View Full Version : So Abilify didn't work too well

Macavity224
02-19-12, 08:58 PM
I'm on Lamictal 200mg/day and about a month ago was put on Abilify 5mg/day. Now for the first week or so, the Abilify was okay, but afterwards, I started to fall into a pretty severe depression, complete with suicide ideation, lethargy, the works. My doctor mentioned putting me on Risperodol, but I'm wondering...how does it compare with Abilify? I've always been under the impression that Abilify is "mild" when compared with similar atypical antipsychotics, but I could be wrong.

I'm just worried about getting way too sedated again. Any comments?

known_guy
02-20-12, 12:13 AM
If memory serves me right, I believe Abilify is one of the more activating of the atypical antipsychotics. Or at the very least, one of the least sedating.
I think another viable option to look into would be Geodon? I have no personal experience with either of the two but have read up on quite a bit of this.

But of course, this is just a non-professional (what do I know? :P) suggestion to look into!

Yellow
02-29-12, 07:06 AM
in my experience/ime/imho ABILIFY is DA BEST anti-psychotic/moodstabilizer (and anti-depressant/anti-anxiety) med. it is extremely mild as u said in nearly every respect, unless you are one of the people who gets overly activated/akathisia/RLS. metabolically it is the safest, s/e/side fxs are the lowest, least chance of EPS or tardive dyskensia than other antipsythoics, it works very subtly, and im just plain interested fascinated in its pharamacodynamics since no other med is like it on the market right now, though there are others that are very similar in research development.

guy above is right, its the most "activating," though it does nothing like that to me on any dose, no other antipsychotic will be so subtle. abilify is the only one that isnt a total "dopamine blocker," all the others will definitely knock you out the first few doses. after a few weeks, ull be able to handle the sedation, but if sedation is the issue, nothings gonna beat abilify. again abilifys "dopamine boosting" effects (partial agonism) are so activating that it can cause inner restlessness/akathisia and somehow RLS, which i think is just the bodily release or physical expression for the akathisia, u know when u shake ur leg or tap ur heel/whatever u wanna call it when ur jitttery or nervous?

risperdal will knock you out first few times for sure, but after a few weeks u might get used to its sedation. what do i think? knowin all of the antipsycs pretty well, i dont think u should switch. 5mg is the starting minimal therapeutic dose and is not actually considered efficacious. i would definitely ask to bump it up to 10mg, to try for a month, and then if that doesnt work 15mg. studies have found 10mg to be the real effective dose, and 15mg was sometimes needed for tougher cases, but 5mg is just to start really and if ur lucky then u could stay there.

case n point, case 1 - me: i started on 10mg and then i started to get apathetically calm. dull really. so i dropped to 5mg, and i even wonder if i can go down to 2mg, but that has shown to be ineffective and not only do i not feel like experimenting anymore, but my dr wont rx 2mgs to me, ive asked. i could split the 5mgs but ehhh, whatever....case 2 - cousin: started on 2mg, nothing, upped to 2.5mg , nothing, upped to 5mg, started to see something, upped to 10mg, boom hit a new point, then wanted to decrease to 7.5mg and then some days just 5mg and disaster struck, so back up to 10mg and thats her dose. i personally think shes one of the people who might need the extra 5mg for a 15mg total cuz shes really volitle, but klonopin (and ssri) evens out the edges.

in summary: i suggest you ask upping the dose to 10mg, see how that goes, and if it doesnt help after 2-4 wks dependin on how long u can stand waitin, go up and past 15mgs, remember i said metabolicallly its the safest, you cant really do any organ damage like the other antipsychotics, even at the max levels of 30-45 mgs....risperdal on the other hand is quite taxing.....ALSO sounds like u could use a straight up antidepressant, like an SSRI, SNRI, or NDRI, id stay away from TCAs (tricyclics) and maois cuza metabolic risks again, but also NaSSa like remeron is good for depression and anxiety, and if anxietys bad, ask about klonpin and and an antidepressant/combo.....for example 10mg abilify+50-100mg wellbutrin+ 50-100mg zoloft+.5-1mgklonopin. or maybe 10mg abilify + 50mg pristiq+ .5-1mg klonopin or 10mg abilify + 50-100mg zoloft + .5-1mg or just 10mg abilify + zoloft (and .5-1mg klopin for anxiety if needed). i say zoloft cuz its a potent antianxiolytic anti-d SSRI compared to others, and it has DRI action which makes it non sedating like lets say paxil or prozac and once again metabolically safer than other antidepressants, not necessarily the ssri class, but def other families.

id print this out and show it to ur doc just so u have reference cuz its a lot of stuff. hope that helps, and ask if u have other questions

josh1109
02-29-12, 08:42 AM
I have been on risperidone once but was given a too higher dose ( 2mg ) and had flu like symptoms and VERY zombied. BUT it did help alot for racing thoughts etc. Was given Abilify but didnt do anything at all just made me more restless

Crackpotdad
10-10-12, 10:57 PM
case n point, case 1 - me: i started on 10mg and then i started to get apathetically calm. dull really. so i dropped to 5mg, and i even wonder if i can go down to 2mg, but that has shown to be ineffective and not only do i not feel like experimenting anymore, but my dr wont rx 2mgs to me, ive asked. i could split the 5mgs but ehhh, whatever....

I myself have found 2mg makes just enough change in me. I have a very cautious psychiatrist (I think he is great), who likes to do medications very gently. Started on half a 2mg. Noticed little things and a wanted to go more. Went to 2mg, noticed more positive change. I wanted to go to 4mg, he hesitantly agreed to 3mg. Within a week I felt I had lost my "edge"... I just felt I was thinking slower, wasn't as observant (being paranoid has it's perks). I really noticed something was off when I couldn't sing along to songs on radio (I couldn't keep up). I went back to 2mg and have been there since. Worth noting that I take Remeron which has a sedative affect as well.