View Full Version : Does any one go to the gym?

Rebelyell
02-23-12, 04:22 PM
I Have a few questions on it.I just started last week,I do 10-20 minutes of cardio,do various types of exercise 4 sets of weight 40 on each side to 90 10 times each and then I finish up w some more cardio on the eliptical machine or doing 8-15 laps in the pool.Is this an adequate work out for a begginner or am I not doing enough?Also on the cardio machine I get my heart beat up to 146-155 rate and try to keep it there,is this the right way to do this or am I suppose to have the lowest heart rate possible or highest?I cant really afford a full time personal trainer right now.

BR549
02-23-12, 04:37 PM
Not as much as I used to. I used to ask myself if I was doing enough as a beginner. I found (for me, and I am a woman) that it took me a bit to figure the difference between too much and too little. I had to start by setting some (realistic) goals on what I wanted to achieve and what I was actually able to do. I ended up talking to a trainer friend about a workout routine to meet my goals and then started logging my workouts and gauging my progress. I also skimmed through "The Big Book of Exercises for women" by MensHealth and the one for men. They were just a guideline to give me some ideas of different things (plus show me proper form) to do until I could talk to my friend.

You joined a gym, right? You might want to check to see if there are any complimentary "training sessions" included with your membership. Sometimes, the trainers will answer a few questions like your without requiring that you train with them--depending on the gym and as long as you don't make it a habit:)

Kronar posted some good tips here, don't know if they will help you and they don't answer your heart rate question, but I thought they might help:

www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119119

It depends on what you want to achieve in the gym. Give me an idea of your goals and the maximum days a week and time in the gym you want to spend, and also your age and bodytype and I can tell you the best way to do that for sure. But only bench press is not the answer. Pyramiding the weight is the best way for gaining muscle. Start with warmup of 15 reps. Then do 12 10 8 and 6 reps with 2 min rest in between.

KronarTheBlack
02-23-12, 05:21 PM
I Have a few questions on it.I just started last week,I do 10-20 minutes of cardio,do various types of exercise 4 sets of weight 40 on each side to 90 10 times each and then I finish up w some more cardio on the eliptical machine or doing 8-15 laps in the pool.Is this an adequate work out for a begginner or am I not doing enough?Also on the cardio machine I get my heart beat up to 146-155 rate and try to keep it there,is this the right way to do this or am I suppose to have the lowest heart rate possible or highest?I cant really afford a full time personal trainer right now.

That is actually quite a bit if you just started last week but if its working for you and you feel healthy then don't stop it. 146 - 155 bpm is actually quite hard to maintain ...you must have good endurance genetics. That heartbeat range is perfect for losing fat and increasing endurance. If you are interested in just losing fat then keep on doing what you are doing while upping the intensity gradually (over weeks). If you are interested in gaining muscle then do less cardio and more weights because the body works best either gaining muscle or losing fat by themselves not both at the same time.

What you eat and when you eat it is the most important thing besides goign to the gym. Eat lots of protein because it is what your body uses the build and repair itself. So keep at it and you will see some good results really soon.

There is no hard and fast rule as to what your heart rate should be exercising because you should do what feels good for you but the suggested maximum is the formula
HRmax = 205.8 − (0.685 age) so if you are 50 then don't go above around 172bpm.

Rebelyell
02-23-12, 07:40 PM
I was suppose to go tonite Ihad a free training lesson at 5:30 I forgot my shorts went home,got water at 7-11 I got stuck in traffic sitting in traffic backe dup for 2 miles its now 5 :23 I left the house at 5 after 5,stomache started hurting me,gym is like 5-10 miles away I was so ****** I slammed dashboard,punched ceiling of my truck and resigned myself and went home.I swear i GET so freaking frustrated when I have High hopes for stuff and it all goes fubar when its time to deliever or the nite I need to get it together and I cant like tonite,Im such a disorganized mess its freaking unreal. I want to get cut and loose my gut,maybe get back to size 34 jeans,I hate being tight in size 38 jeans:(

Brob2
02-23-12, 07:43 PM
That is actually quite a bit if you just started last week but if its working for you and you feel healthy then don't stop it. 146 - 155 bpm is actually quite hard to maintain ...you must have good endurance genetics. That heartbeat range is perfect for losing fat and increasing endurance. If you are interested in just losing fat then keep on doing what you are doing while upping the intensity gradually (over weeks). If you are interested in gaining muscle then do less cardio and more weights because the body works best either gaining muscle or losing fat by themselves not both at the same time.

