View Full Version : Wheat allergy

getsane
02-24-12, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I'm new to posting on Forums but I had to talk about my new findings. I'm a 41 year old Male that was diagnosed with adult ADD about 6 years ago. I did all the tests online and came to the conclusion that I should go and get checked out. After talking to the physiatrist a few times and doing the usual diagnosis stuff, we came to the conclusion that, I indeed did have Adult ADD and I should be on medication for it (I should mention that I was on Paxil for depression prior to going to see the physiatrist). He took me off the Paxil and started me on Dexedrine Spansules, and after playing with the dose I was at 25mg for about 5 years. It worked good, kept me balanced for the most part, but of course if I would stop taking it I would LOOSE MY MIND after the 2nd or 3rd day. I didn't notice it a much as my family did, I would feel like they were the cause of my anger and frustration, and that they were the one that are all out to lunch, but in the back of my mind, I knew that it was me. I felt like I would be tied to these meds for the rest of my life.

I'm not a particularly thin person, so this Christmas I wanted to try a carb free diet. I started cutting back on the carbs before Christmas, but I had every intention of eating Christmas dinner. Anyway, back to the point, my wife bought me a book for Christmas called Wheat Belly written by DR. WILLIAM DAVIS. I started reading the book before New Year’s and decided that we would go Wheat free on Jan 2nd (I don't like New Year’s resolutions). This decision has changed my life. Everything about my life has changed in 2 months. I have full concentration better than ever before in my life, even on the Meds. My memory is getting way better. I feel calmer and more relaxed. I can read faster and I don't seem to have as much of the generalized dyslexia that comes with ADD. NOT nervous at all, about the things that used to bother me before. I have a way better relationship with my wife and my kids. SEX is a way different experience when you are not nervous. Like I said “changed my life"

I have to add, It seems to be just Wheat not gluten or nothing else that I eat, so I did a test about a week ago, we had Pizza with a Regular Crust and within 4 hours I was confused and in an argument with my 13 year old son. After the whole family was confused about what was going on, I sat on the couch and realised that I felt "Drunk", and that there was something definitely wrong with ME and it was the wheat in the pizza crust. Now I’m fine again.

I would recommend to anyone that has been diagnosed with ADD to try going wheat free for a month and see how you feel. My brother did it about 3 weeks ago and is having the same reaction as me.
Please let me know if this helps.

CheekyMonkey
02-24-12, 08:49 PM
CAUTION!

PLEASE get tested for Celiac BEFORE you go wheat/gluten free.

Celiac disease causes brain fog and neurological issues when a person eats gluten. However, you can only get tested for it WHILE you are still on a gluten diet. So if you are considering it, just go to your doctor first and at least get the anti-body blood panel done.

There is a huge difference between wheat intolerant and celiac disease. If you have celiac and don't know it, it will cause major problems (even death!) down the line.

Just to be safe, get the blood test first!

kstate23
11-04-12, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I'm new to posting on Forums but I had to talk about my new findings. I'm a 41 year old Male that was diagnosed with adult ADD about 6 years ago. I did all the tests online and came to the conclusion that I should go and get checked out. After talking to the physiatrist a few times and doing the usual diagnosis stuff, we came to the conclusion that, I indeed did have Adult ADD and I should be on medication for it (I should mention that I was on Paxil for depression prior to going to see the physiatrist). He took me off the Paxil and started me on Dexedrine Spansules, and after playing with the dose I was at 25mg for about 5 years. It worked good, kept me balanced for the most part, but of course if I would stop taking it I would LOOSE MY MIND after the 2nd or 3rd day. I didn't notice it a much as my family did, I would feel like they were the cause of my anger and frustration, and that they were the one that are all out to lunch, but in the back of my mind, I knew that it was me. I felt like I would be tied to these meds for the rest of my life.

I'm not a particularly thin person, so this Christmas I wanted to try a carb free diet. I started cutting back on the carbs before Christmas, but I had every intention of eating Christmas dinner. Anyway, back to the point, my wife bought me a book for Christmas called Wheat Belly written by DR. WILLIAM DAVIS. I started reading the book before New Year’s and decided that we would go Wheat free on Jan 2nd (I don't like New Year’s resolutions). This decision has changed my life. Everything about my life has changed in 2 months. I have full concentration better than ever before in my life, even on the Meds. My memory is getting way better. I feel calmer and more relaxed. I can read faster and I don't seem to have as much of the generalized dyslexia that comes with ADD. NOT nervous at all, about the things that used to bother me before. I have a way better relationship with my wife and my kids. SEX is a way different experience when you are not nervous. Like I said “changed my life".

I have to add, It seems to be just Wheat not gluten or nothing else that I eat, so I did a test about a week ago, we had Pizza with a Regular Crust and within 4 hours I was confused and in an argument with my 13 year old son. After the whole family was confused about what was going on, I sat on the couch and realised that I felt "Drunk", and that there was something definitely wrong with ME and it was the wheat in the pizza crust. Now I’m fine again.

I would recommend to anyone that has been diagnosed with ADD to try going wheat free for a month and see how you feel. My brother did it about 3 weeks ago and is having the same reaction as me.
Please let me know if this helps.

Do you notice any problems with dairy? I can't have dairy and I'm starting to think I'm also intolerant to wheat. I've heard wheat intolerance can cause intolerance to dairy.

Lunacie
11-04-12, 06:55 PM
Allergies can cause ADHD-like symptoms but they can't cause ADHD.

Allergies can increase the symptoms of ADHD is someone who has ADHD.

Our family tried a wheat-free diet a couple of years ago, but saw no benefit.

(I have ADHD, one granddaughter has ADHD, one granddaughter has Autism).

We do have other allergies that affect how we think and how we feel.