View Full Version : ADHD + dexatro = anorexia

rcking
02-23-12, 07:22 AM
Hey, so I started on dexatroamphet and the side effects are insomnia and anorexia and i'm getting slapped across the face by insomnia and then back handed by anorexia. Right now it's 4:45am and in the last 24 hours i've only had some vitamins, 2 pieces of pizza and water.
Now, i've been slightly overweight for the past few years. And starting this I now have the energy to work out and am able to focus better then I have in the past 19 years of my life. Now i'm working out and attempting eating healthy when I eat. I drink chocolate milk every time after i work out.

I think that in a while the dosage will be upped by mg again which i hope because I'm still having troubles focusing..

I guess i'm wondering if my eating less and working out more is unhealthy? (I really want to get in shape and loose some weight which is why i'm sorta on the binge right now.)

Advice please? :) <(The smile is because i'm in an amazing mood)> :)

Hypoactive
02-24-12, 03:43 PM
well, a diet consisting of just pizza and chocolate milk is far from healthy...since you're not that hungry anyway, why not follow a bonafide healthy diet plan, created by you and your doctor?

btw, on just 10mgs of adderall, i went from being morbidly obese to severely anorexic (accidentally) in less than a year...be very careful.

Massari
02-24-12, 04:05 PM
Hey, so I started on dexatroamphet and the side effects are insomnia and anorexia and i'm getting slapped across the face by insomnia and then back handed by anorexia. Right now it's 4:45am and in the last 24 hours i've only had some vitamins, 2 pieces of pizza and water.
Now, i've been slightly overweight for the past few years. And starting this I now have the energy to work out and am able to focus better then I have in the past 19 years of my life. Now i'm working out and attempting eating healthy when I eat. I drink chocolate milk every time after i work out.

I think that in a while the dosage will be upped by mg again which i hope because I'm still having troubles focusing..

I guess i'm wondering if my eating less and working out more is unhealthy? (I really want to get in shape and loose some weight which is why i'm sorta on the binge right now.)

Advice please? :) <(The smile is because i'm in an amazing mood)> :)

If you don't eat you die.

emploding
02-26-12, 05:27 PM
If you don't eat you die.

Yay for unhelpful overgeneralisations!

rcking do you have an eating disorder, or you're just having the appetite loss associated with the meds? If you're just having the appetite loss, then you just need to eat anyway :P Set up a schedule, and eat at certain times, regardless of your hunger levels.

If you have an eating disorder and the meds are making it worse, see your doctor.

This is an ED sub-forum, which is why I'm asking if you actually have an eating disorder.

D3s0xyn
02-27-12, 03:58 AM
Do you mean anorexia which simply means lack of appetite or anorexia nervosia which is not eating from a skewed body image

rcking
02-27-12, 10:27 PM
Yay for unhelpful overgeneralisations!

rcking do you have an eating disorder, or you're just having the appetite loss associated with the meds? If you're just having the appetite loss, then you just need to eat anyway :P Set up a schedule, and eat at certain times, regardless of your hunger levels.

If you have an eating disorder and the meds are making it worse, see your doctor.

This is an ED sub-forum, which is why I'm asking if you actually have an eating disorder.

I haven't been diagnosed with an eating disorder but the ADHD medication that i'm on has a side effect of anorexia. Which is why i'm posting on here.

I actually eat decently often, It's more of a driver to cut back. Over the weekends i usually don't take my medication so i end up over eating. During the week I usually eat way less. I still eat, don't get me wrong. I make sure I eat 2x a day in full meals now. I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows how much i should be eating/has tips for a good diet to help me out with.

Do you mean anorexia which simply means lack of appetite or anorexia nervosia which is not eating from a skewed body image

Mostly the lack of appetite, I would like to get into shape, but I wouldn't kill myself over not being in shape..

emploding
02-28-12, 12:58 AM
I haven't been diagnosed with an eating disorder but the ADHD medication that i'm on has a side effect of anorexia. Which is why i'm posting on here.

Ok, that anorexia isn't an eating disorder. Anorexia means loss of appetite. Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder (related to appetite, hence the use of the word "anorexia"). They are not the same thing.

I have an eating disorder. Many others here do too. Perhaps the ED sub-forum isn't the best place to be asking for diet tips. However, my diet involves not eating for 21 days at a time, with the exception of water and coffee. Maybe try that for losing weight?

Flory
02-28-12, 06:56 PM
hey rxking
the lack of appetite is a major side effect of most amphetamine based medication....notably drugs like adhd medications but also things like ephedrine (now illegal) being used by body-builders, eating disordered etc for the appetite supressing qualities...because of the risk associated with taking amphetamines and the heart i feel it would be useful to say (also from my own experience as someone who has suffered from anorexia nervosa) that starving yourself often causes muscle wasteage , the heart muscles may also suffer a loss of mass through rapid weight loss that +amphetamines is a heart attack waiting to happen...if you are struggling to eat solids something like ensure meal replacements throughout the day plus bananas, fruits nuts and maybe an evening meal when the meds wear off are a far better option than starving...the last thing you want is to have to come off your meds completely due to rapid weight loss etc...take it easy on yourself and give your body a little extra time to adjust and process what you are putting in to it. most importantly if you can't eat at all you need to ensure you are drinking and pushing fluids through your body as the chemicals in drugs can change in efficacy and the way in which they ar absorbed through your body from dehydration/starvation etc....
just take care of yourself !!! x

La Sleepy
02-28-12, 07:13 PM
Everyone talks about losing weight or gaining weight, but it is rare that people look at what the "weight" means in itself. Pounds lost is not a got thing if it's loss of muscle tissue, and you can use up muscle tissue first if you aren't eating even if you're overweight. It's all an incredibly complicated subject, and most of us with eating disorders have already spent *way* too much time reading up on it.

