View Full Version : Weird Habits?

-nyr0c-
02-29-12, 01:46 AM
Don't know why I felt like sharing this, but was wondering if anybody had any habits that they are begining to connect to their ADHD in someway?

Well, for me, mine's nail chewing. Actually, it's more like finger biting and peeling; that's a better description. People tell me I'd have the cutest, most feminine hands ever if I didn't tear at my cuticles so badly. My mom always says they look like "raw hamburger" (I know, kinda gross. Sorry.) I've made some attempts to stop, but the sad thing is, I don't really want to. I've found that when I have absolutely nothing to do, when I'm sitting with people I don't really want to talk or listen to, or when I'm stressed out, I get so much comfort out of chewing on my fingers. So pretty much all the time, even when I'm having a seemingly interesting conversation with someone.:umm1:Yes, it sounds weird, but I always make excuses for myself, like "Hey, at least I don't smoke or drink and I'm not addicted to crack or something.

My parents have constantly tried to keep me from doing it, but I know I can't quit unless there's conscience effort from me to want to quit. That's the problem.

Anyway... anybody else got some kind of weird, not necessarily self-destructive habit they'd like to share?

Piper30
02-29-12, 09:29 AM
I count things...

I prefer even numbers to odd. Like I am more likely to post on a thread that has an odd amount of comments so I can even it out...lol typing that made me feel silly.

Right now, I am sitting on my back porch on my laptop. Before logging on I was sitting here day dreaming, and thinking ..without realizing it I had counted the branches on the tree in front of me. I avoid looking at porch steps as there are only three, which annoys the heck out of me...wish there were four.

NATIVE762
02-29-12, 07:48 PM
i like to talk funny-mean on the comments sections on the internet, i just find it funny how people react to what i say....

-nyr0c-
02-29-12, 07:59 PM
i like to talk funny-mean on the comments sections on the internet, i just find it funny how people react to what i say....

Lol, I love to read those when I'm in the middle of class; I don't ever comment though. I don't think I could put up with all the trolls on sites like MSN, but I sure like to laugh at them.

Love the avatar, btw.

TrackerJacker
02-29-12, 08:00 PM
Sometimes I'll just make random noises when I'm by myself to fill the silence.
"Meep"
"Blurp"
and "Uhmanum"
are just a few examples. I never do it in public, of course, but I have a lot of weird quirks that I don't reveal in public.
Edit: I forgot to add this, but I can totally relate to the biting/picking habit. Ever since I was young, I've had a habit of biting my cheeks, lips, tops and sides of my tongue, and the skin around my fingers. I've never purposefully hurt my cuticles, because it makes me a bit squeamish, but sometimes it tears off if I bite the skin on the side of my fingernail.

Fraser_0762
02-29-12, 08:01 PM
If i'm ever outside and walking on a path made out of sqaure slabs, I MUST avoid stepping on the gaps between each slab, I need to step on each slab perfectly, or I hate myself for "messing up".

-nyr0c-
02-29-12, 08:18 PM
Tracker Jacker:

Are you my twin?!? I do this exact same thing, only most of my noises resemble somthing a cat would make. I "meow" a lot, especially when I accidentally bump into someone, and I even do it around other people to break tension.

Oh, and with the biting thing, when I tell myself I need to stop biting my fingers, my mind goes "But you can still bite your cheeks!" and that's what happens XD.

Fraser:

Are you my other twin?!?! Lol, I'll do this same thing when I'm bored, hoping from one tile to another and avoiding the spaces. When there are other people around, though, I just step over them, but they still look at me like, "Is she five years old?"

Peachy87
02-29-12, 08:27 PM
I count things...

I prefer even numbers to odd. Like I am more likely to post on a thread that has an odd amount of comments so I can even it out...lol typing that made me feel silly.

Right now, I am sitting on my back porch on my laptop. Before logging on I was sitting here day dreaming, and thinking ..without realizing it I had counted the branches on the tree in front of me. I avoid looking at porch steps as there are only three, which annoys the heck out of me...wish there were four.

Piper, I have a fixation with even numbers also! My tv, radio, etc volume, HAS to be on an even number. I feel like something bad will happen if I purposely leave it on an odd number. The thermostat in the house, I am constantly changing it on my parents, if it's an odd number.

