View Full Version : Any antipsychotics mix better with stimulants than Risperdal?

MismedicatdMess
02-18-12, 08:37 AM
I restarted Ritalin therapy 2 months ago except... Ive solidified that risperdal even at low dose, absolutely destroys Ritalin's efficacy. It doesnt even have a chance. I come to find this is due to Risperdal's powerful antidopaminergic properties and Risperdal is very powerful in this aspect, so I'm a zombie and about to get much better help as medicaid begins any day now.

What other atypicals might be better for this to handle delusions, visual hallucinations and severe paranoia (not worsened by ritalin) that have plagued me for 4 years

-Bipolar 1 manic depressive with psychosis
-Aspergers
-Adhd

-possible schizophrenia, diagnostics still in progress.

sarahsweets
02-18-12, 08:51 AM
I am BPII and have had great success with geodon. It has prevented any weight gain that some antipsychotics can give. It can be mildly sedating so I take it at night.

CheekyMonkey
02-18-12, 06:04 PM
My husband takes abilify as part of his med cocktail. It doesn't mess with his vyvanse.

buddy
02-18-12, 06:17 PM
I take Abilify along with Paxil & Dexedrine.This combination of meds. works very well for me.

known_guy
02-19-12, 12:04 AM
I take Abilify along with Paxil & Dexedrine.This combination of meds. works very well for me.

:D I was going to recommend looking into Abilify. It has a unique mechanism of action that is unlike that of other atypical antipsychotics. I think of it as the atypical atypical antipsychotic.

Blueranne
02-19-12, 12:14 AM
Stimulants are a horrible idea for a person with bipolar 1 and psychotic features! I would not trust any doctor who suggests the combination is fine. Are you on a mood stabilizer and antipsychotic?

Michiko74
03-14-12, 11:02 AM
My husband takes abilify as part of his med cocktail. It doesn't mess with his vyvanse.

This is what I take. Before that, I used to take dexedrine with strattera.

Abi
03-14-12, 11:05 AM
Geodon and Abilify seem to be the most popular choices.

Caliberzzz
03-22-12, 09:42 AM
I'm on 6mg of Risperdal. So would the therapeutic benefits of any stimulant be blocked by the Risperdal?

AddYourAll
04-21-12, 11:28 AM
get off the geodon, unless one hallucinates, delusions, is/or paranoid...if it needs to be taken, great, but look into haladol(sp).... it's sad but if you tell a stranger you forgot your geodon?! it carries a huge stigma and trails around on your records like the plague. im a cyber-stranger who has takin these meds and they made me waaaaay worsee.g. tremors, out of body experiences, ****** up stuff, they made me really believe something was wrong with me, but dont come off these cold turkey (especially geodon), disclaimer-I'm not a your dr and keep taking medication as prescribed im speaking solely from my experience

alliekittie
06-23-12, 02:33 PM
i have been taking 40 mg of adderall xr and 2 nights ago, I took some risperdal. I slept for about 13 hours last night and took 40 mgs of adderall today and still feel the effects of the risperdal and can hardly feel my adderall today. I feel like a ZOMBIE! My head is really foggy and I am at work. I still want to smoke like a freight train though. I have a hard time lauging and finding any humor in anything...I feel NUMB! I feel SO out of touch with reality. I just started taking the adderall this past Monday. I took it Mon-Thurs and pretty much got NO sleep all week. I took a break from it yesterday (friday) and felt very groggy all day from the risperdal. I figured after 13 hours of sleep, I should be ready to take some more adderall xr but that was obviously NOT the case. I'm wondering if the risperdal is still in my system (it HAS to be) Somebody help me...please.

PQLICE
01-24-13, 05:12 PM
Risperidone is a very powerful drug that lasts 20 hours (Half Life) in the human body.

tambourine-man
03-04-13, 01:53 PM
I take Seroquel IR only in the evening and it makes my stimulants stronger by resensitizing my dopamine receptors. If I take it during the day it kills the stimulants.

deadmau5
03-04-13, 02:15 PM
Abilify is a solid choice

Shabazz
03-06-13, 05:56 PM
I take Seroquel IR only in the evening and it makes my stimulants stronger by resensitizing my dopamine receptors. If I take it during the day it kills the stimulants.

