View Full Version : Low salicylate / psuedo-feingold diet

oneup
02-21-12, 06:33 PM
Has anyone tried this diet? How long does it take to see the max benefits?

I'm starting the elimination phase gradually. This diet is really restrictive. The basic theory is that eliminating allergens will reduce inattentive/ hyperactivity symptoms. Overall, based on a bunch of studies, it has been shown to be semi effective, but for true ADHD, maybe 20% effective at most. I'm hoping for some additional health benefits, so maybe it'll be worth it:
--less migraines
--less fatigue
--better allergies
--less asthma
I have aspirin sensitive asthma so I'm sure I'll see some benefits at least...hopefully.

MarciaD
02-21-12, 08:54 PM
I don't know what psuedo-feingold is but we've used the Feingold diet for many years with great success. I know many with migraines, asthma, excema and ADHD symptoms that have had great relief. You need to go to feingold.org for the info.

There is also a good Yahoo group. health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feingold-Program4us/

oneup
02-23-12, 06:40 PM
psuedofeingold= half-***ed feingold diet, kind of. I'm focusing on salicylates for the most part, I'm pretty sure I don't have sensitivity to dyes.

Is the feingold info up to date on salicylates? I thought it focused more on preservatives/ food dyes, since salicylates are in so much of are food to different extents. I can't afford any books or subscriptions right now anyways though, and the free content on feingold.org is mainly testimonials and such. Thanks though.

I'm on day 5 of my elimination diet. SO far it is really boring and hard to stick to...

MarciaD
02-23-12, 08:20 PM
Check out the Feingold site again. There is one link to success stories, but the bulk of the website discusses the diet, research, resources.

There are a lot of sites on the web showing levels of salicylates in foods. It is based on a study in 1985 (Swain et. al) but it neglects distinguishing between the kinds of salicylates, etc. explained here: http://feingold.org/salicylate.php

Regarding your health problems, did you see this link on the Feingold site: http://feingold.org/salicylate.php

desafinado
03-09-12, 08:20 PM
feingold doesn't eliminate all salicylates, or even foods with high salicylate levels. it just eliminates the ones that dr. feingold consistently saw in his practice as being problematic.

are you putting this diet together by reading stuff in books/online? I did an quasi-feingold/failsafe/salicylate elimination diet for about 4 months & in hindsight it was very overwhelming and too restricting, but not restrictive enough on the right things. particularly when i was going by lists of sal content in food, as the evidence shows that some veg/fruits are high in sals yet most people tolerate them very well.

eventually i gave in and bought the feingold membership. i had some results with my own diet after about 3 weeks (and i should tell you, it got worse the second week before it got better), but it's been even better since i started feingold specifically. at least, it's been easier to identify the culprit if i'm having a problem. If you're doing this diet for the symptoms you listed, i'd say STICK TO IT. i didn't start it because of adhd symptoms, but those have certainly improved, indirectly. like i used to have daily headaches...headaches may not be part of adhd, but having a constant headache sure doesn't make having adhd easier!

the real benefit to membership is the foodlist, which (i'm sure you already know this) is a book of the different approved brands/foods. it makes grocery shopping a lot easier, but i totally get not being able to afford it, i was in the same place. and i don't think you need to. just stick to real, whole foods, the more basic the better. like instead of diet fruit punch cocktail, try 100% juice. but i would advise you to reconsider eliminating certain additives. feingold eliminates synthetic coloring, artificial flavors, the preservatives BHA, BHT and TBHQ, and synthetic sweeteners (if you stick to organic/natural brands, this is pretty easy). these diets really don't work unless you eliminate all potential allergens, and there's lots of evidence that the body's difficulty with salicylates is similar to it's difficulty with petroleum based additives. i originally thought my problems were with natural salicylates only, but i was wrong. for example, i have almost an immediate and obvious reaction to strawberries. they make me red in the face, i want to punch everyone, can't sit still, etc. but yellow 5 (tartrazine) shows up about 24-48 hours after ingesting it, as crankiness, distractibility and vague ocular-motor problems. because of the delayed reaction, it took a while to figure this out, but it was that much more helpful once i did.

i could write a novel on this, so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! :)

oneup
03-11-12, 08:17 PM
I'm trying to get in the mentality of "what can I eat"/ safe foods, versus bad foods / avoidance foods. Similar to an elimination diet I did several years ago to figure out migraine triggers. I read some more a few weeks ago about colorings and did some research, and was surprised how toxic many of them are, so I'm eliminating those, the bht type antioxidants, and trying for just low salicylates and low food additives, like sodium benzoate.

Its definitely overwhelming though as I already have several food allergies/ intolerances.