View Full Version : Can't sleep at night

Faramir
03-02-12, 01:23 AM
For some reason, I always have a hard time falling asleep at night. I can never just put my head on the pillow, close my eyes and fall asleep. Even on days when I wake up early and got little or even no sleep the night before I still end up going to sleep very late.

What can I do to fix this? Could I be doing something wrong?

namazu
03-02-12, 01:28 AM
For garden-variety falling-asleep tips, you can look up "sleep hygiene" in your favorite search engine.

A more ADHD-specific tip... Check your meds, if you're taking meds. Are they keeping you up? Alternatively, are they wearing off too soon and you either get distracted and don't make it to bed until late, or your head is busy and you can't sleep?

Do you get enough exercise? Could you do something very active, come back and take a warm shower, and then go to sleep?

If all else fails, ask the doc for ideas.

gatorADDe
03-02-12, 01:43 AM
I had the same problem for a few years. I dunno why I waited so long to ask my doc for help because it could of helped me out a lot sooner. There are a lot of medications out there for insomnia. I tried everything from exercising mildly to very intensely to every OTC sleep aid available and nothing worked until I was prescribed ambien. A lot of people are hesitant to take sleeping pills out of fear of getting addicted to them but if your consistently having trouble falling asleep why suffer?

Faramir
03-02-12, 08:15 PM
For garden-variety falling-asleep tips, you can look up "sleep hygiene" in your favorite search engine.I'd actually never heard of sleep hygiene so I did a search and the first search result that came up contained what seemed like sound advice.

Do you get enough exercise? Could you do something very active, come back and take a warm shower, and then go to sleep?I don't exercise very much nor am I very active during the day so that could be a reason why I'm not tired enough to fall asleep. Makes sense.

Brob2
03-02-12, 10:36 PM
I don't exercise very much nor am I very active during the day so that could be a reason why I'm not tired enough to fall asleep. Makes sense.

These tips should help, but every report I have read always states that routine is critical. I think ADHD'ers by definition have issues sleeping because of our usually active minds and motivation issues, but it's so important for us it might be the first line of defense in treating ADHD (well, at least for me:)).