View Full Version : One of my roommates is stealing my adderall. what should i do?

Michelle87
03-07-12, 11:27 PM
I've been living with 3 roommates for a few months now - 2 guys and 1 girl. We get along well for the most part, but I suspect one of them is stealing my adderall when I'm not in my room. I just have no idea who is stealing them. I get 90 30mg ir pills a month and take them as prescribed... but for the past few months I've been running short and it keeps getting worse. Like a few months ago I was short by a few days and now I'm almost 2 weeks short!

My 2 male roommates occasionally buy add meds from their friends, but don't seem to have a problem with it. They also smoke weed every day. My female roommate has a prescription for ritalin but seems to run out of them quickly, could it be her? When she runs out of ritalin she takes ephedrine and lives off energy drinks... she just doesn't seem like the type who would steal from me! She's very nice, kinda shy, always cleans, etc. My male roommates are very outgoing, party a lot, experiment with other drugs, but don't seem like the type to steal.

I thought it was their friends at first who occasionally come over, but whoever is stealing my adderall takes only a few pills at a time so they must be doing it every other day or so. It has to be one of my roommates right? I feel like I can't trust any of them and don't know what to do right now... I only have 8 pills for the next 2 weeks and I KNOW I haven't taken that many.

We live in a suite and all have our own bedroom, but share a common area. I have them hidden in my room and I try to lock my bedroom door every time I leave the apartment, but they're still being stolen! It's gotten to the point where I have to lock my room just to take out the trash which takes less than a minute, but sometimes I forget. I think the thief waits to steal them in the brief 1-min occasions when I don't lock my door, which is even more shady.

I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm very non-confrontational and feel very betrayed. How should I bring this up without making everything awkward between us? Should I even bring it up? Should I hide them better? I keep them in my room but have been thinking of keeping them in my purse, even though I don't like having the whole bottle with me all the time

Blueranne
03-07-12, 11:35 PM
Set up a hidden camera. You wont be able to avoid the awkward moment when you confront them but at least you won't have to put up with them denying it.

trishcan
03-07-12, 11:39 PM
I want to say "take them with you when you leave," but of course... I know those of us with ADHD aren't the best at not losing crap, so that may be a poor solution, as well.

The hidden camera also works, yes. Leave your webcam on, maybe, with the meds "hidden" within the view. However, the ultimate outcome of that is...you're going to need new roommates. They all sound like prime suspects to me. I feel like you'd have better luck finding roommates on craigslist.

Or invest in a safe?

ginniebean
03-07-12, 11:43 PM
I'd just announce, I don't give a **** who is stealing my meds, someone is, they're locked up now. (get a lock box, even having it locked some of the time might work some)

gatorADDe
03-07-12, 11:47 PM
hey here's a simple solution... hide it in a place they can't find it.

cattail
03-08-12, 12:37 AM
Oh, man that is the worst! Feeling like you have to hide stuff in your own home! How frustrating! I know confrontation sucks and I don't know what I would do if this happened to me. It sounds like you are taking the blame for the uncomfortable awkwardness after confronting them. Remember that you have done nothing wrong and are completely entitled to a home where you and your stuff are safe and respected. Do what you have to do to take care of yourself first in this situation. Perhaps they are thinking the same thing, but they are stealing, you are standing up for your self.

Also, do you want to live with people who would steal from you and make your life more difficult by causing you to go without something you need to function so that they can abuse it. Probably not the best people to share space with. You are right, it is shady with a capital S!

If moving is not an option then I agree with Ginniebean, just acknowledge to everyone that you know it is happening, no need to know who, but that your meds are locked up and it needs to stop. Perhaps mention that you actually need them to function and stealing them is putting you the a very difficult position of going without. They aren't fun drugs for you but needed for a medical condition. If the thief has a problem then they may not be realizing how much they are taking and think you aren't noticing.

Seriously, why do people have to be ********? I try to be understanding of how serious addiction is, but to steal from your roommate is just the worst!