Fuzzy12
03-01-12, 02:51 PM
I prefer even numbers to odd.

I like all even numbers (not too keen on 6 though I'm not very religious) and only odd numbers that contain a 5 or 7. I quite like 13, but that's an exception. I try to make things match these numbers as well. :o

IOCharles
10-16-12, 11:58 AM
OP, I also have a habit of biting my lips and messing with the skin on my fingertips. I wish I could stop doing it.

I also step to avoid cracks on the sidewalks or on floors when my ADHD is acting up.

Aspie88
10-16-12, 08:35 PM
I have this habit of drumming with my fingers especially with music and I always though that it was because of my Asperger's but now I think it may be my ADHD .... :/

There's other factors that come into play, like the possibility that I might be manic/depressant or Bipolar (or whatever it's called now) which I strongly think I have.

But it could be something totally different because there's other factors there, like how Asperger's have some the schizophrenia traits and etc...

Flory
10-16-12, 08:53 PM
i think that launching at people for rough and tumble times can be linked to adhd, so they say ;)...when i was younger and my dad was trying to rest up/relax before bed i used to run into his room and circle round his bed chanting...i dunno wtf my problem was :|

SpiderJeruz
10-18-12, 02:51 AM
Posting something on a website, or sending message/text and checking on it every 30 seconds. I can sit for hours and do this. Luckily a post many things on many online forums and can skip around from tab to tab. It's still a waste of time. I'm glad I have other things to occupy my time like chores around the house, music, visual art, writing, and exercise to keep me from going insane.

I do this with video games too. Can't ever play for more than thirty minutes to an hour at any given time. I blaze through dungeons/levels/matches when I do play though. I like it though. It makes games worth the money. I have probably 20 video games on my Steam account I have barely touched.

I walk. I walk, and walk, and walk. For miles. I've walked 40 miles over the course of two days. I try to keep in shape and eat healthy. When I walk the time flies by. The settings change like crazy and it's just my ADHD addled brain in the midst of it. This is not weird per-say, but sometimes I leave without saying a thing and don't come back home for days. I think my family thinks I'm crazy. Hell, I am crazy.

Nail biting, chain smoking, and compulsive cleaning. A regular person would have to be on Adderal or some Amphetamine to function like me. I'm high-functioning, but at the same time I get stuck doing the same thing all day. I can't multi-task at the rate other people can. S'why I quit school. What I can do is get **** done, and get is done well.

I've got ADHD, and I've got it bad. I tell ye' whutt.

Buzz23
10-18-12, 02:52 PM
I pick my nose. :eek: :o

I know it's gross, but like the nail-biters here, I can't seem to force myself to stop. I have tried so many times! It's oddly...comforting to me. :scratch:

I also pick at my hangnails, but only when I'm stressed or nervous.

SquarePeg
10-18-12, 04:15 PM
my son used to chew his toes and well as his fingers until he was about 9 years old, horrible.
My daughter has just stopped this habit (she was seeing a psychologist) although she still moves her legs constantly.

She says itīs relaxing. My son no longer bites his nails.

Perhaps you could try to switch it for another habit, like foot tapping or chewing pens.

Phoenix Ash
10-22-12, 10:02 AM
I sometimes get into this mode of scratching my scalp incessantly while I'm reading or on the computer. It doesn't itch; I'm just compelled. I'll spend hours absently scraping away, only stopping to periodically clean the accumulated grime out from under my fingernails before going back and looking for a fresh patch to scrub at. Sometimes I'll end up bleeding a little. :o

Now that I write that down it sounds really gross. Tempted to delete it but I'm gonna make myself post it anyway...

arrested_truth
10-22-12, 12:05 PM
For a while I was struggling with nail biting habit... it got really bad and made me extremely upset because at that point I could no longer use my nails to 'scratch an itch' which is something I apparently take a lot of joy in being able to do.
SO WITH MUCH VIGOR I made a successful progression to no longer "biting my nails off" every time I went to school... and found a somewhat happy medium where I am able to just 'trim my nails' regularly instead of ripping them all off. Some are shorter than the others but they are no longer down to the skin--where it hurts.