What you eat and when you eat it is the most important thing besides goign to the gym. Eat lots of protein because it is what your body uses the build and repair itself. So keep at it and you will see some good results really soon.

There is no hard and fast rule as to what your heart rate should be exercising because you should do what feels good for you but the suggested maximum is the formula
HRmax = 205.8 − (0.685 age) so if you are 50 then don't go above around 172bpm.

The hard and fast rules around maximum heart rate involve taking your HR at full load several times and is fairly involved. I can post it for you
if you like. The age formula is very generic, but I suppose is better than nothing. Recent British studies have shown that the higher the intensity of your cardio the higher the lower the percentage of fat calories you are burning, though in absolute numbers you are still burning more fat calories at the higher intensity. Most good endurance athletes do most of their exercise at a 125 to 135 HR. The fitter you become the lower your HR will be for the same pace.

Within a half hour of your workout take in some protein. The triathletes group I belong to tend to prefer chocolate milk, and it works for me! One guy hauls a can of tuna out of his bag and a plastic fork and chows down on that. Yuck.

I think you have a good workout going. Keep it up, Reb, that's really awesome. I'm happy you are doing it!:yes:

Rebelyell
02-23-12, 08:02 PM
I hope I can stick w it as it is already I have the naysayers saying I wont make it due to other things not working out as the fire dept.I dont know why its so hard for me to have so little staying power? Yeah ive let myself go and have eaten crap for along time and now I wonder when I work out and IM huffing and puffin and getting dizzy and lighthead ,I ask myself why I let myself go soo far down?I use to mt bike back on 03 and I got such bad heel spurs I couldnt ride after awhile my right foot would just give up,tired hot muscle and it wasnt enjoyable anymore and then I got depressed... Thats another story in itself tho..

Brob2
02-23-12, 09:23 PM
I hope I can stick w it as it is already I have the naysayers saying I wont make it due to other things not working out as the fire dept.I dont know why its so hard for me to have so little staying power? Yeah ive let myself go and have eaten crap for along time and now I wonder when I work out and IM huffing and puffin and getting dizzy and lighthead ,I ask myself why I let myself go soo far down?I use to mt bike back on 03 and I got such bad heel spurs I couldnt ride after awhile my right foot would just give up,tired hot muscle and it wasnt enjoyable anymore and then I got depressed... Thats another story in itself tho..

One of the sacred tenets of working out is to 'mix it up', and as ADHD'ers I gotta think it's even more important for us, and so if you can do it, try lots of different stuff. The staying power always comes with time and though getting to that point kinda hurts, it won't hurt nearly as much as it's gonna if you stop and I have to come down there and pound ya:D .

Work it til' it hurts ya. :)

_

oneup
02-23-12, 09:41 PM
I was suppose to go tonite Ihad a free training lesson at 5:30 I forgot my shorts went home,got water at 7-11 I got stuck in traffic sitting in traffic backe dup for 2 miles its now 5 :23 I left the house at 5 after 5,stomache started hurting me,gym is like 5-10 miles away I was so ****** I slammed dashboard,punched ceiling of my truck and resigned myself and went home.I swear i GET so freaking frustrated when I have High hopes for stuff and it all goes fubar when its time to deliever or the nite I need to get it together and I cant like tonite,Im such a disorganized mess its freaking unreal. I want to get cut and loose my gut,maybe get back to size 34 jeans,I hate being tight in size 38 jeans:(

For weight loss the best thing I've found is endurance exercize, try to do like an hour of elliptical or stationary bike. Just set the resistance and speed to something you can maintain for that length of time. The cardio / high intensity / high bpm is good for your heart and metabolism, and weights is good for physique, and strength, and mteabolism as well, but part of it is just putting in the time. Its really tough to try to get ripped and lose weight at the same time, probably the biggest challenge to this are the dietary barriers.

dsvlil1
02-24-12, 12:44 AM
A nice simple rule when doing cardio for generic health benefits is the talk test. If you can work yourself to the point where you can still talk without running out of breath but pushing yourself harder would make you run out of breath you're in a good zone that's not overly hard to maintain but still pushing yourself.

