View Full Version : Anyone Have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder?

dominil
02-24-12, 04:06 AM
I was wondering if anyone has this disorder along with their ADHD it's a pretty common co-morbidity from my researching the topic.

I was also wondering what people do to deal with it.

I just let my body sleep when it wants(~4am-noonish) because i feel so much better that way. I just go sleep deprived for the day if i need to get up before that and catch up with my sleep on the weekends.

The night time is the right time.... to be awake according to my body lol

Abi
02-24-12, 04:38 AM
I have self diagnosed with Non-24-hour sleep-wake disorder; the sleep disorder which most accurately describes me.

Nothing much can be done about it so I don't bother with it.

I'm also self diagnosed with RLS, tho that tends to bother me while awake only.

I don't really work due to (formally diagnosed) Bipolar, & I'm VERY resistant to sleeping pills (Partially due to long term sedative use for Bipolar and Anxiety, and partially because I am sometimes in hypomanic states), so so much for that.

FTR I'm not officially diagnosed with ADHD.

Retromancer
02-24-12, 04:48 AM
Indeed sleep disorders are very common with ADDers. My natural bedtime --unencumbered by school or work-- is between 2am and 4am. Has been so since my teens. The only way I have been able to reliably do the 6 am out the door routine has been to be thoroughly medicated.

Piper30
02-24-12, 05:58 AM
My mother tells me one of the hardest things to deal with was me even very young wanting to be up all night and sleep during the day.

She has pictures of me surrounded by pots and pans I had taken out of the cupboard at 1am in my pajamas with feet (i miss those lol) happy and wide awake :o)

I am still that way, my body feels "sleepy" around 5-6am. Any sleep before that has to be with assisted with meds. Only certain meds, ambien, for instances was no good for me ..I stayed up still just didn't rememeber. Not cool.

Abi
02-24-12, 06:18 AM
Piper: What medications have succeeded in treating your insomina?

My list of failed medications:

Ambien (upto 4x max dose)
Zopiclone (upto 4x max dose)
Mogadon (max dose)
Ativan (upto 4 mg)
Klonopin (upto 5mg)
Combinations of above.

KronarTheBlack
02-24-12, 08:19 PM
I have tried

zopiclone
clonazepam,
codeine,
OTC sleeping pills I tried all of them
but seroqueol (75 mg does the trick for me) it slows my mind down and I take it 30 min before bed.

CheekyMonkey
02-24-12, 08:35 PM
My husband does. He uses light therapy in the morning to trigger his body to start waking up and at night to trigger sleep. He also HAS to wake up at the same time every day and go to sleep at the same time. His doctor also suggested coming off of sleeping pills because the body becomes dependent upon them for sleep. It has worked really well for him.

He has the sunrise clock. Amazon - BioBrite-Sunrise-Clock-Advanced-Charcoal/dp/B00196LFIU/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

namazu
02-24-12, 08:42 PM
I do, too.

A combination of daylight simulation alarm clock + phototherapy light box (and/or walk outside, but that rarely happens) in the morning and melatonin + stimulant + clonidine in the late evening have helped me somewhat.

(Also cutting off the bulk of my internet access at 12:30AM.)

...But especially in the winter when it's dark and cold in the morning, it's really a struggle. And one late night, and it will take weeks to reset myself again.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, because it's deadly in combination with the ADHD), I'm working from home at the moment and don't usually have to be awake early, which helps mitigate the negative consequences.

breanta
03-01-12, 06:21 AM
I just found out about this disorder last night, while up at 4 am perusing the internet like always for answers as to why I can't sleep at night, but once i fall asleep, usually around 4 am I can sleep like a baby but have such a hard time waking up. Pretty much all of the symptoms of this describe me and looking back, I have been this way my whole life... Labeled as lazy for sleeping in all the time and still am actually however im a stay at home mom and it doesnt exactly work for my schedule but am worried my daughter may have it as well, she normally doesnt wake up until around 11 am. and my mom has it too, we always have always wondered why we are like this but i read it is hereditary.. It really is starting to ruin my life quality as all my stay at home mom friends are out doing their "playdate thing" and all that jazz at 9/10 am.. No one I know besides my mom stay up late and the older I get the harder it is... I know I read not many doctors know a whole lot about it but, just wondering if anyone has talked with their docs about it... sorry about the lengthiness.. this is my very first post...like ever.. not too sure about all the rullos -bree

Fraser_0762
03-01-12, 09:17 AM
I can't function at all when i'm sleep deprived. I must get 8 hours of sleep. Unfortunatly I often don't get to sleep until about 3-4am in the morning, which results in me getting up at 11am-12pm. I just wont get up if I haven't had 8 hours.

scrambled86
10-13-12, 05:38 PM
Reviving an old thread but this was the other thing I got diagnosed with the other day!

Didn't even know it existed until they told me about it

amberwillow
10-13-12, 05:45 PM
All the evidence points to my husband having it. He isn't taking meds atm for his ADHD, depression or this (sigh). It disrupts so many facets of our lives.

Zevispaz
10-14-12, 12:09 AM
I don't know if this is the same thing, but I have seasonal insomnia. In the fall Oct-Dec, I get less sleep than normal, I average about 4-6 each night during this time. But at late night, my mind is so crystal clear. It's like night time during this time of year is a natural adhd med and I'm so much more productive than normal. I'm even productive during the day.

Last week was particularly bad. I only got 1-2 hours of sleep each night and had to kick the caffeine. I finally crashed this weekend and got about 10 hours last night.

But then in Jan-Mar I crash so hard core, I end up getting 10-12 hours of sleep each night and am constantly tired during the day no matter how much I sleep. The only relief I got from it last year was when I signed up for karate. I started getting more restful sleep. So I'm hoping after exercising regularly for a year I can skip the Jan-Mar phase. We'll see.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
10-14-12, 02:43 AM
Yes I've always had this "disorder" even as a kid I was up till 2am more often than not, even though I was in my bed I wasn't asleep.

I naturally get sleep around 4am to 6am, and I usually wake up around noon or 2pm. It causes problems at times but trying to go against my natural rhythms causes more problems. I usually take something to sleep, lately I just take my Klonopin at night I'm also rx'd ambien so I'll take that when I need it.

I'm regulated by my medication but even off of medication I don't fall asleep till early morning hours regardless of how much sleep I got the night before. At least once every week or so I don't sleep at all and I still can't fall asleep till 4am the next night night.

I'm most alert and clear from midnight till I go to sleep.

Weyoun
11-08-12, 11:10 PM
I've had DSPS all my life, and was diagnosed ages ago. Treatment with lightbox and melatonin, plus Ambien as needed had little overall effect. Mostly I just arranged my life around my natural rythm to as large an extent as possible. I have found it's become easier to deal with as I've gotten older. In my early twenties I had no control at all, but now that I'm passed 30, my body doesn't protest so much to being dragged up in the morning on 2-4 hours of sleep, and still doing a days work at the office. I'm still no good for proper cognitive tasks like studying though.

The best way to control this has in my experience been rigorous and absolute routine in getting up at the same time in the morning. When working full time, I've been able to maintain a consistent sleep patterns for months at a time doing this. Unthinkable 10 years ago.

Still, imposing such routine on yourself can be challenge enough in itself.

T-Rex65
11-09-12, 10:39 AM
YES, YES, YES!!!

I have to adhere to a daytime routine, and I hate it.