Abi
03-08-12, 05:59 AM
I'm with Ginnie.

sarahsweets
03-08-12, 06:07 AM
You're going to have to grow a set I think. Its a crime and if you mentioned the notion of police I'm sure your meds would be ok but you would have to stick to it. If you say this and meds are still missing call the police and report it ..
then move.

Abi
03-08-12, 06:23 AM
Yikes, don't mess with sarah!

sarahsweets
03-08-12, 07:29 AM
Yikes, don't mess with sarah!

And then you can tell the roomies to go f**k themselves!

eeilyk
03-08-12, 07:41 AM
Are there any laxatives that look similar? Because replacing your meds with them would be a hilarious way to find out who's stealing them :P

Abi
03-08-12, 07:43 AM
I concur with eeilyk's suggestion.

Hahahahaha.

LanCo Rider
03-08-12, 07:57 AM
This is the reason that my meds and other valuables stay in a lock box and my bedroom door is locked when I'm out of the house for more than a half hour or so. I'm pretty sure my room mates know better than to mess with my stuff though. I keep my 9mm ammo next to the lockbox as a "reminder" to stay away from my personal belongings.

Phantastic
03-08-12, 08:21 AM
Blueranne's suggestion followed shortly thereafter by the threat of Sarah's would be an excellent option...

Sure, you can just announce it as Ginnie suggested, but at the end of the day you are living with people you won't be able to trust. I don't know about you, but that would drive me INSANE.

Find the thief, webcams are cheap. :)

hollywood
03-08-12, 08:59 AM
Simple. When all the roomates are present take your cell phone outside and initially fake this call, come back in the room and then act exhausted and tell the guys or whoever your going down to the police station and does anybody know where it is. They will ask why and say had something stolen from my room and I left the door unlocked . Tell them you had a schedule 2 narcotic and their have been reports of this happening all around the area in your subdivision or living area and say it's a huge deal to the university now. Say you first have to report it to the cops and make a statement and then with the university and they are going to come and fingerprint your room. Then let out a big deep yell and say I can't believe somebody in our area is jacking my adderall and that you told your parents and they called the cops and now your reporting the thing and having the room ran for prints. Then say you have to go home to because your mom and dad got you a lockbox and have a friend the narcotics division who is going to come talk to you too for questions about leads and that he's going to questiong you and it's a real pain. Tell them that. That'll stop it cold.

DryBones
03-08-12, 04:03 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why anybody shares that they are prescribed SchII narcotics...

Urgezz
03-08-12, 11:37 PM
Lol there are some quality suggestions here that will be quite amusing as well, but ultimately it comes down to one mitigating factor: do you still have to live with these people no matter how awkward it gets? If so, avoid confrontation and just hide them better, you can still webcam them for your own sanity! trust me I've had some TERRIBLE roommates in the past the tension will ruin your life.

if not..
+1 how to catch a predator :giggle:

gatorADDe
03-08-12, 11:38 PM
drybones, exactly. Why do people need to know you take adderall?? i don't see what good it does for other people to know, perhaps your immediate family. I've been taking adderall and vyvanse for 8 months and I have yet to tell my roommates about it. They dont need to know, it's none of their business. I wanna avoid this exact situation.

eeilyk
03-09-12, 10:21 AM
I trust my friends and everyone that comes into my house. My friends and family know about my condition and the medication I take, I have spent years trying to get a diagnosis so it was good to talk to them about it..

hollywood
03-09-12, 10:25 AM
I certainly deserve thanks in my post. Can't believe it . Not one thankyou. You adderall people are a funny group. I deserve like 3 thanks if not more fellas . Where is the love?

Lunacie
03-09-12, 10:40 AM
I certainly deserve thanks in my post. Can't believe it . Not one thankyou. You adderall people are a funny group. I deserve like 3 thanks if not more fellas . Where is the love?

Not everyone enjoys all that drama.

Plus, it was a complicated scenario and I'd forget at least half of that
stuff midway through my performance.

