View Full Version : MD Suspects Torettes...I don't!

Komod0Dragon
02-29-12, 06:24 PM
To be straight to the point, whenever I tend to go 8 hours or longer without food I tend have a set action which everything goes black (with my eyes & in my mind) and I have weird actions with my arms and body.

Example, this morning I was holding a carton of Almond milk and as I was pouring it into a glass, everything went blank and I dropped the carton and almost fell on my butt in the kitchen.

If I'm holding something, I'll drop it. If I'm standing, I'll fall down and not stop myself because I have zero control; from being conscious to unconscious and then conscious seconds later.

I managed to get some ipod videos of me having them and the doctor thought it was a form of Torettes and it boggled me because this *only* happens when I go long periods without eating (8+hrs) or get a short amount of sleep (4hrs or less).

Though admittingly I haven't had a glucose test yet to see if it was a blood sugar count.

namazu
02-29-12, 07:32 PM
Admittedly, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I agree that what you describe really doesn't sound like Tourette's.

In addition to blood sugar issues, you may also want to ask the doctor to rule out:
- a seizure disorder (like which can get worse with lack of sleep or inconsistent eating habits or stress for some people) and
- hypotension (low blood pressure, which can result from several causes)
- other???.

And if the doctor is convinced that loss of consciousness is Tourette's, you may be well advised to find a new doctor, ASAP!

rickymooston
03-17-12, 08:17 PM
To be straight to the point, whenever I tend to go 8 hours or longer without food I tend have a set action which everything goes black (with my eyes & in my mind) and I have weird actions with my arms and body.

Example, this morning I was holding a carton of Almond milk and as I was pouring it into a glass, everything went blank and I dropped the carton and almost fell on my butt in the kitchen.

If I'm holding something, I'll drop it. If I'm standing, I'll fall down and not stop myself because I have zero control; from being conscious to unconscious and then conscious seconds later.

I managed to get some ipod videos of me having them and the doctor thought it was a form of Torettes and it boggled me because this [b
*only* happens when I go long periods without eating (8+hrs) or get a short amount of sleep (4hrs or less). [/b]

Though admittingly I haven't had a glucose test yet to see if it was a blood sugar count.

Hi, the lack of sleep is your "diagnosis". Did you mention that fact to your doctor.

I can even sometimes "see things" when I dont' get enough sleep.

I'm not sure about 8 hours without eating. We go 8 hours without sleepiong at night.

purpleToes
03-17-12, 08:59 PM
OP's description doesn't sound like any symptom of Tourette's I've ever seen. I was thinking seizure, same as Namazu, especially because of the relationship to hypoglycemia and lack of sleep, which both lower seizure threshold, I believe.