You can always challenge yourself by going harder in limited bursts then dropping back to talking pace. The intermittent heavier cardio loads will assist in weight loss.
Google interval training and you'll get the gist.

Cardio should be maintained for a minimum of 30 minutes if you are aiming for weight loss, so if you can't maintain if for 30 minutes I'd suggest backing off in intensity to a point where you can.

Rebelyell
02-24-12, 04:10 PM
:giggle:Im trying to go every day but it seems I feel like I got the stuffing beat out of me the next day:giggle:. so Its been either every other day or 2 days.Hopefully this isnt a waste?:scratch:

Harrier
02-24-12, 04:16 PM
You body needs time to rest between workouts. Unless your body is used to it, then every other day or 3 days a week is a good formula for lasting change. Once you are ready and know you can add an extra day or a two a week, take another look at upping your commitment. Think long and hard about sustainability: what can you keep up over a period time? Otherwise, its too easy to burn out and give up.

dsvlil1
02-24-12, 09:35 PM
When doing weight training it's advisable to work different muscle groups on alternating days so you're not loading the same muscles day after day. The muscles need rest to recuperate and adapt in response to the workout otherwise you're just going to tax yourself with little results to show for it.

spunkysmum
02-24-12, 11:18 PM
Used to. Can't afford it now.

tipoo
02-25-12, 12:14 AM

Depends on what you're trying to do. Just for general health that's fine. If you're trying to bulk up a bit I would not do cardio and weights on the same days, alternate if you go to the gym every day (ie weights on monday, cardio tuesday, etc). Each muscle group needs at least a day to recover if its going to grow at all.

Possum
02-25-12, 02:22 AM
I just joined the local rec center a few weeks ago. Once upon a time, I used to be pretty fit, but now I've turned into a flabby computer nerd/coach potato. Since I'm just starting out and since I'm so out of shape, all I'm doing at the moment is that walking/running machine (whatever it's called). I want to get to the point where I can walk 4mph for an hour and once I've gotten some stamina, I'm going to branch out to the other machines. My goal is to be able to hike 10 or 15 miles at a time without curling up into a little madly panting ball. I'd also like to get in shape to go cross country skiing next winter.

IUts been frustrating for me because stuff keeps preventing me from establishing a solid exercise schedule. First I had an infected tooth that I had to wait two weeks to get taken care of, then I couldn't get my adderall for about a week which really trashed me.

I'm up to walking 3.4 miles per hour on a slight incline for 45 minutes. It may not sound like much, but for me it's huge.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Rebelyell
02-25-12, 02:28 AM
lots of water and I try to keep a cadence and look for general progression.last nite I went to gym and I hadnt eaten anything all day, 15 minutes of cardio and did only 3 work stations,was going to go for a swimbut I was like so dizzy and lightheaded I was baked,thought I WAS gonna pass out.I got home and ate a few more yougurts,bro made me a few pbj sammwiches and I had an under ripe banana and fell asleep.I still feel dizzy like I walked off the tilterwall.Didnt take my meds yesterday so not sure if thats what IM feeling this way or not?

Stressless37
02-25-12, 09:14 AM
I found early mornings good for me.
My goal is six days a week also, but 4 days has been the latest reality :)
Working on it :)
If anyone is looking for a strength training program I would recommend
"New Rules of Lifting" specifically the one for women
"New Rules of Lifting for Women"
It has seven stages (women's book)
the first is a little long...but after that it changes like every month
and the sets and reps change all the time as well
They are pretty basic exercises that work more at once and the book gives advice about cardio and nutrition.
I have found using this program, I became stronger, lost about 12lbs and improved my reflexes.
I have the Men's book too and their programs are similar, but they have a lot more options it seems.