help me w/ my ADD and can also prescribe my medications. I'm hoping to find a doctor that isn't to terribly far from my work or home (work downtown, live "inside the loop"). Any suggestions?

smooch
12-03-04, 12:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

I just moved to Houston about 8 weeks ago and I'm looking for a good doctor here who can help me w/ my ADD and can also prescribe my medications. I'm hoping to find a doctor that isn't to terribly far from my work or home (work downtown, live "inside the loop"). Any suggestions?

My doctor is up I-45 just barely into The Woodlands, off Rayford/Sawdust. I used to work downtown, and it's about a 30 minute drive.

Please let me know if you'd like his contact info.

:D
smooch

maewest
12-17-04, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, I can't help you find a good doctor in Houston but I can suggest that you stay away from The Clinic for Adult Attention Problems. A.Timothy Butcher is the psych(-o :eek: ) there. I think his own problems (e.g., speaking first and maybe thinking later, forgetfulness, disorganization, rigid thinking, etc.) create a very unhealthy and unhelpful treatment environment. In addition, his treatment "plan" - advertised as individualized - appears to be the same for everyone: buy a huge and expensive Franklin Covey planner, carry it everywhere, be value-centered and goal oriented. Personally, I can't see paying for a psychologist and getting an incompetent coach.

f_wcomboadhd
12-17-04, 04:04 PM
i work inside the loop (river oaks area) and my psychiatrist is very near where i work. if you would like to p.m. me i could give you her info etc. i have an excellent therapist but he's way out west where i live, off of i-10 near grand parkway...so probably way too far for you to travel (although i commute from the west to inside loop myself five times a week :) )

f_wcomboadhd
12-17-04, 04:06 PM
geez maewest, that guy sounds like a total dolt and a jerk..good preventative advice!

lorpen
01-05-05, 01:10 PM
Hello,I am brand new to this forum and just found it about 10 minutes ago. Hopefully, someone can help. I live in Houston - on the West side of town. I-10 and Dairy Ashford. I am looking for a doctor to take my 19 year old son to to have tested for ADD. I've suspected ADD before, but now that he is in college the stakes are very high and I want to help him in any way possible. It doesn't matter where in Houston a doctor is - I don't mind traveling. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a therapist or a medical doctor. Any advise would be welcomed. Thank you!

David
02-01-05, 03:56 AM
My doctor is up I-45 just barely into The Woodlands, off Rayford/Sawdust. I used to work downtown, and it's about a 30 minute drive.

Please let me know if you'd like his contact info.

:D
smooch
I live off Rayford/Sawdust and would love to know who you are using. Mine is right off I-45 & 1960 now but he is just a script pusher.. At least that is what I get... Mabye I've never shown signs of needing more? Could be me..

Taisa
06-17-09, 08:59 PM
Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but I'm basically looking for the same thing as the OP:

- Doctor of internal medicine
- Male
- Houston (inside or near the inner loop)
- Willing to prescribe ADD medications

Any recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated. My employer currently drives an hour and a half to see his doctor and would like to find someone a little closer to home.

Vorona
08-28-09, 02:59 AM
Hey Taisa,

I'm also new to this forum. Wondered if you had luck finding a good therapist. Thanks in advance!

Taisa
12-22-09, 06:18 PM
My ADDer had a good experience with Dr. Barry Gritz this month (December 2009) in getting the evaluation he needed in order to continue his prescriptions with a new family doctor. Dr. Gritz was able to see him sooner than other psychiatrists in town by having nurse practitioners conduct the evaluation and then going over the results himself. He has several glowing reviews online, including reviews from other ADDers.

Once you've been formally diagnosed, then there are a handful of internists and family doctors in the Houston area who will prescribe your medications, so you only need to see the psychiatrist once every few years instead of every few months. My ADDer has not been happy with Dr. Stuart Shapiro, who has repeatedly forgotten to phone in prescriptions, so he is about to go see Dr. Kenneth Kennedy.

If anyone has found a good family doctor who prescribes ADD medications with a psychiatrist evaluation, as close to the downtown/midtown area as possible, please advise. We're hoping Dr. Kennedy will be "the one," because we've had very professional dealings with his staff so far, but I like to have a Plan B...

