View Full Version : I've been taking wellbutrin XL300mg for a month...no responce, really

gatorADDe
02-27-12, 03:09 AM
been taking 300mg XL wellbutrin and it's not helping my ADD on its own. It's not strong enough. Have you heard of adding stimulants (adderall) on top wellbutrin to make if more effective or uppung the dose to 450mg?

For those with experience I'm open for suggestions

jennyb2492
02-27-12, 11:48 AM
I have taken Wellbutrin 300xl daily for 10+ years, and was diagnosed (finally!) with ADD in January this year. I have been on Adderall 20mg xl twice a day for about a month. I asked both my psychologist and my MD about continuing the Wellbutrin and they both said to continue both meds, at least for now.

The Wellbutrin did help my depression, but left me with many other symptoms that no one connected with ADD until my son was diagnosed last year and I started researching. The Adderall has filled in those gaps. Honestly, I think the ADD symptoms were causing my depression, and I might look at going off the Wellbutrin in the future to see.

hollywood
02-27-12, 02:48 PM
I cannot tell which is better. That is taking wellbutrin or not taking it. I'm on the fence about it. I guess I feel with wellbutrin that I'm always dialed in.

mjoy79
02-27-12, 08:24 PM
been taking 300mg XL wellbutrin and it's not helping my ADD on its own. It's not strong enough. Have you heard of adding stimulants (adderall) on top wellbutrin to make if more effective or uppung the dose to 450mg?

For those with experience I'm open for suggestions

I was on Wellbutrin for several years. Just now starting meds for ADD (but taking another anti-depressant). I think Wellbutrin helps a little (for me at least) but there is so much more to be desired. If I was in your shoes I would discuss this issue with your doc - they might consider adding a stimulant. Good luck!

Abi
02-27-12, 08:40 PM
Wellbutrin is not a first line treatment for ADHD.

If you have no good reason for taking stimulants, I dont see why you arent on them.

You can also combine Wellbutrin with a stimulant if necessary.

Wellbutrin doesnt seem that helpful with stereotypical Combined type ADHD.

It's more likely to help the ADHD-PI/SCT & people like myself who are not "really" ADHD but experience symptoms due to bipolar or other mood or anxiety disorders.