View Full Version : Anyone experienced Stims increasing frequency of mood changes?

Piper30
02-23-12, 04:44 AM
I am trying to understand someone in my life ADHD, BiPolar recently started Adderall. Since the stim it has been like a never ending roller coaster ride and there is loops, it goes upside down, spins, and flips...I don't like it, it is hard to keep up ...it is exhaugsting. It is painful to see the lows go soo so low and I can't fix it, and it is havoc on my life trying to repair the messes the highs make ..

Is this what they call cycling? Example, crying hysterically literally five minutes later confident and motivated with a purpose, then not twenty minutes and crying starts. Real example, I have never been around mood changes so fast .. they aren't always this fast but are increasing .. I am not educated on BiPolar please forgive me for that.

and this is my mom, 83...

Blueranne
02-23-12, 12:58 PM
Yes, your mom is cycling. Going between hysterics and being elated so quickly is called a "mixed episode" and they are generally the most dangerous. Her bipolar symptoms need to be treated as the primary condition. Stimulants are a dangerous choice with her condition. I would strongly recommend she stop taking them.

Piper30
03-02-12, 07:06 PM
Yes, your mom is cycling. Going between hysterics and being elated so quickly is called a "mixed episode" and they are generally the most dangerous. Her bipolar symptoms need to be treated as the primary condition. Stimulants are a dangerous choice with her condition. I would strongly recommend she stop taking them.

Me to. Another forum member took the time to look up all her meds and turns out she is taking a toxic cocktail of "lets fry my brain" with a side of "make me appear as nuts and or out of it as possible"....

This morning she was screaming at me, sharing her wish that she had never given birth to me.

Afternoon she came in, handed me money, and said please go get her beer. (I have no clue where this came from, she is a recovered alcholic from years yeeeeaaars back, and hasn't had a drink in forever) I did not go, I brought her back a nice new electric toothbrush instead ...

Present, she has a child like demeanor. Finding excuses to be around me, asking me questions she knows the answer to...wanting to chit chat, some of it makes sense, some doesn't.

For example while I was at the store, I sent her a text message that MY phone was about to die but not to worry I would be home in 20 minutes or so. She text me back "Oh great, I hate that. Look in the glove compartment I think it is in there" I text back asking what was in the GC ???? she replied "My car charger for my phone. You said it was dying didn't you?"

She was texting me from her phone. I replied saying just that ....she laughed. As I type this she is measuring my windows, she plans on making curtains for all the windows in the house and is asking the color I want. She doesn't know how to sew.

I'm worn out. This mornings blow up was extreme...three days ago she had a blow up that nearly had the police involved. I know her meds are at the very least partly to blame. Honestly, I am so worn out ..I can't...I

When I gain some energy back I will drag her to pdoc and lay on the floor until someone listens to me.

I can almost time her moods, seriously...I can almost tell you to the hour how she will be. My problem is surviving certain hours. I become a target for the anger, rage, then a shoulder for the sadness.

She just put a happy face stick on my laptop and said it needs a beer. ack!:eek::confused::umm1::(

Blueranne
03-02-12, 07:17 PM
Your mom is lucky to have you. I would recommend weekly visits with the psychiatrist until she becomes stabile. Temporary hospitalization my help while you guys readjusts and taper off certain meds. Whatever you do make sure YOU get the support YOU need too.