Bottom line for everyone, is what Florence said: eat. or use Enxure type meal replacement drinks (protein shakes are really good for that, you can find some with 0 grams carbs for all of us who are still weird about stuff like that.) Just don't starve yourself of nutrients, it's not the way to lose fat, it's just all around a terrible idea.

Flory
02-28-12, 08:37 PM
Everyone talks about losing weight or gaining weight, but it is rare that people look at what the "weight" means in itself. Pounds lost is not a got thing if it's loss of muscle tissue, and you can use up muscle tissue first if you aren't eating even if you're overweight. It's all an incredibly complicated subject, and most of us with eating disorders have already spent *way* too much time reading up on it.

Bottom line for everyone, is what Florence said: eat. or use Enxure type meal replacement drinks (protein shakes are really good for that, you can find some with 0 grams carbs for all of us who are still weird about stuff like that.) Just don't starve yourself of nutrients, it's not the way to lose fat, it's just all around a terrible idea.

The weightloss thing is definitely something that i and most eating disordered have spent hours and hours and days and month etc of ours lives reading about, obsessing about, crying about and nearly killing ourselves over from illness due to ed)...you are so right !!
when i think back to some of the lows i reached in order to drop weight i am very very ashamed of myself..im not even going to mention it on here as it is triggering and dont wish to unintentionally give people tips
xxx

eeilyk
03-21-12, 10:43 AM
I haven't eaten lunch in weeks, but i'm starting to get my appetite back in the morning and night time.. Eating an egg, lettuce and avocado multigrain sandwich for breakfast when i can stomach it, and getting back into my passion for cooking at night, although i haven't been able to eat much when i've finished the cooking process.

I like the weight loss side effect because i was always skinny/underweight as a child/teenager and i could eat what i wanted.. after a few years of drinking, it started to make me gain weight.. when i eat healthy i loose 2-3 kg's but i still drink so it stops there..

Dex has made me loose 5kg in 3 weeks.. now to start exercising!

Waterbegone
04-01-12, 01:26 PM
La sleepy- I have questions for you! I've been on Dexedrine for 2 years for orthostatic edema. First year lost 15 lbs but I wasn't eating - would eat dinner at night and drink coffee during the day. Now I've gained 23 lbs!! My thyroid is in correct range so I have to assume it's the dex. I have high aldosterone and last year had high cortisol- have u ever heard of anyone gaining weight on dex? I have posted before but no replies that they've gained weight! Plus I have terrible bursitis , back knots and pain. Again never until I started dex. Any ideas? Anyone gain weight?

La Sleepy
04-01-12, 02:25 PM
I know that the muscle stiffness is aggravated by stimulants, adderall or dexedrine will make it worse. I can't imagine why they would have put you on dexedrine for orthostatic edema. But I'm no doctor. So the average person, even weird freaky eating disordered ones like me, would tend to tell you that it's much easier to lose weight on dexedrine. I have only seen it decrease my appetite while it's in my system, however, so when it wears off at night, I have found myself eating too much. This is also commonly reported on this forum. But that's the only reason I would think a person could gain weight from dexedrine.

That said, I don't know about you, individually, but for me I always want to blame my medication for any weight gain or even a difficulty in losing, when it's usuallysomething I'm doing or not doing that's causing it.

Seriously, I don't know what the high levels of those things could mean in any way, but I would really doubt that dexedrine could make a person gain weight unless it was rebound overeating at night, and even that......you'd have to be eating butter.

I can imagine how upset you'd be about the weight gain, and to eeilyk, the drinking thing? My god. When I was drinking I gained a lot of weight. Only alcohol could have clouded my brain to the point where I could accept that kind of size in myself. I am so happy that I never drinnk now. Whew, one less thing to worry about.

Waterbegone
04-01-12, 06:27 PM
Maybe my problem is drinking too much wine- I've found I have to drink (nightly now) to relax from the Dexedrine. I've been drinking at least half bottle wine most nights. I've also been doing this bc of my weight gain to deal with it. Maybe the alcohol , coffee and Dexedrine causing dehydration and weight gain, fluid retention? Did u find u gained weight from alcohol?

La Sleepy
04-02-12, 01:12 PM
Maybe my problem is drinking too much wine- I've found I have to drink (nightly now) to relax from the Dexedrine. I've been drinking at least half bottle wine most nights. I've also been doing this bc of my weight gain to deal with it. Maybe the alcohol , coffee and Dexedrine causing dehydration and weight gain, fluid retention? Did u find u gained weight from alcohol?

Ive got bad news for you! Alcohol is the only substance I know of that can override even the vigilance of diagnosed anorexic people like myself and lead to not just weight gain,but substantial weight gain! Yes, it does cause you to retain water when you drink, but the calories in alcohol are not metabolized by the body in the way other calories are. It's not something I'm qualified to explain, but basically all alcohol is sugar, and yet the body doesn't process it as a sugar.

The point is, you're in the very scary cycle that I got into if you're drinking to feel better about your weight gain. It does work, you will numb out and feel okay about the weight gain for a few hours, but you'll wake up miserable and heavier the next day.

The only idea I can think of besides stopping drinking all together, which would definitely cause you to lose weight, would be to mix wine with diet 7up. But mixing alcohol with dexedrine is a really bad idea. It makes the effect of the alcohol much stronger (in my experience) and weakens the action of the dexedrine.

You really should talk about this stuff to your doctor, he would probably be able to explain this better than I can.