Seroquel making stims stronger? Fascinating. I've not heard this before. Can you explain how this works?

Are you having any problems with drowsiness on 400mg seroquel? This stuff is sedating.

tambourine-man
03-07-13, 07:50 AM
Seroquel making stims stronger? Fascinating. I've not heard this before. Can you explain how this works?

Are you having any problems with drowsiness on 400mg seroquel? This stuff is sedating.

It's actually surprising that so few people have caught onto this little trick. Antipsychotic drugs like Seroquel work, in part, by blocking the production and transportation of dopamine at key receptor sites. Seroquel IR has a 6 hour half life. I take it at night and it guarantees a deep sleep, while stopping up dopamine receptors and in so doing, refreshing them.

See, as long as steady amounts of dopamine are being released due to the presence of amphetamine, your brain will be fighting for homeostasis. This will result in tolerance. Seroquel cuts off this dopamine stream... and as they say, "Absence makes the mind go..." Wait... oops. You get my point! : 0

Shabazz
03-07-13, 11:23 AM
It's actually surprising that so few people have caught onto this little trick. Antipsychotic drugs like Seroquel work, in part, by blocking the production and transportation of dopamine at key receptor sites. Seroquel IR has a 6 hour half life. I take it at night and it guarantees a deep sleep, while stopping up dopamine receptors and in so doing, refreshing them.

See, as long as steady amounts of dopamine are being released due to the presence of amphetamine, your brain will be fighting for homeostasis. This will result in tolerance. Seroquel cuts off this dopamine stream... and as they say, "Absence makes the mind go..." Wait... oops. You get my point! : 0

Yes, this makes sense. But I would think the only AAP's that would work this way are those with short half-lives ... like seroquel or Geodon. Otherwise you're antagonizing dopamine continuously, which would conflict with stimulants & make things much worse.

Seroquel is interesting because I don't think it starts to antagonize dopamine until roughly 300mg. So it's probably one of the better AAP's if you can overcome the sedation.

Do you mind if I ask what you're taking seroquel for? Have you ever tried seroquel xr?

tambourine-man
03-07-13, 11:45 PM
Yes, this makes sense. But I would think the only AAP's that would work this way are those with short half-lives ... like seroquel or Geodon. Otherwise you're antagonizing dopamine continuously, which would conflict with stimulants & make things much worse.

Seroquel is interesting because I don't think it starts to antagonize dopamine until roughly 300mg. So it's probably one of the better AAP's if you can overcome the sedation.

Do you mind if I ask what you're taking seroquel for? Have you ever tried seroquel xr?

Seroquel XR would defeat the purpose as the Dexedrine is more important. To be honest I don't know why I'm taking the Seroquel. I'm autistic and in theory Seroquel reduces meltdowns and anxiety but with a 6 hour half life I often wonder if it could possibly be effective during the day when I take my dose before bed.

Anyway, it's the only thing that guarantees I sleep every night. Also, I really do think it keeps the Dexedrine fresh. I doubt these are reasons to continue taking it but that brings me to the primary reason I keep on using it; withdrawals are AGONIZING!

Shabazz
03-08-13, 04:50 PM
Seroquel XR would defeat the purpose as the Dexedrine is more important. To be honest I don't know why I'm taking the Seroquel. I'm autistic and in theory Seroquel reduces meltdowns and anxiety but with a 6 hour half life I often wonder if it could possibly be effective during the day when I take my dose before bed.

Anyway, it's the only thing that guarantees I sleep every night. Also, I really do think it keeps the Dexedrine fresh. I doubt these are reasons to continue taking it but that brings me to the primary reason I keep on using it; withdrawals are AGONIZING!

I see you lowered your dose to 200mg. At that dose it doesn't really act on dopamine ... mostly just serotonin, histamine & a little norepinephrine. You could take either ir or xr and it wouldn't matter.

Could you elaborate on these withdrawals? Do you think seroquel helps at all with depression?