View Full Version : Are the benefits for taking mega doses of Vitamin C and fish oil?

getithere
02-18-12, 12:13 PM
Thanks

Fraser_0762
02-18-12, 12:18 PM
Mega doses of anything is never a good idea.

I used to take stupid amounts of vitamin c on a daily basis (over 10000mgs). Apart from giving me too much energy, it also gave me an upset stomach and the runs.

I would say that sticking to the RDA would be the sensible thing to do.

plank80
02-18-12, 12:45 PM
Don't take mega doses of vitamin C unless you wana s*** your insides out. Don't know about fish oil but I'm sure it couldn't do any better than taking the RDA.

Lunacie
02-18-12, 01:32 PM
Mega doses of Omega 3 are a blood thinner. Not a good thing.

tdsb12
02-18-12, 01:55 PM
Does recommended doses of fish oil help? I was reading about it in Delivered From Distraction and although I am not ADD I am thinking of taking it. Heard about the benefits of Omega 3 so many times but just never took supplements (I think I tried fish oil from bottle once with a spoon and I didn't like the taste so never tried the pill form)

Fraser_0762
02-18-12, 01:57 PM
Does recommended doses of fish oil help? I was reading about it in Delivered From Distraction and although I am not ADD I am thinking of taking it. Heard about the benefits of Omega 3 so many times but just never took supplements (I think I tried fish oil from bottle once with a spoon and I didn't like the taste so never tried the pill form)

The bottled stuff is rank.

You can't taste the capsule version though. It's just the fishoil in a thin plastic like coating.

getithere
02-18-12, 02:00 PM
The bottled stuff is rank.

You can't taste the capsule version though. It's just the fishoil in a thin plastic like coating.

Apparently It has great benefits to be honest.

Fraser_0762
02-18-12, 02:26 PM
Apparently It has great benefits to be honest.

I'm not denying that it does.

But going beyond the RDA is never recommended.

Lunacie
02-18-12, 04:02 PM

There are claims that it promotes heart health, and some people say it helps
balance their moods. It's only a small number who find it helps with focus
and concentration, but when it does work, it works great.

Dizfriz
02-18-12, 06:03 PM
I am not ADHD and take fish oil as prevention measures for heart issues (I don't have any and would like to keep it that way).

There is a good bit of research supporting this use. I take and my physician recommends 3000 mg per day.

I get mine from Sam's club but there are many other sources. They are a little hard to swallow but I take them with milk and have had no problems nor do I get any aftertaste.

There is some good research indicating some potential benefits for ADHD. It is not conclusive enough to be considered a validated therapy but many here report good results. Be aware some report seeing no benefit.

Overall, it seems to have a good potential and not many drawbacks. Your call.

I haven't seen anything about Vitamin C having any effects on ADHD.

Along with the others, I would also suggest caution for megadoses of anything. Remember when you use alternative treatments such as this, you are medicating; make no mistake about it so take the same due caution you would take when taking medication.

Dizfriz

fracturedstory
02-18-12, 08:24 PM
Moderation is always key. Like massive amounts of daily exercise won't make you lose any more weight in a week than exercising for an hour would, massive amounts of vitamins won't be able to speed up any attentiveness process.

If I take two 1000mg fish oil capsules my attentiveness will turn to hyperactivity, so I only take one at a certain time. And maybe one in the afternoon. Actually once I took two at once and I had breathing problems.

I'm allergic to Vitamin C or have an adverse reaction to even the recommended daily amount, so I only have small trace amounts of it.

So, I recommend taking a sing capsule or vitamin or both omega 3 and Vitamin C, or better yet get it naturally from food. When I eat fish I get a larger amount of omega 3 and it does make me a bit hyper but not uncontrollably so.

Even drinking massive amounts of water can kill a person so moderation is always key.

SweetCode
02-18-12, 08:28 PM
Megadoses of anything is never a good idea , the only case when you should take a megadose of something is with really close medical supervision and by medical indication. some really innocent stuff can kill you with even a slightly higher dose.

Also the higher the dose the more body dependent the medication reacts , which means that it can kill someone and do no harm to other. just look at drug abuse , usually drug abuse is nothing but higher doses of medications and while one dose of cocaine can kill someone, it can do almost no effect in someone else.

--EDIT--
also I am not completly sure but I remember that I read somewhere that taking ultra high doses of one vitamin makes harder to your body to absorb other vitamins.

Fraser_0762
02-18-12, 08:36 PM
--EDIT--
also I am not completly sure but I remember that I read somewhere that taking ultra high doses of one vitamin makes harder to your body to absorb other vitamins.

You're quite right.

If you consume too much b6 or b12, it can cancel out its counterpart which can be quite dangerious.