View Full Version : Never remember any dreams...

markadd
02-18-12, 12:27 PM
Is this because of my ADHD causing me not to remember or because im not hitting REM sleep? I only have maybe one dream a month if that and its only maybe a couple of seconds... not enough to even describe it.

Also having trouble finding meds and doses for ADHD that really help my focus(can't stop daydreaming and zoning out). Starting to question if maybe my sleep has something to do with it.

The thing is I have a good sleep schedule and get enough sleep. I lay down and in ten minutes im asleep and next thing I know my alarm is going off and its time to get up... but never remember any dreams. What does this mean? I have a hard time getting up and my brain fog the first hour is so bad its impossible to do anything. I get up an hour before work and am almost late every day even if I shower the night before.

What do you guys think? For you guys that tried supplements did your remembering dreams improve? If so which ones?

Im going to make an appointment for a sleep study I think... thing is I do sleep just don't know how well or deep.

Fraser_0762
02-18-12, 12:45 PM
Its said that people who dream more generally reach a deeper level of sleep.

I rarely have dreams myself. And even after sleeping for 8 hours undisturbed, I still don't feel like i've slept that well.

caylyn
02-18-12, 01:27 PM
In the past, I very seldom ever remembered my dreams. But, I recently realized that when taking ADHD meds, I tend to remember dreams 2 or 3 nights a week. That is a big deal to me.

Fuzzy12
02-18-12, 01:27 PM
I don't think it's that unusual. I know a lot of people who say they don't remember their dreams. If you don't get enough rest though or have excessive problems waking up it might be good to get checked.

Its said that people who dream more generally reach a deeper level of sleep.

I always thought it was the other way round but I could be wrong.

I remember too many of my dreams. Vividly. Unfortunately. My subconscious mind (or wherever dreams arise) doesn't seem to be a lot healthier than my conscious one. :confused:

SweetCode
02-18-12, 08:10 PM
Before I started my meds I rarely had dreams which I remembered , and when I remembered they were usually nightmares , now I remember my dreams much more. to give you some number I would say that before meds I remembered around 5% of my dreams and after meds I would say something around 50% , curiously It's much harder to me to get to sleep now but I sleep longer than before.

TheChemicals
02-18-12, 10:04 PM
i cant remember my dreams anymore either. Not because of meds, just that after 31 years of age, i slowly stopped recalling them. Its very sad thing, but meh, cant have it all.

MissesS
02-19-12, 05:38 AM
I used to always remember my dreams as a child. And I recognized those that were recurring. I have not been able to remember my dreams in the last couple of years. But I think that was because I haven't been able to sleep through the night.

I also dream in colour. I remember reading about people who dream in black & white. I thought this was bizzare - always assumed everyone dreamt in colour!

Fraser_0762
02-19-12, 05:52 AM
I always wondered what blind people dreamt of....

msmedieval
02-19-12, 06:52 AM
I used to remember my dreams very well but in the last few years it's like I don't have any at all. Doesn't matter how long I sleep either. Not that I feel rested when I wake up anyways.

Funny enough, a couple of years ago I read an article that had instructions on how to remember your dreams. Main one was writing the dream down the moment you wake up. It actually worked till I my ADD kicked in & I got lazy about it. Try it if you want.

Fraser_0762
02-19-12, 08:26 AM
I used to remember my dreams very well but in the last few years it's like I don't have any at all. Doesn't matter how long I sleep either. Not that I feel rested when I wake up anyways.

Funny enough, a couple of years ago I read an article that had instructions on how to remember your dreams. Main one was writing the dream down the moment you wake up. It actually worked till I my ADD kicked in & I got lazy about it. Try it if you want.

Your ADD kicked in? :confused:

known_guy
02-19-12, 11:47 AM
Interesting. I've had vivid dreams for as long as I can remember, and I have at least one dream on most nights. [Other than when I experience severe insomnia due to depression.] I remember a good percentage of them too.

Admittedly I think the addition of Remeron to my medication regimen "boosted" the vividity of my dreams and/or upped the frequency. But it's great - I love sleeping, I love dreaming.

Kaimei
02-19-12, 11:58 AM
Unless you've damaged your parietal lobes - ie a stroke, head trauma, etc - you're dreaming and just not remembering it.

I used to have extremely amazing, vivid dreams and remembered them in great detail. Sadly, that stopped about 18 months ago - approximately six months before I had a total breakdown. I wasn't on any medications that might account for it. I keep hoping that it will start again, because I miss then.

markadd
02-19-12, 07:46 PM
I used to always remember my dreams as a child. And I recognized those that were recurring. I have not been able to remember my dreams in the last couple of years. But I think that was because I haven't been able to sleep through the night.

I also dream in colour. I remember reading about people who dream in black & white. I thought this was bizzare - always assumed everyone dreamt in colour!
Don't remember my dreams enough to know if I dream in black in white or not.:( On that same note I heard or read somewhere we can't read in our dreams either... the part of our brain that's responsible for that doesn't function when we're asleep... weird.

I always wondered what blind people dreamt of....
That is an interesting thought... there are more senses than just sight though. Blind peoples dreams probably just reflect there experiences just as ours do minus the sight aspect (there's still feel, touch, sound, etc.) In their. dreams they probably experience the other senses much more intense and defined than people with sight... similar to how they do when awake. Im sure if they weren't born blind or to young to remember what it was like to have sight that they probabley dream of still having sight.

