View Full Version : Do I Have Inattentive ADD?

meepz11
03-04-12, 05:56 AM
So, I've only today really come to a conclusion that I may have Inattentive ADD. I am 26 years old (turning 27 shortly) and have had some major problems in my life that may be the result of this. No one has ever suggested that I may have inattentive ADD however, so although it rings a lot of bells to me, I am still not sure and could really use some help.

Some background. I am 26, as stated, and all through school I really never put in any effort. I never completed homework (pretty much ever), and whenever I did have to do something it was always last minute, and an absolute pain. That said, I still did rather well in most school subjects (math, science, legal studies, etc), up until I was really required to study, and I simply didn't. I still scraped into University however (on an a crappy degree), and went on to complete that in the same fashion. I was always considered by people around me to be just lazy. My whole lifestyle was just that. I am disorganized, I am often late to things, I forget about events/times, etc all of which ring true to inattentive ADD. However I am beginning to think there is perhaps more behind it.

Following completion of that degree my mind kind of took a negative path, and I slipped into a depression. Although there were some other minor issues behind this depression, it was not something that should of overtaken my life as it did. I was suicidal, and it took a few years to really seek proper help. Now I am talking with a psychologist, and generally making positive progress in my life in the depression regard.

However, having enrolled back in University, I've realized just how much I struggle to focus on learning is. I find myself often spacing out, and although I don't have an issue understanding the concepts, I struggle to keep up with them (in terms of learning, due to study issues).

Anyway, I am just curious what people who have experienced this might think. I am likely going to bring it up with the psychologist next time I see them, and wanted to really understand it a bit more. Thank you kindly.

Driver
03-04-12, 06:03 AM
It's quite possible that ADD is the underlying cause of your depression and the issues in the your life.

I suggest you see a GP to rule out any medical issues that could cause your problems (blood sugar, thyroid, etc) then get a referral to a psychiatrist.

sarahsweets
03-04-12, 10:08 AM
Have you always experienced these issues since childhood?

meepz11
03-05-12, 10:24 AM
Well, I am only really picking up on them now. Until now, I was just consider/and had consider myself a bit lazy. But that said, this has been an issue since I was a child. I never completed any homework, and did the bare minimum to make it through. It is hard for me to entirely place what I was thinking at those times, but I do have the distinct feeling of never being interested in something long enough for me to really want to focus and dig in to it. I would focus somewhat in class, and pick up on what I needed to know, and then just float by on that.

I think that I got away with this a lot due to natural ability (and the fact that my mother never particularly believed in ADD, etc), and that may have contributed to why it was never picked up. I am only given it more thought now after having experienced the major depression, and am attempting to get my life on track.

Thanks for the help. I intend to bring this up with a professional sometime in the next week or two, however I am really just researching at this stage, so I can get some understanding.

meepz11
03-05-12, 10:26 AM
I should add, that many of the common traits of inattentive ADD were also evident all my life. Sluggishness, disorganization, forgetting dates/appointments (what I deemed trivial matters), etc.

josh1109
03-05-12, 12:55 PM
Personal opinion - i believe you show many traits of ADD, However i would like to know why exactly it was you could not do homework, and why you could not achieve the best to your ability. In other words what was it that was stopping you and holding you back? let me know. All the best

Kilbey
12-05-13, 08:54 PM
I know this is an old post.

If you can see that he has traits of ADD, you must know a thing or two about ADD. You must know that it makes it nearly impossible to put a plan together to reach a goal. The most important goals to you just seem to never get closer.

Personal opinion - i believe you show many traits of ADD, However i would like to know why exactly it was you could not do homework, and why you could not achieve the best to your ability. In other words what was it that was stopping you and holding you back? let me know. All the best