I'd just buy a lock box - and tell the other roommate who keeps running
out early to do the same. I'm pretty sure it's the party-guy roomies who
are jacking the meds. Probably not for their own use so much as selling
them to pay for their party stuff.

hollywood
03-09-12, 11:38 AM
things are sometimes not always as they seem though and people like this will go to extremes if not firmly warned. You never know of the physical status of the person getting stolen from. Personally I played college baseball so I could put out a warning and be fine, but I've heard of stories where roomies literally kicked the crap out of roomates for adderall or whatever. You be shocked from what I've seen and heard. Once I was sleeping and I roomed with baseball players and some meat head football players broke into my room after a worning, it was 4am. After a all out brawl that turned into the whole complex in my apartments with thugs outside and guns blazing, I literally had to be separated from 2 guys with weapons because I was beating them up so bad because they broke into my room with one of my housemates..... You think playing it calm will help with schedule two drugs and some people. You never know. I suggest you re think playing it with one ear to the curb.

JR1973
03-09-12, 12:45 PM
Call the police. Where I live (Virginia) that is a serious issue. Unauthorized possession of a C-II medication is a Class 5 Felony......

For Class 5 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than 10 years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

Lunacie
03-09-12, 01:28 PM
Call the police. Where I live (Virginia) that is a serious issue. Unauthorized possession of a C-II medication is a Class 5 Felony......

For Class 5 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than 10 years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

I don't think the police could do anything unless there was some evidence
or proof - such as the hidden camera catching someone in the act of
stealing the meds.

AC360CNN
03-09-12, 07:08 PM
This is completely normal. Generally, humans steal, lie, etc. Its expected. Just get a small shoebox sized safe and keep your pills in there. Just do that and move on with life and don't waste any more thoughts about it.

We all lie, cheat and steal, and make excuses or rationalize why its ok when we do it. No one is above this. Its human nature.

Michelle87
03-09-12, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Here is an update:
Today all my roommates were gone. My college is on spring break and they're all home. btw I live in a dorm/apartment so I'm stuck here.
Anyway, I was out shopping and when I get back to the apartment, the door was unlocked. I always lock it when I leave so I figured one of them was back. BUT the door to my room was also unlocked, and I made sure I locked it. At my apartment we have electronic key thingies and they only give you one. The only other people who can open my bedroom door are the apartment and maintenance staff. They're all college students and there's like 12 of them who work in the main office, they're kinda like RA's.

ANYWAY I went down to the main office and told the main lady in charge the whole story and luckily they have video footage of the whole building. So she said she would go through it and call me back. Well it turns out one of the girls who works here went into our apartment today when I was gone, but they can't prove she stole my pills. She got fired but only because she didn't have an explanation for why she was in our room. I'm ****** off but also kind of relieved. I'm glad I never brought it up with my roommates. I just can't believe this girl has been apparently breaking into my room?

AC360CNN
03-09-12, 11:50 PM
File a police report, just to have an official record of this. The police will give you a police report number and you should get a physical copy of the actual police report.

The police might be able to do more too.

gatorADDe
03-10-12, 01:10 AM
Today all my roommates were gone. My college is on spring break and they're all home. btw I live in a dorm/apartment so I'm stuck here.
Anyway, I was out shopping and when I get back to the apartment, the door was unlocked. I always lock it when I leave so I figured one of them was back. BUT the door to my room was also unlocked, and I made sure I locked it. At my apartment we have electronic key thingies and they only give you one. The only other people who can open my bedroom door are the apartment and maintenance staff. They're all college students and there's like 12 of them who work in the main office, they're kinda like RA's.

ANYWAY I went down to the main office and told the main lady in charge the whole story and luckily they have video footage of the whole building. So she said she would go through it and call me back. Well it turns out one of the girls who works here went into our apartment today when I was gone, but they can't prove she stole my pills. She got fired but only because she didn't have an explanation for why she was in our room. I'm ****** off but also kind of relieved. I'm glad I never brought it up with my roommates. I just can't believe this girl has been apparently breaking into my room?

Did you notice anymore pills were stolen when you got back to your room after this happened?

cattail
03-10-12, 09:15 PM
I thought you said they were disappearing when you left the room for short periods while your roommates were home.

Were there pills missing after this girl came in?

This is very weird, it will be interesting to see if it stops after your roommates come back from break. I would still get a safe though, just the best thing for yourself anyway. No matter who is doing it, going without meds sucks!