Do you remember if you woke feeling more rested when you were remembering your dreams...?:confused:

I've read about the writing your dreams down when you first wake up too... even have a pad and pen next to my bed but im so out of it when I first wake up the only thing I think of or remember to do is hit the snooze button. Hey... wonder if I can program my alarm to wake me up saying write down your dream...write down your dream over and over. Might actually work... :rolleyes: or I'll just continue to hit the snooze button who knows.

Interesting. I've had vivid dreams for as long as I can remember, and I have at least one dream on most nights. [Other than when I experience severe insomnia due to depression.] I remember a good percentage of them too.

Admittedly I think the addition of Remeron to my medication regimen "boosted" the vividity of my dreams and/or upped the frequency. But it's great - I love sleeping, I love dreaming.
That's great to hear glad your dreams are back... hmm... what is Remeron a antidepressant?

Now that I think about it any time I changed, just started, or changed doses of a med my dreams would come back a little bit but not much just enough to know I had one... but this would only last for a night or two.

Unless you've damaged your parietal lobes - ie a stroke, head trauma, etc - you're dreaming and just not remembering it.

I used to have extremely amazing, vivid dreams and remembered them in great detail. Sadly, that stopped about 18 months ago - approximately six months before I had a total breakdown. I wasn't on any medications that might account for it. I keep hopin that it will start again, because I miss then.
I hear ya... miss my dreams to but haven't had them in so long I barely remember what i miss. Dreams give you that break between going to sleep and waking up. That's why I hate going to sleep because I know as soon as I do the next thing I know I getting up for work. SUCKS! I don't even mind it if I wake up a couple times during the night because at least that would give me that break but usually just sleep till the alarm goes off... hate my stupid alarm. Its like without dreams I feel like im missing or skipping a part of my life in a way. Sounds weird I know. I actually feel jealous of others when they talk about their dreams... as if im missing out on something.:o

Fuzzy12
02-19-12, 07:59 PM
On that same note I heard or read somewhere we can't read in our dreams either... the part of our brain that's responsible for that doesn't function when we're asleep... weird.

That's fascinating. I remember a dream (sorry, don't mean to rub it in ;-) ) where I tried to read from a book but I just couldn't make sense of what was written. I think, I could read the words but I didn't understand the meaning of the words though I tried reading it again and again.

I actually feel less rested when I dream a lot. It seems more like an interruption to restful sleep. I know what you mean though. I don't like the thought of closing my eyes and then seemingly having to wake up again. Sometimes, on weekends, I set my alarm slightly earlier than when I need to get up, just so that I can wake up and feel happy about the fact that I don't have to get up yet. :o

spunkysmum
02-19-12, 10:13 PM
My boyfriend says he hardly ever dreams. I take that to mean he doesn't remember them because I assume everybody dreams.

purpleToes
02-20-12, 05:32 AM
Is this because of my ADHD causing me not to remember or because im not hitting REM sleep? I only have maybe one dream a month if that and its only maybe a couple of seconds... not enough to even describe it.

Also having trouble finding meds and doses for ADHD that really help my focus(can't stop daydreaming and zoning out). Starting to question if maybe my sleep has something to do with it.

The thing is I have a good sleep schedule and get enough sleep. I lay down and in ten minutes im asleep and next thing I know my alarm is going off and its time to get up... but never remember any dreams. What does this mean? I have a hard time getting up and my brain fog the first hour is so bad its impossible to do anything. I get up an hour before work and am almost late every day even if I shower the night before.

What do you guys think? For you guys that tried supplements did your remembering dreams improve? If so which ones?

Im going to make an appointment for a sleep study I think... thing is I do sleep just don't know how well or deep.

If you think you're not dreaming, and you're waking unrefreshed, you might really not be dreaming (not getting REM sleep, and probably missing some stage 3 and 4 sleep too). The sleep study is a very good idea.

wiffy123
02-20-12, 05:40 AM
some i remember some i dont some stay with me for years ,i still think of a couple that realy affected me seeing my brother and talking to him even tho he had died years before. i love the dream world and some times hate it.

TracyLauren
02-20-12, 09:35 AM
Believe it or not, the absence of dreams can be a symptom of Sleep Apnea. It's not well documented but it's just a fact that if you don't reach REM sleep because of Sleep Apnea, you just don't have any dreams. A sleep study can diagnose Sleep Apnea easily. It's well worth your time to investigate it.

I know because I have severe Sleep Apnea and I would rarely experience dreams before I started treatment.

Gilthranon
02-20-12, 02:58 PM
Dreams reveal your true personality and subconscious - the way your actually percieve the world. Dreams reveal you without shame to show it. The beauty of it, is that no bounderies imprison you, in contrast to the reality where on's constantly restrained.

The position a sleepers sleeps in reveals not only his sex, but also character (although perhaps not in detail) .

Personally, I discovered my dreams are abstract and imposing, and their originality intrigues me, so I've created 'My world' - my own personal dream diary containing overall just keywords. Generally I tend to remember dreams.

Yes - I do take sleep improving drops before sleeping. Way more than suggested though. I'm considering a bottle of true scotch whiskey in the short distant future... =)

TheChemicals
02-20-12, 07:30 PM
This might sound creepy but ever since i posted on this thread....i went from "never recalling my dreams anymore" to remembering every single dream for the last 3 nights after posting here... I but would be happy but they have all been nightmares.

Conman
02-20-12, 11:25 PM
remembering your dreams depends on when you wake up in your sleep as well. if you wake up during REM sleep stage, you're waaaay more likely to remember your dreams in the bulk of what they were if not all of it. otherwise you may remember only fragments of it.