View Full Version : Any way to decrease dopamine release?

sbcy
03-08-12, 05:25 PM
I feel like desoxyn is acting a little too much on my dopamine receptors but the serotonin effect is helpful though not enough since i have OCD. Is there anyway of potentiating the serotonin effects or decreasing the dopamine effects?

relax21
03-08-12, 09:32 PM
What dopamine effects are you getting? What serotonin effects do you expect?

sbcy
03-08-12, 10:14 PM
What dopamine effects are you getting? What serotonin effects do you expect?

My ocd usually gets worse from desoxyn but i feel sort of relaxed too. It's kind of weird.

tambourine-man
03-14-12, 03:02 AM
Um... I take an SSRI. Desoxyn shouldn't have a major effect on serotonin at prescribed doses. It is smoother and more relaxing partly because it is is methylated.

If you are getting OCD effects you should lower the dose. You can also take a very low dose of Seroquel in the evening to prevent dopamine burnout.

purpleToes
03-14-12, 05:17 AM
Um... I take an SSRI. Desoxyn shouldn't have a major effect on serotonin at prescribed doses. It is smoother and more relaxing partly because it is is methylated.

If you are getting OCD effects you should lower the dose. You can also take a very low dose of Seroquel in the evening to prevent dopamine burnout.

Is dopamine burnout a concern with other stimulants (I take Dexedrine), or if there aren't signs of tolerance occurring? Some years ago I took Dexedrine for a couple of years with no tolerance problems. I was also taking Zoloft at the time.

tambourine-man
03-17-12, 05:20 PM
Is dopamine burnout a concern with other stimulants (I take Dexedrine), or if there aren't signs of tolerance occurring? Some years ago I took Dexedrine for a couple of years with no tolerance problems. I was also taking Zoloft at the time.

Not really. The only time I notice any issues is when I don't eat and sleep properly. Otherwise I experience NO tolerance to speak of on either medications.

tenko
03-18-12, 11:03 AM
Bupropion blocks dopamine release (and weakly prevents its reuptake)

Methylphenidate blocks the reuptake of dopamine (occupies the dopamine transporter, preventing release)

Antipsychotics (haloperidal, chlorpromazine, clozapine, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone etc)

Dopamine-blocking Antiemetics (metoclopramide, droperidol, domperidone, promethazine)

Benzodiazapines (alprazolam, clonzepam, diazepam etc)

AddYourAll
03-28-12, 07:14 AM
None of us can answer this question. I know OCD is an anxiety disorder. I know anti-psychotics decrease dopamine activity. It looks from your sig tag that you have taken almost every class and kind of behavior med with little to no success. It looks like you are 'playing chemistry' with yourself too much. My advice: strip off the meds and get a new baseline to work with. It's like the saying..an old lady swallows a fly, then she swallows a mouse to get rid of the fly, then she swallows cheese to get rid of the mouse ...and so on...eventually, that's what taking these meds will be like. Trust me, I've been there, done that...coupled with a sh!ty shrink whose office visits last 15? min at the most?! and before you know it you're worse off, asking crazy questions on an internet board, rather than a republe psychotherapist. It looks like you have too many 'symtoms' over pathologized that could be managed other than popping another pill. That practice is an easy way to become a guinea pig. If I asked my shrink the question you posed?!...well, it would never get to that point. JMO

AddYourAll
03-28-12, 08:09 AM

These replies bother the hell out of me. From reading your desoxyn 'holy grail' sticky ( interesting BTW) along with other posts, it's quite obvious from readers replies, that many look to you as the forum/medicine/ guru. I know I've read many comments regarding your 'knowledgeable' post on pharmaceautical advice etc.
I know you are quite vocal about being an aspie (bad pejorative btw) I'm certain a fair percentage of members assume your posts are good advise.. or hold more certainty. congradulations. you immerse your-self with (self-proclaimed ) Bob Dylan, pharmaceauticals. even at times come across as cocky, show-offy - at least snapping a photo of desoyn and dexedrine.
My point: you are intelligent, but shouldn't give blatant recommendations to "take a very low dose of seroquel in the evening to prevent dopamine burnout" At the VERY least you should explain from 'own experience' or reference your advise. Since you mark your meds in sig tag so flamboyantly...how about a disclaimer ? There are many, many worse than you. I'm singleing you out because I have seen all your 'thanked' posts . With power comes greater responsibility as superman's dad said? This also suggests, the poster shouldn't talk with his dr about issue and is assumptive seroquel is a norm in the medicine cabinet. sorry to pick on you, I'm sure you've done more good than harm....I wish more members weren't so quick to dole at rxed instructions, though. this board is what it is

tenko
07-13-12, 10:49 AM
I thought only higher doses of seroquel produce dopamine blockade?