Dubwise
03-10-12, 11:45 PM

Regardless of the situation with this employee you should invest in a firesafe. They are not that expensive (This one is only 35 dollars) (http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-1900-FIRE-SAFE-Chest-Cubic/dp/B00006IBHF). Keep your medications in this and only take out what you need for the day at one time. They are not that hard to break into but breaking into it will destroy it and so they will not be able to steal from you undetected. The bottom line is that you are always going to have potential thieves in your life as long as you are friends with people who party/use drugs and know you are medicated for ADHD. It is better that you do not give them the opportunity to steal from you rather than to trust them and have that trust violated.

oneup
03-11-12, 04:40 AM
That's breaking and entering--she had no reason to enter your room. You might be able to get her arrested for this, and could take her to small claims court for the cost of your medicine + aggravation, if your willing to go through the hassle.

Flory
03-15-12, 07:02 PM
omg !! that is seriously f***ed up ...my doctor told me that i mustn't tell anybody about my drugs unless they need to know for exactly this reason because there is a worrying trend of people without adhd abusing the medication particularly at universities...in future do not share that you are on medication in the first instance aside from anything else its dangerous.. Lock that sh*t away, because effectively you are allowing somebody access (although not intentionally) to a controlled substance which here in england and no doubt in the usa is a criminal offence !!! in hospitals drugs like these are locked away in cabinets, mine stay tucked away in my handbag out of safe reach !!

Flory
03-15-12, 07:05 PM
add to that if somebody stole my concerta (even though it would be their own fault) i'd feel so awful if anything happened to them...dont put it on show in the first place, its like locking medicines away from children ! i'd seriously confront them about it and tell them that they have put you in a position as well because they are using YOUR drugs...nobody comes near my tablets..especially not at 100 pounds a month ($200) if you cant lock them up keep them on your person

spunkysmum
03-15-12, 07:13 PM
Lock box. And in case they try to break into it, put a card in it that says "Thou shalt not steal."

spunkysmum
03-15-12, 07:14 PM
Also, it is a crime to do this since it is a controlled substance. Your roommate could get in some SERIOUS trouble over that.

Content ID
03-15-12, 07:39 PM
Suggestion, if you have any leftover bottles from prior months put it in place of were you put your Adderall now, stuff a note in it saying "Stop stealing it you're lucky I'm nice and didn't call the cops on you" and put your stuff in a lockbox. Problem solved.

Lunacie
03-15-12, 07:41 PM
omg !! that is seriously f***ed up ...my doctor told me that i mustn't tell anybody about my drugs unless they need to know for exactly this reason because there is a worrying trend of people without adhd abusing the medication particularly at universities...in future do not share that you are on medication in the first instance aside from anything else its dangerous.. Lock that sh*t away, because effectively you are allowing somebody access (although not intentionally) to a controlled substance which here in england and no doubt in the usa is a criminal offence !!! in hospitals drugs like these are locked away in cabinets, mine stay tucked away in my handbag out of safe reach !!

You have the whole month's supply in your handbag that you take
everywhere with you - which you could forget and leave someplace -
which could be ripped from your hands by a thief - and then what
would you do for meds for the rest of the month?

I don't think a handbag would have stopped this person from going
into her room and taking some of the meds while she was taking the
trash out as she mentioned happened at least once.

I've never heard of anyone in the US being prosecuted for having
legally prescribed medications in their own private bedroom. If some
scumbag steals it, it's the scumbag who should go to court.

Flory
03-15-12, 07:47 PM
good point lunacie i never looked at it that way, my bag is unlikely to be stolen where i live but lost is another issue..damn adhd.....

tbh its also because im afraid if anything happened to me i.e i were to black out/ be found unconscious i'd like them to know what medication i was on..

...not that this happens EVER but i am a worry worm

bethinhfx
03-15-12, 08:28 PM
not cool- personally I would just take my meds out of the bedroom or get a little locked box- problem solved.