But since then I have gained the habit of biting the skin on my bottom lip; it's pretty bad sometimes I'll just tear it off even if my lips aren't really chapped... oh well...

arrested_truth
10-22-12, 12:06 PM
I sometimes get into this mode of scratching my scalp incessantly while I'm reading or on the computer. It doesn't itch; I'm just compelled. I'll spend hours absently scraping away, only stopping to periodically clean the accumulated grime out from under my fingernails before going back and looking for a fresh patch to scrub at. Sometimes I'll end up bleeding a little. :o
Now that I write that down it sounds really gross. Tempted to delete it but I'm gonna make myself post it anyway...

I do this too... feel less ashamed :lol: :eyebrow:
I think my body has a 'dead skin sloughing' problem... along the lines of Keratosis Pilaris; so it's grown to be a *skin-refreshing* habit for the most part, if you want another way to look at it...

:scratch: <---haha

Phoenix Ash
10-24-12, 09:16 AM
I do this too... feel less ashamed :lol: :eyebrow:

Thank you for helping me feel less ashamed too :)

I think my body has a 'dead skin sloughing' problem... along the lines of Keratosis Pilaris; so it's grown to be a *skin-refreshing* habit for the most part, if you want another way to look at it...

I'm guessing you've tried things like shower scrubs and those nylon pouffy spongy things? (Don't know what they're called, sorry!)

I did used to have really dry skin on my face and somewhat on my limbs but over the years I've found some really easy, effective solutions. I still occasionally get a little KP on the backs of my arms but it's not a big deal anymore.

Anyway, I don't associate my scalp scratching with a skin problem per se; it's just a weird periodic compulsion for me.

:scratch: <---haha

PS: I almost used that smiley too...:scratch: heehee

Spacemaster
10-24-12, 09:25 AM
Ok, I'll admit to scratching my scalp too. I can't stand if there's a piece of dead skin. How gross. LOL However, I went to a fancy cosmetics store, and they had this machine there that you could actually see a close up of your scalp. Everyone there was jealous of my almost perfectly clear scalp! :LOL:

I pick the skin on my lips if there is any flakes

When taking a walk, I'll gauge how many steps it takes per square, and I make it a point to walk the same amount of steps per square without stepping on the cracks.

More to come...

Phoenix Ash
10-24-12, 10:03 AM
When taking a walk, I'll gauge how many steps it takes per square, and I make it a point to walk the same amount of steps per square without stepping on the cracks.

I used to do this exact thing. I drove myself nuts with it for years and finally I forced myself to make a huge conscious effort to stop. I still catch myself wanting to do it sometimes so I try to make myself look up, away from the sidewalk. I *think* I've broken the habit... but then I've been so housebound lately it's hard to say. :rolleyes:

justaguy
10-25-12, 05:42 PM
im not sure if its a habit or not but..sometimes i get so caught up in a thought or memory, that i start breathing as if im completely immersed and reliving it. same happens with music too, i start breathing in rhythm to whatever song i'm remembering.

people tell me it sounds odd, like im breathing wierdly XD

silivrentoliel
10-25-12, 05:59 PM
im not sure if its a habit or not but..sometimes i get so caught up in a thought or memory, that i start breathing as if im completely immersed and reliving it. same happens with music too, i start breathing in rhythm to whatever song i'm remembering.

people tell me it sounds odd, like im breathing wierdly XD

I do that too, DH always thinks something is up, and I have to tell him that there was a song stuck in my head.... I get this look :eyebrow:

hanikamiya
10-25-12, 07:01 PM
I love walking on the kerbstone, or on people's garden walls or if I can't either, on those lines created by the tarmac top being repaired. When the way is paved, I'll try to find a straight line in the pattern and use that to walk on. It's not as fun as balancing on kerbstones or walls that are only as wide as my foot and are elevated on both sides, but it still is more fun than just walking.
I really like the feeling when my attention shifts more to the present because otherwise I'd fall down.

I also scratch my scalp, and any other bit of skin that is bumpy or crusty.
And I use the rims (or folds) of my clothes to clean my fingernails. It feels really nice, and I do it when nervous as well. Or when thinking about something, I just noticed.

And I look for patterns. Like, with rectangular tiles, how many rows and columns you need to get close to a square. Stuff like that.