Loyola
01-07-10, 09:56 PM
Hello:

I am new to this forum. I too am looking for a doctor/therapist. I live at I45 & the Hardy Toll Road.

Smooch: would you send me your docs contact information?

Ozymandias
02-09-10, 05:14 PM
My ADDer had a good experience with Dr. Barry Gritz this month (December 2009) in getting the evaluation he needed in order to continue his prescriptions with a new family doctor. Dr. Gritz was able to see him sooner than other psychiatrists in town by having nurse practitioners conduct the evaluation and then going over the results himself. He has several glowing reviews online, including reviews from other ADDers.

I can vouch +1 for Dr. Barry Gritz and his Nurse Practitioner Christine Wysong. They didn't do my Diagnosis, but I did see them for my first Psyc. appt. If first impressions mean anything (I have had only one appointment so far, and a followup next week) these guys rock. In terms of being purely themselves, Dr. barry Gritz and Christine have got to be the most UNCONVENTIONAL doctors in Houston, and this is very much in a good way. Their office is unorthodox, their dress is unorthodox, and they are solidly awesome. If you want some stuffy doctor in a starched white jacket in a bland sterile office, steer clear. If you want a knowledgeable doctor in an unconventional office setting, these are your folks.

smooch
02-26-10, 07:10 PM
Holy cr*a*p people. I haven't been on these forums since Sept '08, according to the top of my screen! Could've sworn I was on it last year. Big suprise--ADDers have a notoriously poor sense of time. EEEK!! Just saw all the PMs I've gotten and these follow up posts asking about my doc! My *sincere* apologies folks!

I do have a lot to say about this topic. Gonna be writing it in my mind, then will post later this evening or tomorrow. Probably a day late and a dollar short, I know, but maybe folks have subscribed to this thread.... Will also reply to PMs later this evening....

smooch
03-03-10, 07:16 PM
Ok, yeah, I know this is a few days late. Overwhelming weekend and whatnot--last semester of graduate school. I did have a lot to say on this topic, but it boils down to this: I'm not sure anymore that this doc is a great choice to diagnose/manage ADHD meds for new patients. No drama involved--still going to him for my Rx. He's been my doc since 2002, and he's helped me through some really funky times. He's very compassionate.

However, the wait time has become ridiculous unless you're 1st, 2nd, or 3rd appt of the day. I've web-searched his name, and there are some doc reviews out there that give him well-deserved glowing reviews. There are also reviews out there that are pretty negative. I do not really share the negative sentiments, but the negative reviews are based in truth and are valid. Again, they're not deal breakers for me, but I have an established doc-patient relationship with him. I'm guessing they'd be deal breakers for new folks.

I'm still happy to give out contact info, because each person's experience will be different. However, y'all have been cautioned in advance.

Cheers!
smooch

tigert
06-24-10, 01:55 PM
Edmundson at Memorial Neurological is OK.. He only requires 1 office visit per year whereas many others require office visit every 3 months.

He gets bad reviews on some internet sites and I can see why some people might not like him as he can be very direct and is a 'by the book' kind of guy but I have been going to him for a number of years and found him to be reasonable and generally willing to let me try different meds/dosages to find what works best.

Vannabanana
05-01-12, 11:41 AM
I was able to get a same day appointment as a new patient to see D. Flemming at the Neurological Associates in Houston. So far, so good.

network192
05-03-12, 06:19 PM
I was able to get a same day appointment as a new patient to see D. Flemming at the Neurological Associates in Houston. So far, so good.

Hey I am new here and I wanted to see if you coud give us an update on how it went. Also a breakdown of what you paid would be convenient.

I can not charge it to my insurance so any recommendations?

Ksswig11
04-03-13, 10:07 AM
Need recommendation for a good Adult Adhd therapist in the Houston area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

kdisakilla31
08-31-13, 06:26 PM
I know this is a little late but if anybody can help me, or if smooch or david can just help me to find a doctor that will prescribe me adderall that would be great thanks guys

virkilr
11-14-14, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone, now I am reviving an old thread, though I am looking for a psychologist and not an M.D. for counseling. I'm in my 40s and was diagnosed with ADD when I was 21. I'm having some issues most of which likely stem from the ADD and have never really found anyone who could help me. Any referrals are appreciated and I won't hold you to them.. Thanks