Abi
07-13-12, 10:56 AM
Reduce Desoxyn; Add Lexapro or other SSRI.

chris44
07-13-12, 04:43 PM
Add Wellbutrin (generic = Bupropion) or another Dopamine Reputake Inhibitor (SSRI's will NOT work). Methylphenidates may work as well, but those are tricky to dose with amphetamines. This may seem like it would only further increase your dopamine levels, but reutake inhibitors actually conflict with releasing agents (of which all amphetamines, including methamphetamine, are). The reuptake inhibitor will place a 'soft-cap' on your dopamine release, meaning, with the right dose of a reutake inhibitor such as Wellbutrin (probably within the range of 150mg-300mg extended release), your normal dose of Desoxyn will be unable to release more than a certain amount of dopamine, though a substantial dose increase can overpower the reuptake inhibitor

Wellbutrin is your best option. It is the cheapest option (it comes in generic), the extended release is taken only once a day, your doctor will most likely be glad to prescribe it in combination with your existing medications, it is used for both ADHD and as an anti-depressant on it's own, it is fairly mild, and it is a 'substituted' amphetamine (meaning, it's chemical structure bears a tiny bit of resemblance to that of amphetamine, though it's effects are very different). It is also a schedule 3 medication, meaning you don't need to worry about another monthly prescription that you would have to get from your doctor, and it is, like Desoxyn (and it's generic), not affected by a drug shortage, unlike Adderall and Dexedrine.

I, and many others from what I've read, find that it 'blunts' the normally gradually peaking effects of your daily doses of Adderall/Dexedrine/Desoxyn. The 'highs', which the time periods where the drug is most active and the highest dopamine release is achieved, are less pronounced; you have a lower peak, but all else is the same. It will not wear off sooner, as that building up to the peak will instead be building up to a sort of 'plateau' where a consistent dopamine level is maintained for awhile, usually until the normal time that the medication begins to wear off. It is common for the duration of your amphetamines to feel lengthened a bit as well, in addition to having much less (often no) of a 'crash' if you are someone who experiences diminished (as a result of depletion) dopamine and norephinerine levels at the end of the day when your medicaiton wears off, typically manifesting as a 1-2 hour period of slight irritability, lack of energy (lethargy), and/or a slightly depressed mood (though I personally experience none of these). NOTE: WELLBUTRIN WILL NOT COMPLETELY NEGATE DESOXYN/ADDERALL/DEXEDRINE IF THE DOSE IS LOW ENOUGH.

Imagine a gradual ascending curve on a line graph (increase in dopamine being on the Y axis, time being on the X axis, while the line represents increase in dopamine levels over time). Normally, that curve keeps getting higher and higher until it peaks then immediatley begins to curve back down. With a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, that curve begins to increase as usual, but lets say, halfway to your usual peak (for example) it just levels off in a straight horizontal line. That straight horizontal line is maintained until the usual time where you reach that point on the descent from your normal peak (point being where the horizontal line is on the Y axis, meaning increase in dopamine level, of the graph).

Notably, Wellbutrin does NOT have any significant effect on Serotonin. It is probably your best bet, followed by Concerta, then Focalin, then other methylphenidates, then I'm not certain as to what else is available but I think the next option would be tricylic antidepressants, which would probably cause more harm side-effect-wise than the benefit of lowering dopamine levels would be worth.

You could also consider reducing your dose or finding a mix of...

-Adderall (75% d-amph 25% l-amph), which has the highest norephinerine release, moderate (middle) duration, and lowest dopamine release out of the medicinal amphetamines, on a miligram by miligram basis.
-Dexedrine/Dextrostat (100% d-amph), which has the moderate (middle) norephinerine release, shortest duration, and moderate (middle) dopamine release out of the medicinal amphetamines, on a miligram by miligram basis
-Desoxyn (100% d-mamph), which has the lowest norephinerine release, longest duration, and highest dopamine release out of the medicinal amphetamines, on a miligram by miligram basis. It also releases about 2.5x as much Serotonin than the equivalent (miligram) dose of Dexedrine/Dextrostat, though it is mostly negligible.

The usual, though rough, dose comparisons of dopamine release (not taking into account duration of effect, norephinerine, or serotonin)
10mg Dexedrine/Dextrostat = 13.33mg Adderall = 5mg Desoxyn

The above ONLY applies to Instant Release medications IF you respond well enough to either Adderall and/or Dexedrine/Dextrostat to use them.

I'd personally ask your doctor for 150mg Wellbutrin (generic) 24hour Extended Release to be taken in the morning daily. If 150mg is too much, drop down to 100mg or 75mg. If 150mg is too little, increase to 300mg.

I personally take 150mg (generic) Wellbutrin 24 hour extended release daily, in addition to 30mg (generic) Adderall IR in the morning, and 5mg (generic) Desoxyn at noon and 5pm. I find the combination to be very effective with no side effects asside from a loss of appetite between 6am and noon (the duration of the Adderall).