Flory
03-15-12, 09:56 PM
Also, i was just stating that it's your own responsibility to look after your medicine!, i wasnt suggesting that she would be in any trouble for having medications prescribed to her in her own room (although i think the way i wrote that wasn't clear) however it IS a controlled substance and you have a duty to take care of it as such. It has the potential not only for abuse but dangerous outcomes when used innapropriately hence the black box warning and red tape at every avenue when you try and get it prescribed legitamately. in any case why run the risk of allegation?

If you know that your roommates and some of your guests fool around with drugs particularly adhd medicine AND furthermore that they are privy to the fact that you are using such drugs...the first thing you should be doing is locking those mothers up regardless of if you trusted them or not, it'd be nice to think that you could trust your housemates or whomeever it was that was stealing but sadly they have proven themselves otherwise...yes they are wrong to steal them (absolute d'bags) but why offer up the chance for them/anyone to do so by leaving them around. The solution is simple..lock them away.

In any case i hope that the thieving of your meds stops and you at least get an apology from your housemates, its not a very nice position to be put in they should at least offer up some money towards your next script.

spunkysmum
03-16-12, 01:27 AM
I posted earlier suggesting a lock box but forgot to mention the most obvious thing of all - how I handle keeping my meds safe myself. I always have them on me. I don't have to worry about any of the people I live with stealing my meds, but I never go out for any period of time without having them with me. I never lose them unless I lose track of them in my bedroom or the wrong coat pocket or something. When I'm out they are with me and my purse never leaves my sight.

Lunacie
03-16-12, 09:50 AM
good point lunacie i never looked at it that way, my bag is unlikely to be stolen where i live but lost is another issue..damn adhd.....

tbh its also because im afraid if anything happened to me i.e i were to black out/ be found unconscious i'd like them to know what medication i was on..

...not that this happens EVER but i am a worry worm

You can get medic-alert bracelets that will tell emergency responders or
doctors that you have ADHD and they need to check your records and
see what you're taking.

I'd like to get one for my granddaughter as she wouldn't be able to explain
much to the emergency responders as she has Autism - but she won't
wear jewelry of any kind. She has high-functioning Autism and speaks
very well and clearly most times, but cannot explain things. Autism is
complicated.

eeilyk
03-16-12, 09:56 AM
I keep all of mine in my bag.. I cleaned my bag out today and had 2 bottles with a few pills in them each, tipped them into my mostly full bottle, but realised how bad that could look if i got pulled over and tested positive in a roadside drug test.. LOL. Thankfully they all have my name on it so i can't REALLY get into trouble.. I just forget to take them out after going to the chemist..

Flory
03-16-12, 01:54 PM
You can get medic-alert bracelets that will tell emergency responders or
doctors that you have ADHD and they need to check your records and
see what you're taking.

I'd like to get one for my granddaughter as she wouldn't be able to explain
much to the emergency responders as she has Autism - but she won't
wear jewelry of any kind. She has high-functioning Autism and speaks
very well and clearly most times, but cannot explain things. Autism is
complicated.

OOOOh thanks for that idea lunacie ! sounds like a good idea, do pharmacists ordinarily have that dort of thing ? x

Lunacie
03-16-12, 03:44 PM
OOOOh thanks for that idea lunacie ! sounds like a good idea, do pharmacists ordinarily have that dort of thing ? x

I can't say for sure about your side of the pond. I checked the Walgreens
site because that's the pharmacy we use the most. They carry all kinds of
medical alert bracelets that can be engraved with your personal info.

And ... they have some with little flash drives that you can load your
personal information onto and can be plugged into any PC to find out the
most up-to-date info. We often have to change meds from time to time,
so this would save getting a new bracelet with the list of meds we're
taking this month. Too cool.
http://img2.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/89912200226_220x220_a.jpg

Flory
03-20-12, 11:56 AM
i ordered some I.C.E (in case of emergency) dog tags in pink and silver and had my details engraved on to them :) xx thanks for the idea lunacie :D

Lunacie
03-20-12, 12:05 PM
i ordered some I.C.E (in case of emergency) dog tags in pink and silver and had my details engraved on to them :) xx thanks for the idea lunacie :D

You're quite welcome. I hope you won't ever really need them, but it does seem like a good idea.