View Full Version : ADHD meds and existing depression

thegreenjudy
02-21-12, 11:52 AM
I wonder what I can do if I am offered meds and I already have existing depression. I went on Ritalin a few years ago (back home in Germany) and I ditched it after a few weeks. I was in a mess, went completely bonkers and I was depressed as hell. I haven't heard of any meds that don't worsen depression as a side effect.

At the time I was told not to take Ritalin with my anti depressants. So I was a bit stuck..

awdotson
02-24-12, 08:15 PM
ADHD/Depression comorbidity is common. You might look into the antidepressants that are specifically effective for treating ADHD, with the added bonus that they are antidepressants.

Gardenia
02-27-12, 05:49 PM
You might want to look at Stratera. There is a mild anti-anxiety component in some people.

I have been there, done that with desipramine and impramine (tricyclic antipressants which may provide some help with adhd.) This was years ago, before prozac, paxil, zoloft etc were available. They caused side effects including sudden, profuse sweating:eek: and constipation. Not only that, but the "antidepressant" effect was barely noticeable.

I was not diagnosed with ADHD at the time, so I don't know if they "worked" or not for ADHD, but I did graduate from college, including heavy engineering course loads.